The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2004 entrée: Rafael Benatar » » About TradeShows » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
Hi Rafael.

I Would like to know how do you approach people in the booth at a Tradeshow?

Imagine you are just starting out that day, and you have a lot of distractions from other booths. How do you get attention?

Alejandro.
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Profile of Rafael Benatar
Every situation is different so I don't have just one way. But one thing is to do something visual that catches people attention without them having to think. Two in the Hand One in the Pocket is an example. You can begin to do it by yourself and ask soemone passing, how many in the hand? Also, something that makes noise like coins to glass. If the atmosphere is cold as usual on the first day of a show, you can "bribe" someone with a giveaway from the booth and show them a quick trick, and start a crowd from there.
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
Hello Rafael,
I hope you can remind you on me (Frank & Annett), we meet us in Dresden and at Cebit together with Mark Phillips?
I would like to know if you have a fixed programm or a special routine for trade shows?
How do you involve the corporate messages or products in your shows?

Frank
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Fraaaank! What a surprise! Mind you, I'm not a trade-show expert. I have done a few, but each of them, of course, gives you lots of experience. Not a fixed programme, but I have certain things for starting (as mentioned above). The middle section is flexible and I improvise a bit. Stuff with images that call attention is good. Rope routines where a rope hangs between you and a spectator at some point can do wonders. The cups and balls is always there and I have learned to customize it almost impromptu. I have used it to "explain" how e-mail was invented in the Middle Ages, how electronic components are distributed, or how a chain of drugstores operates. No matter what you decide to prepare, a trick you've done thousands of times works better than any other. The key is to find ways to customize it. And with a bit of imagination you can customize almost anything into anything.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Don't be modest Rafael. I've seen you in action on the trade show floor and you're awesome! Great advice here. Anything that you can to to make a routine play bigger and involve one or more members of the audience is great for a trade show. Best regards, Seth
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Seth! Now, this is a great party. You're my favorite. That trade show in Vegas in 1997, with so many magicians working (you, Lisa, Tim, Harrison, Charles Greene, Giovanni, and quite a few more), was my first ever. The first day was scary. I used my breaks between shows to go around and learn from you guys, and the second day was when I took off.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Networld Interop 1997. It was a crazy show! 27 magicians were counted and an article was written by Danny Orleans for Genii Magazine. It was at the height of the internet boom 100,000+ attendees and over 1000 exhibitors; Those were the days...
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Rafael and Seth,

I was on that date, too!!! Haven't seen that many magicians except at conventions.

Regards,

Paul Green
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Yes, just mentioned it in the other thread. That's where we first met and, let me see.... you were wearing a white jacket? I loved your set up with chairs for the spectators inside the booth. How many chairs? Thirty maybe? Could you tell us how this affects the performance? Do you gather the crowd before the show starts?
caspion
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of caspion
Hi
I want to move into trade shows magic
What kind of magic works best?
Who are the best trade shows magicians you saw?
Caspi
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Hi Caspion. For the type of magic, Look at posts 2 and 4 (mine) and 5 (corpmagi).

You'll see some of the best if you scroll up this thread: Seth Kramer and Paul Green. Also Lisa Menna, Paul Gertner, Eddie Tullock, Joel Bauer, Harrison Carrol, Tim Connover, Bill Goldman, Charles Green, Giovanni, Mark Mitton, Danny Orleans, Bob Kohler, Mark Phillips, and probably many others I haven't seen perform at trade shows.
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
Rafael,
any chances to see you at a tradeshow in Germany, in the near future? Cebit is not so far away. It would be a great pleasure to see you again.
Frank
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Nothing in sight in Germany, but I'd let you know.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I worked the 1997 InterOp show as well - hidden away in a corner, but I worked it! Missed most of you guys there - blast it!

Comes from doing the "always behind the counter at the booth working" style I guess! I had NO idea that I was working in such fast company!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Well, sorry I missed you. The show was so big that the companies didn't find out either, which is a good thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2004 entrée: Rafael Benatar » » About TradeShows » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL