The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Boris Pocus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-11-20 18:04, daffydoug wrote: I don't care WHAT I have to sit through to get to the core effects. If jay wants to prance around naked on the DVd, all the more power to him.

My sentiments exactly… Er… except for the prancing around naked thing, that’s were I draw the line.

This is how I basically look at all magic, not just Sankey material.
Quote:
Just give me a few dynamite effects on the DVD, and I'll take em and run with 'em.

Smart.
Quote:
I'll do 'em in my own personality and style, and it goes without saying that I will not don a wig and mustache and try to imitate the Boris charachter.

Smarter.
Quote:
I have enough creativity in me that I can come up with an original presentation and make the effect entertaining in my own style and way.

I have no reservations.
Quote:
I relate to that, because I am one of those people too. it's a charge, and audiences love it

Enjoy!
Quote:
I think Jay did the Boris thing, not so much for money, (Although that is surely near the top of the list) but mainly I think he did it because it was just plain fun for him.

I agree with this entire statement.
Quote:
And isn't that what we are ALL living for? That is, to fullfill our dreams in life?

I know I am.
Quote:
Don't be so HARSH on others you don't quite understand or see eye to eye to, because that Karma is guaranteed to boomerang back to you and hit you in the noggin at a time when you least expect it.

Ouch! Been there, done that. Still trying to get it right…
Quote:
I am truly looking forward to the Mona Lisa effect, and several others that I hope to add to my reportoire.

Me two! Or three or four or…
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, I take back what I said about a buck naked jay. I was trying to get across the gist of a thought. Besides, "buck naked" is reserved for Paul Harris, another magician who kicks butt, INMO, but is severely criticised on this forum. Go figure.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Faintalinium
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Faintalinium
Jay Sankey is definately one of the funniest cardmen that I know. Seriously, who would go out to wear a wig and put out material as a different persona. IMO, I like Mona Lisa cause it kills.

Faintalinium
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Answer: someone who doesn't give a hoot about fitting in everyone elses little mold! Sankey rocks!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I hated this DVD and I thought Boris Pocus was annoying, and very repetitive.
Over and over he would say "this trick is strong very strong." I didn't even watch the whole DVD because it was so bad. I like Jay and I think he is very funny, but on this one he bombed.
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
190 Posts

Profile of atrudo
I think the DVD is great and have found PLENTY of strong tricks to add to my show. Some of the impromptu card effects make their way into my act very frequently. I also personally like the Boris character. I think Jay deserves much more respect than we tend to show him here.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Quote:
On 2004-11-07 12:46, Platt wrote:
It's all about the effects. If they're good that's all that matters.
The Mona Lisa effect fooled me.

This character seems like a very unfunny attempt at doing the Ali G. thing. But that's why there's HBO.

And Daff I also agree with you in that it is the content/method that we are learning... not an attempt to imitate someone's style...

I'm surprised that nobody made the connection--the kids I'll understand--but can ANYBODY say 'Tony Clifton'???

thanks,
Jay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Boris Pocus (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL