The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Organic Restaurant Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Hi,

I've been working restaurants, hospitality suites and cocktail party gigs for a while now. All the time I've felt my magic was very much "journeyman" status. I felt like a was doing unrelated tricks and effects with no real theme or purpose. A couple of recent books I have read have clarified to me why this is (thank you Michael Close). The magic I perform has not grown out of the performing venue.

I am therefore looking for advice as to tricks which use objects that may be found in such environments e.g with saltcellars, napkins, cutlery, drinking glasses, sugar packets, wet-wipes etc, etc.

Any advice on specific tricks, or sources for tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone provide an insight into the type of magic featured in "The Magic Menu" books. Does it fit the bill? (It ought to!) The tricks in the "Magic on the menu" section of MAGIC magazine seem predominantly playing card tricks. Not what I'm looking for at the mo'!

Thanks,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I don't do any restaurant magic but when out with friends I will do a trick or two. My favorite when at a restaurant is stiring silver by Jay Sankey. It is on one of his best of videos. It uses a spoon and a ring, both of which can be borrowed.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I suspect you'll get a number of responses saying that it is out of order to pick up napkins and tableware that people will be using. I also suspect that all of those responses will be from our American friends who seem to be much more squeamish about this than we are. Dunno why this should be...

Anyway, that's all slightly OT. Off the top of me 'ead, there's
1. Metal bending (done as an aside in the above-mentioned Sankey trick)
2. Vanishing salt
3. Salt-cellar thru table
4. Vanishing wine-glass a la Ammar (I can't do it myself, but love the idea of it!)
5. Prediction/mentalism using the menu and a nailwriter?
6. Vanishing cig in napkin, though that really may be a bit much unless it's a table of smokers which is quite a rare find these days.
Plus any numnber of things with borrowed items...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
Jay Sankey has some great restaurant effects. Lee Asher's The Ripper is also great. He mentioned restaurant stuff when he explained it at a lecture I went to.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I have "Magic Menu-the first 5 years".
It has several effects using availabe objects along with some very good info on performing in restaurants.

Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" might appeal to you also.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Try the Encyclopedia of Imromptu Magic by Martin Gardner. It has a wealth of things you can do with stuff you find on the table.

Or the video from Stevens titled Jay Marshall's Table ****. It's a compilation of many of the tricks in that book and, as Jay says, "many of the reasons Jay Marshall doesn't get invited to dinner a second time."

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-12-08 07:25, ross welford wrote:
I suspect you'll get a number of responses saying that it is out of order to pick up napkins and tableware that people will be using. I also suspect that all of those responses will be from our American friends who seem to be much more squeamish about this than we are. Dunno why this should be...

Could be because of health laws.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
While it has been ages since I saw it (and I have virtually no recollection of the content), Steven's Magic in Wichita (KS) released a nice video on Restaurant Magic, featuring a number of performers including (I think) Mike Close, Dan Flesichman, and a couple other well-known magicians.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
The closest thing to an organic restaurant trick on that set is mike close's judah shoe lace trick. There is some good advice and it is neat to see some of the best restaurant magicians around perform some of their stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Organic Restaurant Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL