The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 Fly, Coins just sliding? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I've finally decided to start working on the classic 3 fly effect. I'm using 4 Walking Liberty half dollars (that are pretty worn). Unfortunately, when I'm practicing the trick, it just looks like the coins are sliding together (when they appear in my left hand, when I vanish them it looks alright). Is it just me, or should the trick look like the coins just appear there rather than slide into view? How do I prevent it from looking like I am just sliding coins around?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
A few ideas came to mind:

A slight shake of the hand at the moment of revelation.

Direct attention to the appearing coin first, then back to hand from where it vanished.

Don't slide the coins... Practice "snapping" them into place.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
By the way, I'm using Gary Kurtz's version (but with an extra coin and not the shell)
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
David, do you have Kainoa's book?

If you have Kainoa's book, read through his version of the effect, then re-read Krutz.

The one I do is a combination of Kurtz, Harbottle, Brewer, with a little bit of Latta's palm thrown in for some displays.

Chris
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Instead of a shake, try moving one hand forward and one back.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
David,

The "sliding" look is tough to eliminate, especially in the Kurtz handling, if you know what I mean. Obviously, the first goal is to make sure no one sees the coins in motion. When your cover motion (if you're using one) is done, the coin should be motionless and in position.

Next, have a definite moment in mind when the audience sees the coin that appears. The goal is to focus their attention so that everyone knows the exact moment when the coin "arrives". This requires that you have a specific image in mind. Do the coins float across, "snap" across, go up on one side and down on the other, or do the coins appear at the end of your reach, and vanish while everyone's looking elsewhere?

The movement you choose to "propel" or "Catch" the coins should not look like the same movement you'd use if you were merely, say, sliding the coins behind each other. If you slide side-to-side, try an up and down movement, or as Pete suggested, an in-out movement.

Even with all of this, it's difficult to make the last coin appearing at the bottom of the fan look good. That's inherent in the position, since the other two coins provide too much cover for a really impressive appearance. You might want to consider Reed's solution. He hands the coins to a spectator as they travel, so each coin appears alone. Or, (and I think this is in Gary's handling) don't produce the last coin in the fan. Or try Kainoa's approach. He shows both sides of the fan and the hand before the last coin snaps into view.

Or do yer own thing. Onward...
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
In Jonathan Townsend's upcoming book the exact timing will be explained. Something that most of the other descriptions of VCA/3-fly lacked.

For me, knowing how to direct the audience attention in the vanishes and reappearances made all the difference from an ok coinmanipulation to an eye-bulging "twist of reality".
The effect can be so much more than is usually shown...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
stevie1
View Profile
Regular user
perth,australia
180 Posts

Profile of stevie1
Hey thanks so much for your cool advice guys.I recieved Unexplainable Acts and Wilson’s 3FLY the other day,so your helpful advice is very much appreciated.
I know it's been said on numerous occasions but recieving such friendly and thought provoking tuition and tips from guys like yourselves is truly unreal.Thanks once again..
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you want to start off on solid ground in this field, you might look into The Ramsay Legend by Andrew Galloway.

The time you spend getting comfortable moving coins around in your hands, and displaying them at your fingertips is an investment.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
The Ramsey Legend is certainly a great place to start...
I have tried to perform many different three fly routines, including Daryl's and Reed McClintocks...i have currently moved a way from these style of routines (although I still perform a variation of Duc Nhien's Belgian Fly, which appeared in Genii)...
The best version I have ever seen is Mickey Silver's Spil Fly...truly magical!
Owen
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
It is too bad that the Galloway Ramsay Series isn't reprinted in a more affordable printing. Also a more easily found printing. And what the hell, how about bigger type( I AM getting old!)?

Kirk
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have an extra copy of The Ramsay Legend (spiral bound). First $25 gets it.

If it's Kirk, I'll toss in a magnifying glass.

PM me.

Frank

Sorry, the ramsay legend book has been sold.
Wow. Should have done that a long time ago.

Principles and Deceptions anyone? Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
OK to save Frank from the avalanch of PM's I have graciously taken him up on his offer. I hope it is a magnifying glass on a chain I can wear around my neck so it is handy.

Kirk
stevie1
View Profile
Regular user
perth,australia
180 Posts

Profile of stevie1
Kirk..man you got in quick Smile
Thanks for the tip bout this Jonathan,coming from you makes it all the more special
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I have not yet seen the Ramsey Legend videos/DVDs put out by International Magic, in England...but I can assure you that these are great tapes, and they are bound to contain Galloway's/Ramseay's thoughts on the subtlety...check these out at: http://www.internationalmagic.com
Owen
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Just bought 2 Ramsay books form magic books by post in the UK. £15 each
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Ramsay books are primary sources for my work. I had to go looking for the old Farelli books, and older magazines to learn this stuff. The attention management behind his magic is where I started my investigations. If you want my coins across to work properly, the fast path starts with this material.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I need to dig out Principles and Deceptions? I haven't looked at that book for a while. I don't remember a 3 fly type routine in it. I'll break it out when I get home tonight and take a look at what's in there.

~Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 Fly, Coins just sliding? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL