The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » One handed match lighting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Hey, would anybody out there be so kind as to share a method/methods for the lighting of a match with one hand?

Thanks a lot.

tom
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
See Charlie Frye's Eccentricks. He throws the box up and it catches on the match, lighting it (with one hand)
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
Strike on anywhere matches, or a match pull.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Rent "Cocktail " with Tom Cruise. He does it in the movie, and you may be able to see the actions required.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Read the answer that Sanscan gave in reply to your post in the Up in Smoke Forum. That may be what you're looking for.

Jennieprice
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Tom, I don't know if it's written up anywhere but you can light a match from a book of matches with one hand. I saw it in a movie many years ago.

Briefly, holding the book of matches in your hand between second finger and thumb, open the cover with your index finger and bend down one match. Shift your thumb and hold the match down (with the thumb) while your index finger closes the cover on the matchbook. With your thumb, fold the match around the bottom of the matchbook as your second finger moves out of the way allowing the matchbook to pivot downward and 180 degrees.

You should now be holding the matchbook upside down (with the back facing you) with the match folded around the bottom of the book (which is at the top). The head of the match should reach the striking surface. Here's where it gets tricky. Use your thumb, which is holding the match head against the striking surface, to push to the right and ignite the match. The tricky part is removing your thumb from the igniting match before you burn your thumb. It's not too difficult but does take a knack.

It is a "cool" move and used to use it a lot when I was bartending. I always did it while my left hand was holding something so it was motivated by need as opposed to "look at what I can do".
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Ask an older man. My grandfather taught me. You use strike-anywhere matches and flick the head with your thumbnail.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
At Blackpool this year, I saw Vladimir do an astounding one-hand production/light using a box of matches. He revealed in his lecture that the misdirection was so strong he was openly switching the props in his other hands, because everyone was so focused on his occupied hand!

I'm not sure how he did it. I can't even begin to imagine, but if anyone else was present at this year's Blackpool masterclass, maybe they could share details?
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I learned the method Mitch Schneiter posted above in high school. It's what the "cool kids" did to light their cigarettes sometimes. Lucky for me it was easy to give up smoking.

But I later found out the method above was something truck drivers use to do while driving.

You can also find it in Jeff McBride's lecture notes "Un-Masked".

Best,

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
I must have missed that bit. Vladimir is so cool. He performed some close-up and he also did his stage act at the recent IBM convention in Eastbourne.
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I think McBride also has it on his The Magic Of Jeff McBride DVD. I can't get to them right now, so I can't check to be sure. But I know I learned it from watching McBride.

Thank you.

Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
It is on the Magic of Jeff McBride. I learned it from the 2 VHS set. Not very difficult at all.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Jeff McBride teaches a one-handed match BOOK lighting. What are you looking for---a match book or a match box lighting?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
I use a Match Pull. As the match is also hidden prior to being lit, it has the advantage of being "an appearing lit match".
David Deanie
View Profile
New user
Scotland
63 Posts

Profile of David Deanie
If I am reading your post correctly it looks like the match is just touched to the box. I saw that used very well a while ago.

If anyone is looking for gimmicked versions then El Duco has a lit match in hand effect---problem is it only ever lights in rehearsal! It does look wonderful---just takes a bit of tweaking to get it right!
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Quote:
On 2004-11-02 19:01, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
See Charlie Frye's Eccentricks. He throws the box up and it catches on the match, lighting it (with one hand)

The same effect is explained in Greater Magic. Is his any different?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » One handed match lighting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL