The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Getting the knot out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sanju
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of sanju
I hope this hasnt been discussed before but I have a routine where a ring comes off a knot and vanishes from the fist. However the knot still stays. It doesn't particularly take away from the effect but it sure isn't neccesary. I tie a regular knot and show the spectators that. Are there anyways to undo a knot, secretly?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Can you tie a false knot? Have your read the two volumes (or is it three) of Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sanju
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of sanju
Well yeah. I can but it wouldn't work in the context of the trick. I have it as my finale of my routine when I show that the ring is inside the knot. I can get the ring out but think that if the knot disappeared too it'd be a nice addition.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
The fact that the knot stays may make it more magical to the audience. If the knot vanishes then people will probably wonder about false knots. I guess the thing to think about is how the audience reacts to your routine with the knot present.

I do the Cords of Phantasia with three members of the audience and at the end the ropes "goes through" the inside of the box and through the person holding the box. It always bothered me that the standard way of doing it is that you tied a knot with both ropes and after the penetration there is no knot. I think it is more magical to the audience that my routine ends with a knot on the rope because both ends were held by two other members of the audience and they pulled the rope to facilitate the penetration. Just some thoughts.

There is a way to make the knot vanish but I can't think of the reference right now. If it comes to mind I will PM you.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jimmy,

The best news is that you can do it either way! If you play the same audience frequently, it will keep them guessing. (Don't forget to keep an extra knot in your pocket to show when the knot vanishes too! I keep one in a sealed plastic bag and it really makes them wonder.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quite true, Bob! That's a good suggestion about the knot in the pocket. It adds a little humor, mystique, etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jimmy,

I think I stole this from Dave Emerson in Arkansas. (Thieves have poor memories.)

He cores about 8" of rope and puts a piece of welding rod in it shaped like a square (2" x 2"). It's his square knot!

(Perhaps we are on the same medication! Things here at the nursing home are pretty standard.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Getting the knot out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL