The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and cord questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Question 1,
Do you prefer to use your own ring or the spectator's ring? The advantage of your own ring is it can be the perfect weight and shape for the moves you want to do plus no fear of expensive stones falling out. The advantage of the spectator's ring is that it seems more magical and has instant audience appeal.
Question 2,
Which do you feel is the better ending from the spectator's point of view,the ring penetrating off the cord whilst in the spectators hand or the ring vanishing and then appearing in an impossible location?
Many thanks in advance for any replies.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
1. Spectator's ring

2. Impossible location

After some of the other threads on this subject, I'd be inclined to get a Poloroid snapshot of the ring on the spectator's finger before starting the routine, so that there is no scope for the spectator to claim - falsely - that the cheap ring with rhinestones at the finish is not the expensive ring with diamonds that you were given at the start.
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I think it depends on your routine.

The ring and string is my strongest routine. My personal preference is to use my own ring, which I have built the routine around. I deliberately focus the attention on the (ungimiked) "magic ring". Works great.
plus, your not going to damage the specs ring.

I agree with S2000magician about impossible location.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I start out with my own ring and midway I suggest to do it with one of the spectators "if they like" (they normally do). Then I do a couple of Ring of string in spectators hands with their ring, finishing with Cliftons ring move, where they hold the strings and I hold their wrist. The ring goes of, vanishes from my hand, and appears on my little finger on the other hand holding their wrist (ending is from Gregory Wilsons "ring Leader", my beginning is Jay Scott Berry's "Ring Symphony")

Wonderfull routine, requires a lot of practice which is nice, because not a lot of magicians is doing it, so its a rare piece of magic.

I only do regular wedding bands when I borrow rings to avoid "funny accusations" of switching their ring and "stealing" their rock. And to avoid the rock getting stuck in my ribbon.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Like s2000 says in his post, I would get a Poloroid pic of it first. I ran into this problem a couple of years ago and it caused quite a stir. To make a long story short, I borrowed a lady's ring that broke. Stone fell out. I just happened to handle it in a way that caused the prong to "snap". Stone fell through a crack and was never found, at least by me anyway. I paid dearly for that mistake. Now I only use a Signet ring of my own. By the way, I almost quit magic over that trick. I guess you learn the hard way.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Bad experience, whoa - I'm happy that you continued with magic afterall. When I use my own ring, I just offer it for examination constantly if they like, that makes them suspicious of the ribbon, which I then hand out after the trick if somebody wants. I always have a roll of ribbon in my bag, so I can just cut a new one.

But just borrow regular wedding bands, they contains engraving and there are no rocks.
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
I thought I'd mention that Greg Wilson has an excellent video out on ring and string magic. I think its called ringleader. Lots of good moves and routines. Highly recommended.
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
There are several threads on source for ring and string routines. Greg Wilson's RingLeader is one of the best. Vinny (http://www.vinnymarini.com) has some good material
My routine started out as Dan Fleshmans "Sonata for Ring and String" and evolved from there (very different now though).
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the replies, so far I'm getting mixed replies as to whether or not to use the spectators ring, and so far the vote has been for the vanish of the ring.
Just to put things back on track, I'm not looking for places to find material as these questions have already been asked many times before.
Thanks again for all the replies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and cord questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL