The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dixie Dooley's Seance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Has anyone seen this yet? I know it is fairly new, but was curious if it is worth buying or not. I saw a rather large preview (not penguins) on it and from what I saw it looks good. If anyone is into Bizarre Magick out there and has seen this dvd, please let me know what you think. Thanks a million.

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I'd like to heart a review also.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Its the Blair Witch Project
of magic videos.
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I happened to get this DVD as part of a DVD lot I traded for. Luckily I didn't pay anything for it! Here's my review (this dvd was so poorly produced, I felt I should share this so people know not to buy it!)

Content: While I did like the number of effects on the DVD, the quality was severely lacking. Like most of Penguin Magic's DVDs, they forgot to develop the DVD and discuss more than just the bare bones of the effects. Little history, little credit, no routine development, no outs, no FAQ, no additional ideas, discussion on theory of subject, etc.. It's very obvious that Dixie is making this up as he goes. His thoughts go everywhere! It's not professional at all!

Production Values: Penguin does a decent job of filming things with a good camera, but unlike their demo videos, they do little to keep the viewer interested. The DVD production values are terrible, with inconsistent menu transitions, intros, and general DVD navigation. Terrible editing! Sometimes Dixie is looking somewhere else while the camera is looking at him. The producers don't know how to film multi-camera productions! The graphics are nice though, I wish they would have been a little more consistentcy. Sound quality was lacking, but not so bad that it was unbearable. A better lav mic and standard noise-reduction filter in post-production would have helped a lot!

The Effects: I was actually impressed that Penguin and Dooley put this many effects on one DVD. I was very, dissapointed with the quality though. I was very dissapointed with one of the main effects used to sell the DVD, the floating table for under $100. It was terrible! The table wobbled and looked like it was about to fall apart as it floated! They're very proud that you could build it for under $100. I wouldn't spend $10 on it, unless I used cereal boxes and got to eat the cereal afterwards! The dvd does a good job of exposing these methods, but does little to discuss anything beyond the bare bone methods.

TWO WORD SUMMARY: Dissapointing...Lacking

SUMMARY: TERRIBLE! Don't Spend your money on this one! Unfortunately it is packaged and marketed like a professional DVD, but once you stick it in and get past the main menu, it's terrible! I would be embarrased knowing this came from a "Las Vegas Headliner." Much, much more R&D should have gone into the making of this DVD. It was a wonderful idea, and the seance world desperately needs modern video material, but not of this low quality! If you're looking to find out how the tricks are done, and how to make cheap versions, this DVD is for you. If you're looking how to construct and present the tricks that might be used in a proffessional seance (or one you'd be proud of) look somewhere else.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I just bought this dvd and I sorely wish I had read this review first. I have to concur that this dvd is very disappointing.

Also, if you are already so interested in doing such mediumistic effects as to consider buying a dvd on the subject, there is a pretty good chance you already know most of these effects at least as well as they are presented here.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Thanks dearwiseone for posting a review. I had the dvd some time ago, and wasn't impressed. Maybe for a complete beginner it can be interesting to get some ideas, but I think there are better sources to start. I didn't take any material out of that dvd.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2007-04-11 03:57, gaafman wrote:
Thanks dearwiseone for posting a review. I had the dvd some time ago, and wasn't impressed. Maybe for a complete beginner it can be interesting to get some ideas, but I think there are better sources to start. I didn't take any material out of that dvd.

I feel the same way. I have had the DVD for over a year. I did not get much out of it but for someone with no clue about this branch of magic this could fill their needs.

I like Dixie's Escape set, but this just wasn't for me.
Tigerrune
View Profile
New user
Waterloo, Ontario
35 Posts

Profile of Tigerrune
Any suggestions for where to learn some of the basics of seances or mediumship effects outside of this dvd?

If it is now good for people who already know about the world of seances, what is? I'm considering Eugene Burgers's Spirit Theatre...
-R-
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Here comes the most dreaded of answers.....Tarbell.

Spirit Theatre by Burger is very good and has some good material and he does tell you how he set up his spirit theatre. The key to a good seance is less on what you do and more on what goes on in the mind of the spec. Darkness is a big part of it. I loooove spook shows I must say.
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
Quote:
On 2004-11-04 20:41, Magickman wrote:
Its the Blair Witch Project
of magic videos.

The blair witch project on tranqulizer maybe. Smile
The trailer is good, but the content on this dvd is the oldest and most boring stuff I´ve ever seen. You will find better "seance" effects in magic books for children.
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Gabriel Knight
Most of david's earlier stuff, was never bad. I just really never liked the way he spoke english, it was really annoying. I learn a lot of french magic, because the french take ther magic very serous. And there are so many amazing effects. When his Real work DVD 1 came out, my entire opinion of the guy changed. It was one of the best dvds I have seen in a long while. This second one, has a little more advice than really anything much newer. I have a feeling the first one was many years compressed into a few hours, and the second one kinda was what was left.

I don't think many newbies really know how much of your life can be used up perfecting routines. Someone with exeriance can save you months of doing bad moves. Dvds like these are more valuable than they appear. They arn't just about the tricks. Handling takes time to work out the bugs and subtles. This is why you need to really get out and meet performers and other people who do magic and not sit at home watching DVDs. Newbies and experiance people all have great things to offer. David is outstanding. He has put a lot of thought into these products. They will become classics for sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dixie Dooley's Seance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL