The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi all (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hi all,
Of all the magic forums I've come across on the 'net, this looks to be the coziest one yet.
Most of these introductory forums ask a new user to say a bit about themselves, so, here goes:
As for me, I'm a beginner. I'm more familiar with the history and techniques of magic, than I am adept at them, I'm afraid. I stand in awe of those who can perform double lifts and such with ease.
I hope to keep up the practicing and change that situation, if time allows and discipline prevails. Good magic is every bit as much good acting, too, I think, and I have a lot ground to cover there as well.
As to what kind of magician I'd like to be,
I think the future of magic is in the bizarre, or street styles. Personally, not to offend anyone, but I think the Las Vegas style of magic has all but killed the art, with the stereotypical grandstanding aloofness and aura of the artifical, but people are always fascinated to see something seemingly impossible happen right under their noses, in an intimate environment. No one trusts some ornate box or device on a stage 40 feet away, one which they have never seen the likes of before in their daily lives, and which has obviously been custom constructed for the act. They will suspect it's somehow rigged, and they're probably correct, and that just sucks the awe right out of it. IMO, it's time to say goodbye to the top hat, the cane, the cape, and the corn. Magic has always adapted throughout the ages, and when it nearly died just before the turn of the last century, it was revived by the very look we associate magicians with today: the top hat, cape, white gloves, etc. Today, however, that look is now old, misplaced, and no longer relevant. For magic to survive into the 21st century, it must again shed it's skin and evolve to meet the non-expectations of a new generation.
I think the success of David Blaine, his current popularity, is testament to this, regardless of how you feel about his originality or video editing (re: levitiation).
This is what I'll be stiving to do, the in-your-face, no way, and even gross illusions that magic has it's roots in.
If you want to be a rock star, be a rock star. If you want to be a magician, be accessible. Hey, I think that would make a good sig !
Sorry to sound preachy, but at least you'll know where I stand.
Nice to meet you all !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Angelica
View Profile
New user
South Africa
4 Posts

Profile of Angelica
Hi and welcome.

I feel exactly the same way. The top hat thing is so old. Wht do you think of the Criss Angel style of magic? Do you think this is the new art?

Angelica
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hi Angelica,

I must confess I know fairly little of Criss Angel.
From what I've read, though, yeah, I think this is the direction to go in. It seems more down to earth, more real, much like the way that glam rock and big hair in the eighties gave way to grunge and a more "joe average" look.
I just did a quick google to find out more. Rats, it looks like he's already doing something I was contemplating: combining music and magic. (I'm a guitar player, composer, and keyboardist).
Thanks for bringing him up, I'll look more into this, but yes, this is what magic needs in order to stay alive and interest the latest generation(s).

PS: I see they're not enforcing their avatar rules too strictly here, fortunately. The official avatar rules are downright orwellian. Did you look them over ? I was like, 'you have to be kidding me".
Still, if someone wants to see what I look like, this is the closest thing they'll get: it was halloween 2000, and I'm not wearing a mask, per se.
http://mysite.verizon.net/pmhiggin/paulvamp.html
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Cyberhagen,

Thanks for your interesting bio and I'm glad you decided to join us at the Café.

Please don't hesitate to post or ask a question of your own. The Café has a membership of over 15,000, from over 80 different countries around the world. Makes for lively and interesting discussions. I'll look forward to reading some of your post.

Have fun and welcome!
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Cyberhagen,
Welcome to the best place about magic ever. you have a nice introduction indeed.You will find this place as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has nearly 17.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes.
I'd like to take a second stab at my initial intro, because I think maybe I came off just a bit arrogant, which was not my intention nor accurately reflective of my true attitude.
I just to want to clarify my statements above - I don't mean to put anyone down if they follow the "old way", for many, it's a very successful venue and that's the culture they're a part of, and I doubt it's going away anytime soon.
It's just that I'd hate to see the art of magic become trivialized or worse, because it's stewards refused to evolve, to recognize the zeitgeist. Not saying every new fad must followed and that classic routines should be abandoned at the drop of a hat, but just that we as magicians must keep our eyes open and be willing to adapt to new times and challenges. The truth of it is, though, is that I will always admire, respect, and be awed by any good magician, as I can only appreciate the hard work, practice, and skill the art demands. Being a musician, I thought my dexterity would carry over easily into the realm of legerdemain, and I found myself quickly humbled.
And I think you're all right: from what I've seen already, this is a goldmine of information, integration, and inspiration.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi all (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL