The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Joe Monte's One hand vanish??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I was just re reading Eric DeCamps wonderful book "Compositions of Conjuring".

There's a routine in there "Slip-Away Coins" Three coins vanished then they reappear.

One of the vanishes is a one handed vanish that is credited to Joe Monte, which look A LOT like Geoff Latta's One hand vanish, the only difference is the coin is held by the edge of the coin at the fingertips, instead of spellbound position as in Geoff's.

My question is does anyone know if Joe's is a version of Latta's O.H.V. or the other way around or just two minds thinking a like?

Thanks
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Any chance you're referring to LA-based magician Joe Monte? If so, he was a good friend of mine a few years back. I didn't know he published. I'd be very interested in any info about his published works.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Cloneman
I'm not sure Eric's book just says it's Joe's vanish, doesn't say where you can find it at or any other info. on him.

Would you have any of his contact info?

Thanks
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I knew Joe Safuto (Monte) back in the 1970s.

We were playing with variations of Geoff's move back then. Joe was good about not tipping underground stuff.

He lives in Brooklyn as I recall. He was a Saturday morning regular at Tannen's. There are a couple of his works in Apocalypse. He was a Dingle fan when I knew him, and he had both the hands and the chops to do impressive card and coin work.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks for the info Jon. I'll check Apocalypse for his work.

Best
Joe
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Is Joe's OHV similar to that of Carney?
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Both Geoff's and Joe's vanishies are independant thinking. Cloneman, Most of Joe's published work came under his real name...Joe Safuto.

Mike
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Joe, I'm unfamiliar with the book of Eric. Can you give a brief review? (If not appropriate here please PM me!).

Dan
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On 2004-11-06 04:41, Dan LeFay wrote:
Joe, I'm unfamiliar with the book of Eric. Can you give a brief review? (If not appropriate here please PM me!).

Dan

Dan, Sure, This is a great book! Routines are
"The Ends of my Rope",

"Slip away Coins" Three coins vanish then reapear. This is the routine where I found Joe's vanish.
Mike this vanish looks just like Geoff's the only thing that is different is in this one you're holding the coin by the edge between the first finger and thumb instead of spellbound position.

"Four Coins in the counting" four coin production.

"Okito's Box"

"Three Shells & a Pea"

"Two Cups are better than One"

"Stogies" A wooden cigar routine. If anyone is interested in "Micro Purses" for this type of routine contact me at mystre71@aol.com

"Cards of a feather" is Eric's take on the cards across plot.

You can find this book here
http://www.threeshellgame.com/shellshop/......amp;id=2

Hope this helps,

Joe
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Thank you very mucho! Somehow I missed this book completely...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Joe:
As far as I know the one hand vanish I use in “Slip Away Coins” is Joe (Monte) Safuto’s. The one handed vanish that I remember of Geoff Latta’s is his Nowhere Palm. This by the way is a brilliant vanish itself but does have some angel issues while Joe’s vanish has less of an angle issue.

Thomas:
Yes this is the same Joe Monte you know and we all love. Joe is originally from Brooklyn, NY and moved to California over a decade ago. California’s gain was NYC’s loss. Joe is a very naturally gifted comic, wonderful sleight of hand artist, the best practical joker next to Bugs Bunny and a good friend.

Hope this helps.

Eric DeCamps

PS: Joe, through the years “Slip Away Coins” has served me well by amazing both laymen and magicians alike. Let me know how the routine fairs for you in your work.
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
You can go to his website joemonti.com. He is a super guy & an even super friend. We sat at Jack-in-the-Box on sunset blvd one night killing a few hours before his gig. I learned so much just by watching him that night...& I'm pretty sure he stole my wallet.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Here's an interesting Joe Monte tidbit: he once played a Siamese-twin gladiator/magician in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi film. Joined at the lower intestine to his mutant-twin, he produced doves from the flesh tube that connected them. This tasteful bit of cinema was my NYU film school directorial senior thesis project and my entrée into the wacky world of Joe.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Wow, do you remember Joe's friend there visiting. He wound up holding the poloe with the bar that sort of rained blood...that was me! I also remember Joe having to take a leak but he couldn't do it being stuck to the other guy...LOL!

Mike
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Thanks for your help on the movie, Mike!

As a result of this thread, I got back in touch with Joe. I'll be seeing him when I go to LA on business in December. He's kindly offered to help me with some coin sleights, so maybe I can learn “Slip Away Coins” from the master, himself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Joe Monte's One hand vanish??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL