The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Who here works cruise ships? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Who here works cruise ships that can give me some advice?
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Here's mine.

1/ Don't have a steamy affair with a passenger
2/ Don't get involved with onboard politics
3/ Booze & overeating are an occupational hazard, if you play hard, exercise hard
4/ Don't work the ships until you're ready, you don't get a second chance with some agents/cruise lines
5/ Don't think you can learn up a couple of routines in your cabin to make up time.
6/ Don't underestimate the sophistication of some audiences. I've worked some of the top rated ships in the world. These guys have seen the best acts in the world and you have to be working at that level.
7/ Don't overestimate the sophistication of some audiences. I've worked some of the worst rated ships in the world.
8/ Don't accept anything less than "passenger status"
9/ Don't be a typical magician and force yourself on people, showing tricks. That being said, the more people you meet, out and about, will help your audience size and ratings.
10/ Do, first day on board, seek out and schmooze the hairdressers/beauty salon. Get a haircut, buy them drinks, introduce yourself, read their palms whatever. Half the passengers visit that establishment and the girls will work for you by spreading the word. This was the best advice I was ever given.

BB
Totof
View Profile
New user
Belgium
72 Posts

Profile of Totof
Read here http://www.jeanboucher.com/magic-ship.html articles from Jean Boucher about working as a magician on cruise ship.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Cruising can be an awesome lifestyle! I have found that it seldom is a "half-way" thing for most performers. Either you LOVE it and it loves you (which IS important!) or NOT.

It's worth you effort to appropriately research it and do you due diligence on the matter before you jump-in un aware.

Good Job bro!

Also, do yourself a favor and invest in your self by getting Fred Becker’s book: “The Cruise Magician’s Handbook!”, it IS, by far the definitive work on the subject!

=> http://www.fredbecker.com/page19.html

Too: here is a link that I posted here some time ago that is of considerable value:

=> http://www.jimcoston.bizland.com/cruistfr.htm

This and so much more information can be found RIGHT-HERE at the Café'. Tale a moment to look back (Search) and see if there is some usable information that will help you get the ball rolling.

Maybe LOTS of you potential question have already been answered!

Maybe there are some answers to questions you would have never though to ask...

It's DEFINATLE worth a look-see!

Hope that helps some as well!

I am, as always, at your service and In His Service,
Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Thank you for the advice.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Quote:
On 2004-10-20 20:18, bubbleburst2004 wrote:
Here's mine.

1/ Don't have a steamy affair with a passenger
BB

Why not? A lot of passengers go on cruises to have affairs.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
You've either
1/ been watching too many reruns of the Love boat
2/ never read any of the books mentioned above
3/ never worked on a cruise ship yourself

hmmmm, let me guess
esoteric1220
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
5 Posts

Profile of esoteric1220
Having affairs with passengers is the fast track to being black balled. Even though 99% of the time you will get away with it, the one time "drama" or someone says something in the comment forms, YOU R DEAD! The line will not take you back. Stick with the staff, the Steiner girls(SPA) are usually easy! (just kidding)
Life is just a plane ride away!
CHRIS DEBONIS
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I would like to get into strolling/table hopping on cruise ships. I'm almost 49 and closeup is my favorite to preform. Do they have this type of position onboard? I got a booklet awhile back on cruise jobs for magicians but it was too old and didn't give me enough info. Thanks to all who respond.
Magically,
joseph
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Coneing is not allowed. But it happens. I have never done it. Why? The screw bar is full of lovely crew members. I am currently in a serious relationship with a beautiful english dancer. Ahh. She is amazing. And she is there every week. Not just for the length of the cruise. Why risk your job messing about with a cone? Ah, cone = passenger. Slang. I don't know why. I suppose because they are obstacles in crew members paths.

Will

p.s. Listen to bubbleburst. He is right on. Look out for "As the propellor turns."
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Will,

You're too young. Passengers are called "cones" because of he old Saturday Night Live skit - "The Coneheads." I can't believe they're still using that nickname for passengers. (I worked for Carnival in 1991-92 and they called them cones then!)

Michael
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
I’d been under the impression that they were called “cones” as a reference the cheat’s and con’s term for suckers/marks. As in the somewhat antiquated terms of Coney, Pigeon, or Gull- all based supposedly based upon the vulnerability of the animals that they represent. Coney is actually the earliest of these terms and was a colloquialism for a rabbit. As a matter of fact, Coney Island was so named for all of those Easter related creatures which once upon a time were all over that area.

I always just assumed that it was something of a derogatory term that the staff playfully used when the passengers weren’t looking.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Is that right? Well it's not just on Carnival. All the lines call them that. Had no idea that old SNL skit started it. I remember sitting on my mommas knee watching it as a wee baby.

Sillily, Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello Matt,

It's possible you are correct about the term "cone." I asked the other staff members about it when I worked there and they said it was after the Coneheads but that might be wrong. There may have been an assumption made!

Michael
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I'm always interested in the derivation of words. I can't see the connection between SNL's Coneheads and cruise passengers - unless it is a French cruise line.

Gianni
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

The explanation I was given was that passengers were as "clueless" as the Coneheads.
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Michael,
Isn't it just a shame how we loose the meanings of our own colloquialisms? Maybe it is the coney heads, maybe it's the bunny... hell, it may not be either. These things seem to loose much of their meaning in the mirth of time I suppose.

Gianni,
Yeah- I agree, the histories of words are quite interesting. Hehe, we need to get someone that's a magic etymologist to start keeping track of terms like these.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

I asked about this this week and they census says is that the guests are like cones in the road or wet floor sign. Something to avoid unless you must work. It's not meant to be disrespectful but do you know how hard it is to smile and greet everyone you see? That is what they must do.

I get to wave and walk by. If they start to chat in the elevator I converse. Always say "enjoy your day" after sharing an elevator ride as they exit. Set an example for the guests and this helps keep them feeling social. Besides I grew up in Oklahoma and we always talk to strangers. Well, not as kids but we watch our folks do it.

Not sure if that is the original origin of the word but that is the word on the I-95. That is the main hallway that the crew uses. Guests aren't allowed there.

Why do they call it I-95 you might ask? Well I always assumed it was because it is the main crew highway therefore they gave it a name like a highway. Come to find out an I-95 is the card any non- U.S. Citizen must carry to get off the ship and on in the states. Where the connection is I don't know?

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Haha, it would look as though both Michael and I were looking too deeply in to this one. Now that I think about it road cones do seem to make the most sense for the colloquialism.

-Matt (TK)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Who here works cruise ships? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL