The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Getting the right corner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
In the thread about silk gimmicks Bob Sanders mentioned using small safety pins painted black to find the correct corner of a silk quickly & easily. Paul Diamond recommends using buttons on his video Symphonette In Silk. I am concerned about damaging the silks by sewing something on them or poking holes w/ a pin. I like Bob’s recommendations better because: A) It is less permanent & B) I can’t sew. Anyone had a problem doing this? Any recommendations?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-14 04:46, fccfp wrote:
In the thread about silk gimmicks Bob Sanders mentioned using small safety pins painted black to find the correct corner of a silk quickly & easily. Paul Diamond recommends using buttons on his video Symphonette In Silk. I am concerned about damaging the silks by sewing something on them or poking holes w/ a pin. I like Bob’s recommendations better because: A) It is less permanent & B) I can’t sew. Anyone had a problem doing this? Any recommendations?
I didn't follow anything re the above question, but actually not too long ago I wanted to *secure* unraveling of some not too well done sewing of my 18" looking diamond shaped silk for the TT vanish..

What I did was simple..

I very carefully dipped a corner into *glue*, the kind I used was the glue they use to glue tree, it is white and kind of thick, but gets transparent when dry..any other glue might do.

Now this *preparation* will make the edge of a silk easily to *feel*, as it gets a bit *stiff*...and DON'T dip it too deep, in my case I only dipped about 2-3 mm of the edge, that was/is enough for my purpose, which was an entirely diff. matter, but for stagework, what I suppose you have in mind, you might dip a bit further..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use small craft beads.

Regan
Mister Mystery
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I really like the glue idea, thanks!

If the silk has a hem, you can usually insert a few grains of rice in the hem on each side of the corner you need to identify.

If it's a Devil's Hankerchief, it's an easy matter to insert a small button in one or two of the corners and sew it shut. Some Devil's Hanks already have the little buttons or some other way of quickly identifying the proper corners. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have had a button sewn into a couple of silks for over twenty years with no problem. Basically, it is a silk you only use one way and with one fold so it doesn't matter. The pins would work but I can feel the buttons (two different sizes for right and left) quickly.

For my devils hanks I make, I seal inside the fabric two small craft beads since you do not want them seen.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
There is one thing to mention..
Silks and silks are many diff. things, thicknesses and qualities..
Silks used on stage normally are not only large but much more heavier/thicker and a pearl can easily sewn on a corner.
In case of what I used (glue) this is the thinnest silk almost possible one can handle and use, as it has to occupy as less space as possible..

As mentioned heavy silks should use a smal pearl, a button just to indentify a certain corner by *feeling* sounds a bit of an overkill to me, but I can't know the handling nor quality/heaviness of the silk..rather thin silks can't get a button or almost anything else get sewn on -I think, but heavier once easily can....
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sewing a button or craft bead on is a good idea. When I have done this, I backed the silk with a small piece of matching material. Look at your button down collar shirts, they have a small piece of stiffing material to re-enforce the thread.

I use a Rice Butterfly silk and could not use this method due to the compact place stored before the production. So I marked the top corner with a very small magic marker dot on the seam. One dot for the right hand and two dots for the left. This way I display the silk the proper direction. The border was red so a black mark shows up for me with ease.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I believe in one of the Jeff McBride "Magic on Stage" videos, he recommends making a corner tab from electrical or pvc tape (matching color) by doubling it over and taping it to both sides of silk corner (the tape is angled at 45 degrees).

Duane Laflin uses this method as well on one of his video tapes. BTW, you can get a package of pvc tape at Walmart in the paint/masking tape section of the store.

Ron
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks to all who responded

Ron, when the tape is removed does it dammage the silk? I am talking about doing this on a Rice butterfly and a large set of Mis-Made flags.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Much has been said regarding the durability of silk. It is strong! It can take a little needle and thread. Get your hands on Rices Encyclopedia and you'll learn a great deal more than from any DVD/Video series on the subject.
POOF!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I've not tried the pvc tape method, but I think all would be okay as long as you're careful when removing it.

Ron
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would think it would leave a little adhesive residue on the silk.

You might consider taking a small peice of matching color fabric. Place a piece on each side and sandwich the silk in between. Use a light basting stitch to hold it in place. The strain of the thread will be on the other fabric not the silk.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I use stick on velcro dots. They work very well.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Darkwing,
Doesn't the fabric snag on the velcro?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
It depends on whether you attach the velour (Vel) or the crochet (Cro). A small knot always suited me.
POOF!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-10-14 04:46, fccfp wrote:
I am concerned about damaging the silks by sewing something on them or poking holes w/ a pin. I like Bob’s recommendations better because: A) It is less permanent & B) I can’t sew. Anyone had a problem doing this? Any recommendations?

When I became a magician I learned to sew. I thought that was a requirement. Smile

I'm not great but it really comes in handy. A button or bead or just attatching the thread to a corner is easy to do. Sewing with a small needle makes such a tiny hole that it does hardly any damage to the silk. Besides, when I decide to sew something on a silk, I consider that it is a permenant addition to the silk, so the holes will never show. If the item comes off or the thread breaks you can put the needle through the same holes again.

Regan
Mister Mystery
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
On one production where I have only one corner to locate I use a small knot in the cornor. This works okay, but I like the buttons better. I've used buttons on several other effects. The problem I see with cloth tabs is that they feel too much like the silk. You can feel a button right away. I have seen silks where the cornors ripped because the silks were yanked out of a production area too quickly too many times with all the force on the button.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
How important is it that the silk be absolutely right side up and showing the right side out?

The reason I ask this is because I see so many magicians intentionally using our The End silk upside down and backwards. (It is cute that way.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I tie a small knot...Cordially,Howard
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
With the 2006 elections coming, this could have a Republican slant: Right Corner!

I use a two bead system. One is larger than the other. But I have used the knot system too. It improves your odds, even under stress.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Getting the right corner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL