The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ellusionist DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
Why do many people dislike these dvds. I own most of them and for a change they deal with the public and are produced in a very very high standard. The explanations are fantastic and the approach is innovative. I own quite a few different dvds and am sick and tired of seeing the same audience (L&L) time after time. How many times must we watch 'John' gasp in amazement as these professionals perform. L&L produce some great dvds but please at least change the audience !!
Ellusionist take the chance and go out there, give their opinion which I feel is fair. Watch some of them and open your mind, you might find that you enjoy them.
Professionals out there on L&L, you deserve more, ask for some fresh faces in the audience, don't rely on the 'John' etc, you don't need them
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
The reason why people hate(d) them is because the routines were not credited and the sleights were renamed... I believe this was the case with the first few vids(ninja)... The more recent ones I believe gives proper credit...There was a big debate over this on various message boards... If you own the earlier vids, then I suggest you do research on the real names of the sleights he used, otherwise you might one day pass on this knowledge to young grasshoppers and it will lead them to jump in the wrong direction...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
If you like performances on the street, check out Gregory Wilson's On the Spot. It's impromptu magic and Wilson is excellent.
el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
I had Ninja 1 and 2 as a download. I had a hard drive crash and I have contacted Ellusionist several times to ask how I can buy a new download ( as they promise in their ads) NO REPLY.
Roxy
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Roxy
Have you submitted in their e-ticket section? They'll answer right away through email.
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
El Toro: Have you done as Roxy suggested? We normally answer all e-mails as fast and as thoroughly as we can.

Contact me at DM@ELLUSIONIST.COM and we'll talk.

David.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The crediting issue was a big problem but has been fixed. I know I don't like them because of their attempt to use the David Blaine tv specials and "street magic" as a means to make more money. Not just David Blaine's though, once THEM and Mondo Magic came out they suddenly stocked up on all of the tricks that were performed on those specials because they knew people would buy them, claiming they were "hand picked" (but really just sold because of the free advertising tv gave them). I also dislike their lack of originality. There are no original tricks sold that were made by the "professional" Brad Christian. Sure Brad Christian was taught by Slydini, half an hour every Thursday for 6 weeks. That means that he spent a total of 3 hours with Slydini. The way that the website talks about it though as though he studied under Slydini for a long time (such as someone like Steve Draun did to Ed Marlo). I think it's the lack of creativity that gets me the most.
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
I don't think lack of creativity is a bad thing. If Brad is good at teaching, but not necessarily a genius inventor, let him stick to what he's good at.

There's a ton of great magic on the market, and there's no reason to sell original tricks unless something you've invented truly is better than what's out there. As long as you're not ripping off other people's ideas, it's perfectly legitimate to just sell other people's creations.

Also, I think that they actually are original when it comes to their DVDs, because the style of teaching differs from all of the other videos out there. It's not necessarily better, but it's a different style.

As for selling only tricks that appear in TV specials, you're correct that Ellusionist seems to do that. But, if people want to buy tricks that they've seen on TV, what's wrong with selling them? And what's wrong with trying to make more money by selling what people want? That's the whole point of being in a business, as long as you stay within moral boundaries.
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
David:

You must have issues with a lot of magicians then. Too bad you've closed so many doors before you've had a chance to peek through and see what's on the other side.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Their Street Magic DVD is not bad, I must admit that.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I like their products and they are good people to order from.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
It's not about getting the latest effect, it is surely about an effect that will stimulate and excite those that we are performing to. Yes if it has been done on television, perhaps people will not appreciate it as much. The main point of my post is that the ellusionist dvd puts its self on the line, obviously there is editing but that exists in every dvd ( and television look at david blaine ) Give the ellusionist dvds a chance and for those already up there, climb down from your ivory tower and look at some people trying to help those that are learning with some excellent instruction. ( I do wish they wouldn't bother with the women prancing around half naked- boring after a few shots )
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
2.95 for shipping isn't expensive and I don't give a ** if it r sum1 else's tricks I buy them to learn and I think brad is 1000 times more interesting and more enjoyable to watch then lets say .. you know who;)
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Uh....no. I DON'T know who. Feel free to elaborate and perhaps you can eliminate the pre-pubescent "Chat" spelling. ( r sum1????)

If you're trying to help Ellusionist by this post I'm afraid you've failed miserably.
Felix Cardician
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Felix Cardician
That "John" on LLPUB videos is beginning to be somewhat a celebrity...
imagine him guest starring magic shows and lectures all over the world lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ellusionist DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL