The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » What is your favorite Doc Haley effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
What is your favorite effect?
What has had the most audience response?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Wow, what a cool question to pose. I wish I could offer an opinion but I have only ordered gospel 3 card monte and some gospel dollar bills that I use to do a bill switch with (I've got so many of them that I hand them out at my kids shows, that's gone over way big though). Smile
But, I am equally bummed that no one has offered feedback to your post Smile
Well, maybe a few will trickle in, I am very interested in hearing, from experience, about some of their items.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
The Original King of Hearts.

This is simple, clean and always gets a great reaction from the audience.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I have used "He is Risen" several times in lieu of my Empty Tomb routine using a Square Circle. He is Risen gets the message across and packs a lot easier than Square Circle. If I do use the SC, the last thing I pull from the Empty Tomb is Dock Haleys Torn and Restored Heart.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have the large size He is risen. I thought about a different type of fastener, and maybe putting a slot in it where the fastener goes, so the red cross can be shown better. I own the coloring book and the one that has three symbols on three cards (crown, bird, sun) but never thought that one was really an effect that would draw much interest. I have some torn and restored hearts as well. Very nice.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
KingStardog: Your modification to He is Risen sounds interesting. If you do it, let me know how it works out. I lived in Mountain View for 4 months while flying out of Moffett NAS. Stayed in the Oakwoods Apts and loved the area. Don't keep the faith.... spread it around! Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
Greetings:

I've been away from the board for awhile, but felt I had to respond to THIS question.

As a 25 year user of Dock Haley effects and owner of the company for the last 4 years, I have to start with a bit of a plug.

We just completed our new "secure" shopping cart, online catalog, with color photos of all 200 plus effects. Please check out the site and let me know your thoughts.
http://www.gospelmagic.com

As for my favorite effect(s) I have a few.

"One Way" I've used this as an opening for years. For those who have not seen or used it, it's a variation of the hiway arrow trick, with three fold out features. Each leading to the conclusion that Jesus is the "One Way" to eternal life.

"Square to Cross" is a relatively new effect that tells the story of the paralyzed man and his four friends who lowered him through a hole in the roof to have him healed by Jesus. This effect was given to us by Ali Bongo from England. It's been very well received.

"Key to the Kingdom: The Stage size version is great for large audiences. You bring 11 children up on stage to help with the effect. It makes your act look big and the children love to help. Thanks to a great routine used with Duane Laflin's permission, the "force" is as easy as it gets. Bottom line, of all the ways people think they are going to get to heaven, A relationship with Jesus is the "Key to the Kingdom."

Those are only three of many favorites that I use regularly in my programs.

In HIS service,
Steve Varro
International FCM President and owner of Dock Haley Gospel Magic.
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Hi Steve,
I wasn't just plugging your company on this one. I really am interested in what other performers have to say on this. I also have to say, I am very pleased that you responded with your personal favorites. I enjoy hearing what veteran performers have to say. I think that it is very encouraging to have someone such as yourself involved in the Café.

Quick question: Some sites/stores put together sets or packages at reduced rates.
(like the street magic pouches that contain several effects that are "easy to learn"

Do you plan on putting together any sets like these? Maybe three or four different ones would be good, so the non-magical lay persons could work on and present a couple different performances per year. You might have to beef them up with patter books and helpful hints. Just a thought.

Mike
hawkbird
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of hawkbird
I like the missing piece. And the 3way coloring book, oh yeah and the Christ Svengali deck...

Can't touch this Smile
Georgia Boy
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Georgia Boy
I have to agree with, "He Is Risen", what a powerful effect! & "The Miracle Screen", another awesome item!
WmsonProd3104
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of WmsonProd3104
I see that this topic hasn't been replied to in a while. There are several wonderful effects out there...my wife & I do a full evening program complete with illusions, puppets, juggling, comedy, etc. Of all the effects that are in our main show - I have to default to the basic cut & restored rope. It clearly illustrates our relationship with God, being broken by our sin and restored by the work of Christ on the cross. Very visual.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2002-08-30 13:36, tglund wrote:
The Original King of Hearts.

This is simple, clean and always gets a great reaction from the audience.

I just wish they came bicycle backed so I could have a seperate set that I can switch in my pocket for examination...
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Well, I'll put in my two cents worth. I bought years ago a mess of John de Vries' Ten Commandments paper tears. Might have to place another order soon with Steve! I really like the Ray Comfort (www.livingwaters.com) approach to evangelism, which uses the Ten Commandments. This trick can be easily patter modified to this approach (John's patter is more about honoring your mother and father) to fit what I have to say. I combine this with a Mikame Mirror (knitting needle through mirror) as how the Law is like a mirror to us, it does not clean us, but shows us our sin... And the mirror just can't be thrown away or broken!
Roger from http://www.ChristianMagician.org
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Funny this topic has been reopened...I have been contemplating the stage version of "Key To The Kingdom" for quite a while. I am posting in the tricks for sale section, but probably have more luck here if anyone is willing to part with their stage version. PM if interested!
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
It is a good effect to really pack a message into, each card gives you lots you could elaborate on, or just touch on, so I like the versatility of the effect, and it uses a ton of volunteers which is great also
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 17:12, randyburtis wrote:
It is a good effect to really pack a message into, each card gives you lots you could elaborate on, or just touch on, so I like the versatility of the effect, and it uses a ton of volunteers which is great also

Yes, Duane Laflin performed it at ADVANCE this year, and you are absolutely correct, you can make it as long or short as you wish based on the commentary on each of the keys. And yes, it does look BIG with all the volunteers. Looks like a good closer...not particulary flashy, but good to put a final point on a gospel routine.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 16:38, stempleton wrote:
Funny this topic has been reopened...I have been contemplating the stage version of "Key To The Kingdom" for quite a while. I am posting in the tricks for sale section, but probably have more luck here if anyone is willing to part with their stage version. PM if interested!

This is a great Gospel trick, and lots of fun to perform. It was one of the first Gospel tricks that I purchased, and the third Gospel magic routine I ever performed. It gets the kids involved and carries a decent Gospel message with it as well. Unfortuneately I can't sell mine yet because I still use it.

I used to open with it, but found it suited better at the end. Not being the last trick, but second from last. I usually end with a D'lite routine to music.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
My favorite effect from the Doc Haley Gospel Magic Company is "Who's In Control"...which I just checked is currently out of stock. You can also learn about this effect in From Tricks to Truth by Douglas L. Wathen published by One Way Street I think, but available through Varro...and may be in your personal library as there are not a whole lot of Gospel Magic books out there as nicely published.

However, we don't do the effect. Why it is my favorite is it was the inspiration for a couple of effects we do...one with the force methodology and one with the turning of the board methodology (if you are familiar with the effect that might make sense). We talk about this on the podcast this month if any are interested.

><> J
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
brainbolt66
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of brainbolt66
I believe one of my favorites is Crown of Glory. I am not for sure if this is a Doc Haley item or not. It has a good message, and one of the kids gets to keep the crown. Great Question
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Is the Gospel Cards his Idea?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » What is your favorite Doc Haley effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL