The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Just starting out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ping Pong
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ping Pong
I have , in the past just chucked everything, all my props etc in a suitcase, however this is now become not a good idea as the list of props and magic increases. I live in China and the shipping to get a case over here will be ...alot. How do all you organize and manage a normal suitcase, or can this not be done or do I have to invest.
New Zealander based in Shanghai
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Why don't you get one of those cases they use to carry semi professional cameras in, their not that big, and they have foam in them precut into a heap of blocks so all you have to do is take out the blocks you don't want to create holes in the foam, thus creating little compartments for different gimmicks and props
Aaron Farrugia
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
When I was a bit younger, I used a professional camera bag made of heavy, reinforced rip-stop nylon. The internal divider walls were velcro-edged, so they could be adjusted inside the bag. The bag is waterproof, light weight and very durable. It has film pockets on each end that will hold a set of Morrissey cups or a chop cup, final loads, etc. The front has two smalled pouches that are perfect for card decks, and other somewhat flat props, like a Dizzy Domino or the like.

It has both a handle for carrying as well as an adjustable shoulder strap, with a shoulder pad to make it more comfortable to lug around.

They are a little on the expensive side - about $100US, but well worth the price as they last forever.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Ping Pong
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ping Pong
Thanks, I will have a look around Shanghai for these
New Zealander based in Shanghai
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
There are some laptop carrying cases that might work well. Some have lots of seperate compartments with little holders and pockets.

Regan
Mister Mystery
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Have a look in the Disco equipment shops - they have case with compartments for cables and mikes.

I use a small one for close-up.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Although camera bags are nice...I use one too...just be VERY cautious when leaving these exposed in your vehicle. They tend to draw a little bit more attention then say briefcases or an overnight bag. Thieves think,"Hey a nice camera" I think you know what I mean.
shale007
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
28 Posts

Profile of shale007
As stated above in regards to camera cases/bags being left in cars . . . this goes for the venue in which you are working as well. I fould leaving a camera bag in view catches more attention than a busking bag or brief case. . . go figure Smile

In regards to the suitcase you can use foam and or thin plywood 1/8" to partition or use a couple of small platic parts organizers to house the smaller items that may bounce around in the larger space.
Regards,

Shawn
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I still use suitcases to schlep stuff to shows. I just hang onto the boxes stuff came in and pack carefully so that everything fits together. For some of my props I don't bother with the box or if they are fragile I will wrap them in a towel. this works well for me and forces me to take some time and care when I pack up after a show. You are less inclined to forget a prop if it has to be in the case for everything to fit right and lock into place.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Hardware shops always have some great tool boxes that you can easily modify for your needs. Check them out.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
No wonder I'm a magician. I use the good tool boxes for camera equipment!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BrianCooper
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
55 Posts

Profile of BrianCooper
I have found that Artist paint organizer boxes work really well and also they don't have the fishing tackle box look to them.

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Just starting out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL