The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escapes from Rope. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Has/Does anyone here know where I can find a Rope Tie. that one can be tied up by a Spec. and Escape and have your Asst. get into the same tie you were just in. is this possible or just a Bunch of Molarkey ?
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
A good start is "33 Rope Ties And Chain Releases" by Burling Hull, which has many such things, along with notes on audience handling, set-up and the like. The section on the hundred foot rope escape is particularly good, going into detail on every aspect of that routine. It's only a fiver or so too.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
That's one of the First Books I ordered from Wheeler-Tanner Years ago. but no book I have found gives/shows me a Rope Tie that I can use behind my back and have/let my Asst. get into the same time I was in before.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Sort of piecing together what you're after here.. is this for a substitution illusion? Any of those old spiritualist ties will do the trick, as they relied on being able to get in and out of them quickly in order to produce "phenomena" before being revealed still bound. As for the behind the back bit, most wrist ties will do fine with a bit of practice; my own recommendation would be a figure of eight tie (page 11 in 33 Rope Ties...) as you can easily loosen it enough to slip out your hands, and your assistant can easily pull it tight again by pulling the binding tight between the two loops after slipping their hands back in.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Helen yes it is your also a Mind Reader where can I get information on the spirit ties. will like to try several diffrent ties but I need/want a spectator to tie me up or should the spec be a stooge.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Basically try any general magic text written around 1900-1920, as spiritualism (and exposing false mediums) was very much the fashion at the time.

I'm not being funny, though, that Burling Hull book has loads of suitable ties; flicking through just now, I counted at least three more ties in there that are straight out of the spiritualists' playbook.

The figure of eight knot is as easy as they come for a spec to apply; all they have to do is wrap the rope around the centre and tie it. As far as most people know nothing could be fairer; the fallacy that this is an effective form of bondage is a common myth amongst many "bondage experts" in the fetish scene (though in fairness they tend not to be used to people who make any effort to get out). You can even do a simple hogtie escape based on it.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Taking this one step forward, could this be done with a zip tie do you think? Or even tape?

Oh and if using tape, please remember to shave the parts of the arm that the tape will be stuck to. Believe me when I say that it really hurts if you don't. If you have arms like mine, I've even started to bleed escapeing from tape. OUCH!!!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
There is an old book out there called Harbincabadra (sp?).

In it is a VERY interesting version of his Assistants Revenge.

It is EASY to build and will do EXACTLY what you want.

Most people don't know that Robert Harbin created the Assistant's Revenge as a JOKE on Will Alying.

Will was so short he could never do the trick as all his assistants were much taller than he.....
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Mark how old is the book about ?
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Ummmmm......

Well I remember 30 years ago like it was yesterday...

...and yesterday like it was 30 years ago.

Does that help?

I guess about 20 years.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll try to do a search for it thanks all. has anyone heard of the siberian rope tie.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Yes, I had a version in my lecture for years...
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Smile care to tip your version. theres books that Talk about Houdini Doing this. but no one Knows How.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I believe the Siberian Transport Tie (if that's what you mean by the Siberian tie) was described in Encyclopedia of Escapes by McLaury as the 'wrist and neck tie.'

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Steve I'll look into it I have a old version that is autographed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escapes from Rope. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL