The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Vernon Spinning Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The Vernon Spinning Coin
Does anyone have this effect, how good is it?

I found it here:
http://www.remotecontrolmagic.com/cgi-bi......95.23575
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
It's not a trick. It was a coin minted several years ago in honor of Vernon. It may have been put out during his Farewell Lecture Tour, but I'm not sure, but it is just a coin with a little bump in the center so it will spin. On one side is a silhouette of Vernon and on the other is rings, cups, etc. It's pretty cool. I think it was minted in chrome and then a silver limited edition. But, no, it is not a trick.
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
Dennis Marks (5711 Camellia Ave., Suite 209, N Hollywood CA 91601) Has a mearketed effect called Spirit Cut using the Vernon Spinning Coin for 15.00

You can get the routine from him by mailing the money to the above address.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
There is another trick I believe. You can tell by the sound which side lands up after it spins.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe there were TWO "mintings" of this coin--the original Vernon final tour coin given to attendees at his lecture and another, later, memorial-type. These are distinguished by a subtle difference in the "stamping". I imagine some our history buffs can be more specific...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have this coin, I find it truthfully to be of limited use. Good for one find a card trick, and not much else. Admitedly the effect does look pretty magical, but it doesn't stand up to master dai's brilliant sleight work.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The idea behind spinner coins is "Who Pays"

Somewhere on the upperside of the coin there should be an indicator or small arrow. I don't have the Vernon one, but I have pespsi, skoal, jack daniels, and a couple from buisnesses that are gone.

This was a common grifter item. Its use was to get a mark to drink in a bar and show fairness since either could end up paying. A seeminlgy harmless thing and didn't draw suspicion like buying round after round for a stranger. It also got the win/lose rush going so they were easy to talk into playing other unknown to them crooked games.

Outside of that the confidence man would pay for all small resteraunt tabs and spin for the larger ones. Over time only paying 50% of the larger bills payed the small ones and still returned a small profit.

On the Vernon coin the shape of the profile looks like the pointer.

I have one of the pepsi coins in my pocket now. They are the best. A tiny bit smaller than a quarter.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
You can tell which side the coin lands while your back is turned. I found it pretty hard to tell but it is a nice looking coin.

Best,
Bradley
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Talk about resurrection of a post!

It is designed to not only spin on the table but to spin on the tip of a pen.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I purchased a Vernon Spinning coin when I visited the Magic Castle on Valentines day in 1978 when Vernon worked there. The Castle sold them, it is just a metal of some kind that is chrome plated, very thick and heavily.

The spinning coin was more of just a gag then anything else. As well as a souvenir.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I believe there's also a David Roth Spinning coin.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Well, you can also put the *secret powder on the cards then spin the deck with the coin under it. The cards will cut to the selected card.
James

*acrylic nail powder
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Vernon Spinning Coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL