The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why does Cups & Balls endure so well? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, his final loads were much better before his stroke. However, since the stroke, his left hand action has become cramped, and he really has big problems with them. All the existing videos are post stroke material.

I know exactly whom you are referring to. He doesn't get to these pages often.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Sorry, I had no idea re he had a stroke..
Sorry to hear about this... Smile
My apologies !!!!
As I said, he's a great entertainer -one of the very best I have ever seen- wheather he does good loads or not...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yep. And he tends to be a little "gun shy" when he does his loads, so you will see him bringing the cups all the way off the table, down into the pouch, and all sorts of other stuff like that.

The Al Schneider DVD's arrived in today's mail. I must agree with Bob (Wellington) that the work on the cups and balls is excellent. I enjoy having different routines to look at and draw from.

I don't plan to review the DVD's any time soon, because I purchased them primarily for the cups and balls work, as well as the Zombie routine.

I will add this. I remember seeing Al do the Zombie in his booth at one of the conventions we had here in Houston. It was truly amazing. It's still one of the best. Al's understanding of the Zombie is very special.

Al's theory in the cups and balls routine is quite solid. The techniques taught are well worth learning.

The "bling bling" final load is, as I suspected, completely different from the Alex Elmsley load. It is closer to some of Martin Lewis' work than Alex Elmsley's.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gazzo told me after he recovered from his stroke, what he lost was mainly the stuff he did for other magicians, so now he doesn't worry about that material.

If you didn't know, you would not notice his MINOR problem with that hand... He's still about as good as there is with the cups.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When he did that special private performance for me at Scarborough Faire, he mentioned the stroke to me then. He was almost apologetic (if you can believe that about Gazzo!) It didn't seem to affect him enough to make a big difference at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you look at the most ancient of references, you may find the most subtle and "modern" of approaches. Likewise in the reported routining.

Knowlege of the roots of a thing often offers insight its current blossoms.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
C&B has many things going for it

1. Versatility in the manner of props you can use.

2. Variety in the manner of effects that can be produced.

But, the really big thing is:

3. The Climax. The big loads. The wow factor.

For those who have not been following the balls the final loads will carry them further, but for those who think they may have an inkling, they are a real sucker punch in disguise. In this way a good routine will carry a huge proportion of the audience into that rarely attained magical state where they believe for a moment anything is possible.

Beautiful though they are when performed well, I don't think many routines such as the linking rings or a production box, are capable of the same transformation of audience mood as the C&B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why does Cups & Balls endure so well? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL