The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Lesson Two (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
As was often the case, when I got to Karrell’s house he was in the kitchen, “playing” with his magic. This day he was working on a “2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket” effect with miniature pool balls, and a miniature pool cue as the magic wand.

What was interesting is that over the years he created hundreds of such routines that he never did, and never put in print. He created them for creations sake, and it was why he was “Clever like a Fox”.

We were interrupted by a visit from his next-door neighbor. The man was clearly upset, and Karrell seemed to know the reason. I listened.

The man’s daughter was getting married that day. Clearly he was not going to the “wedding”. He obviously had issues with the new “faith” of his daughter, and it was one his family did not share. He was very bitter against this faith, and spoke openly about it.

His comments were very difficult to listen to without interruption. You see, I am of the faith he was speaking so vehemently against.

Karrell let him talk, with the occasional insertion of how difficult it is to raise children. Finally I had to speak.

“May I ask you a question sir? Have you decided that this pain you feel today, is going to be something you intend to live with for the rest of your life? Do you intend to hold this anger to your breast rather than your grandchildren?”

Of course he didn’t see it that way, and he had to sputter a bit before I spoke again.

“Sir, I’m sorry, but I don’t get this. I see you are hurt and offended. But today is not about you and your feelings. It is about the relationship you are going to have with your daughter and her children for the rest of your life.”

Again, this was medicine he didn’t want to take. But now he was listening, so I added;

“You seem to be very sure that your faith is true, and your daughters new one is false. If you are that sure, then I ask you, if Jesus Christ were standing here right now; do you think he would tell you to stay here in anger; or go to your daughter’s wedding with love? IF your faith is true sir, I would remind you that St. James said faith without works is death.”

He was tearing up, and clearly was very conflicted. I went to him, put my arm around him and said

“Jesus IS here today, he wants you to go and love your daughter like he loves you both.”

He left, and thankfully did go to the wedding. When he left Karrell just looked at me and was shaking his head.

“Tripper that man spent almost 30 minutes pooping (real word he used changed) on your religion. You never got angry, you never even told him what he had done. He is never going to know what he did to you, even after what you did for him. I am really proud of you.”

Of course, praise from Karrell felt good. However, MY lesson that day was we really never know who is hearing the words we say. The poop we are covering the ground with, might be going on something another person values. The joke on a person’s race, religion, creed, culture, or life style, may not be as innocuous to all the ears that hear it.

Those ears, might be attached to a head that has the power to change your life for the better, it is wise not to offend them.

PS: I reserve the rights to ALL of my materials that I create. Sharing them here does NOT give anyone else any rights to my words and or creations.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Thank you Mark.

However, I have a question.

Why have you listed a "disclaimer" at the end of this tale?

I mean, obviously you are imparting some of your own life experiences to assist others, and, if they are indeed true life lessons and experiences, why state they are written works you "create"?

Certainly you have written them here but it is certainly not like the things you are imparting have never happened to anyone else in their own lifetime.

In fact, many of them have just in slightly different ways involving different people, places, etc.

Unlike a specific magical effect they are thus not unique to you aside from the names included and the specific places they are claimed to have taken place at.

Why put a disclaimer to something that is intended to be shared and is not a personal method or routine you yourself created?

This seems rather arrogant to me.

Steve Santini
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
Amazing how someone can share such a beautiful story and respectfully ask people not to copy it, and then be called arrogant. The man has every right to make such a request and I am grateful that he is sharing the stories.
The arrogance is in your perception.
Harold White
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks for part 2 Mark. I lookforward to part 3.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Mark I agree as I accept people for who they are. and not by religion. I'll let Mark disclose why he put the disclaimer in. I have a feeling that someone might copy it and use it in a book etc.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
I only found it slightly arrogant because MANY other people here on The Café have shared for a very long time and this is the very first time I have ever seen such a disclaimer. No one else seems to feel the need to post such a thing so why here and now?

What is the point?

I really do not think any one person's post should be more guarded or more protected than any others and really fail to see the need for any of this.

Yes, the story was nice and yes, this is my perception of the very last part of the post.

Just my opinion.

Steve Santini
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I didn't see any arrogant in it but I guess others have. I just looked at it as. what the person wanted to do and has their own reasons for it. just my opinion.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
<<<Why have you listed a "disclaimer" at the end of this tale>>>

Because people here claim once I post something it belongs to the Café. I reject that, and will afirm it from time to time.

<<<I mean, obviously you are imparting some of your own life experiences to assist others, and, if they are indeed true life lessons and experiences, why state they are written works you "create"? >>>

It means if I wish to publish this elsewhere, it belongs to me not the Café

<<<Certainly you have written them here but it is certainly not like the things you are imparting have never happened to anyone else in their own lifetime.>>>

Perhaps, but they are still my writings and my way of putting them down. However, I am getting a vibe from you that is interesing.

<<<In fact, many of them have just in slightly different ways involving different people, places, etc.>>>

I have never claimed to be the greatest, the best, or the only, I leave that to others. I do claim that my writings are mine, and I own them. Again, you are projecting something in you onto me.

<<<Unlike a specific magical effect they are thus not unique to you aside from the names included and the specific places they are claimed to have taken place at.>>>

Really? Tell me how many times you were at Karrell Fox's Kitchen table? If the answer is ZERO, as I suspect it is, then it is VERY unique. We both eat dinner every day. I ate mine once on the Orient Express. I suspect you never did. So, again, what I share is unique to me.

<<<Why put a disclaimer to something that is intended to be shared and is not a personal method or routine you yourself created?>>>

Well, as I have said, those words did not write themselves. I wrote them, and I own them. I will proclaim that from time to time to prevent others from claiming them or publishing them without permission.

<<<This seems rather arrogant to me.>>>

Steve, the kindest way I can answer that, is to say it is the largest projection of your post.

Mark Tripp

<<<I only found it slightly arrogant because MANY other people here on The Café have shared for a very long time and this is the very first time I have ever seen such a disclaimer. No one else seems to feel the need to post such a thing so why here and now?>>>

Well, your personal problems aside, as I said, I own it. I plan on publishing it. The powers here at the Café have told me once I post something here they own it. Of course they saying it doesn't make it so. However, I will proclaim my rights from time to time so there is a record that I reject their claim

<<<What is the point?>>>

You tell me. Clearly there was a kinder way to ask your question. Why so aggressive? What nerve was touched?

<<<I really do not think any one person's post should be more guarded or more protected than any others and really fail to see the need for any of this.>>>

Steve, are you saying that what YOU see is the only way to look at this? I would have to reject that too.

<<<Yes, the story was nice and yes, this is my perception of the very last part of the post. >>>

Indeed, but perception is NOT reality. Which is why there are so many "World Greatest Everythings" about who upon closer look, haven't done all that much.

<<<Just my opinion.>>>

Understood. However, opinions are like noses. Everybody has one but some smell more than others.

Now, perhaps in the future you might want to take a kinder tone when you have a question, and I will not see the need to point out where the agression is coming from?

OK?

Mark Tripp

Quote:
On 2004-11-13 20:04, The Donster wrote:
I didn't see any arrogant in it but I guess others have. I just looked at it as. what the person wanted to do and has their own reasons for it. just my opinion.

"Others" is plural.

There is only ONE person who found it so.
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
I had to go back and read the original story again. Once again a good post has been turned into something it wasn't intended to be.
Mark, your story was really touching. Why someone has to search to find something negative in such a moving story will forever boggle my mind. Having a question is one thing, but the tone was, as you said, aggressive. Please keep writing and don't let others sidetrack you.
Harold White
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Mark, thank you for the insight and wisdom, I whole heartedly agree with your above posts.

Ian McColl
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Quote:
On 2004-11-13 21:47, GreatWizardoftheEast wrote:
Mark, your story was really touching. Why someone has to search to find something negative in such a moving story will forever boggle my mind.

It is quite simple really. I haven't commented on it because it will be painful to those who find themselves there.

Some folks around here set themselves up as the wise and knowing masters of escape. They enjoy the attention and the praise that brings.

Then when someone like a Steve Baker shows up, they lose the position quickly. We then get a series of silly posts about how someone is 10 times better than Baker, or greater than Houdini in a vain attempt to hold on to the position.

They know in their own heart and mind they are not the person they claim to be, and ANY attempt from others to impart wisdom is met with negitive junk that is flowing from their own twisted self-image.

It is why Nelson said "A persons growth as a magician depends on their ability to overcome the reasons they became one in the first place."

If that shy and awkward kid never grows up, his ability to be "smarter then the room" sinks around fellow magi. If this wasn't true, why is 90% of magic about fooling other magicians?

It is a very sad thing, and people need to look deeply inward to see that a real healing is needed of that inner child.

Mark Tripp
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Now Mark,

To support your above post, perhaps you will be good enough to tell us which escape artist(s), (by name), has ever come on here and claimed ,(in their own words), to be 10 times better than anyone (your words) or in fact better than Houdini (also your words).

I cannot remember a single one.

I also cannot remember anyone coming on here and stating in any direct way that they see themselves as the "wise and knowing master of escape" (your words).

You obviously seem to hold some preconcieved negative perceptions which you have now voiced here.

I for one would not like to "go to war" as you suggested in one of the other threads but I would like to see you cite exact examples for the things I have mentioned above.

If no one actually said or claimed these things about themselves here then it obviously all boils down to how you personally view the person or persons in question.

Just an observation...

Steve Santini
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
Good obervation steve and a correct one at that!

Don
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Evreyone is entitled to their opinion my thoughts are I'll stay on the sidelines and watch the fireworks.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
First, do your own homework. The posts were made, they are there to be found.

Second, indeed opinions are like noses. Everybody has one but some smell more than others.

I notice Steve we are still waiting for a helpful post, rather than the continued challenge to make it all about you.

You continue to prove my point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Lesson Two (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL