The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Help with Perfect Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm not very big into flourishes, but when I saw Jeff McBride do the perfect production on volume 1 of Art of Card Manipulation, I just had to learn it. The only problem is that when I go to push off the single card, the other cards fall out of the palm.

I've re-examined the video over and over again and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Well its hard to say without knowing a little more or seeing you do it. With any manipulation it takes practice. If you re-watched the tape a few times and you are doing it just like he is then its very hard to say. All manipulation takes a minute. Once you get it that first time you will be like, "OH" that's all I needed to do. Practice Practice Practice. Then if you still cant do it. I would just learn another production and use it.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
gogeta97
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of gogeta97
This would probably go over better at the Finger/Stage Manipulation section of the forum. Chris has the idea right with practicing, but try appling more pressure with your thumb when you push out the single card. Also, be sure to be using the tip of your index finger as a sort of force/lever thing. It (how much force your thumb needs) really depends how many cards you have in your hand and how new the cards are.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I agree with the adage of Practice, Practice, Practice, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right first. I recall Michael Ammar saying that "Practice does not make perfect - practice makes permanent". So, if I am continually practicing something wrong, all I am doing is creating muscle memory for the wrong move.

Gogeta97, thanks for the tips. I've been palming the cards fairly deep in my hand, with the fard edge of the cards at the first break of my fingers. I'll try to move it up a bit as suggested and apply a little more pressure to the tip of the thumb.

For now, I'm just using 2 cards. I figure that once I get that down, I'll increase the numbers gradually to about 4 or 5 cards. Thanks everyone!!
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
[quote]On 2004-12-14 09:53, magicman845 wrote:
I agree with the adage of Practice, Practice, Practice, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right first. I recall Michael Ammar saying that "Practice does not make perfect - practice makes permanent". So, if I am continually practicing something wrong, all I am doing is creating muscle memory for the wrong move.

That's right. Practice does not make perfect. PERFECT pratice makes perfect.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Well said
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
One key part of this production, is that I use the fleshy tip of my 2nd/middle finger to hold back everything but the first card. I actually bend those fingers to give the cards a little 'springing tension', and a gentle touch to the first card with my thumb makes it just pop out to my fingertips (held between thumb and side of first/pointer finger).

Does that make sense at all?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Mcmc

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the adivce. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
I have found that using some SORT KWIK or other fingertip moisturizer is very helpful in productions such as the perfect. Give it a try, you may be surprised.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
I have found that using some SORT KWIK or other fingertip moisturizer is very helpful in productions such as the perfect. Give it a try, you may be surprised.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
No problem. Let me know if there's anything else you have questions with.

After you learn this perfect production, you really should learn the single back palm (if you don't already know it), as well as split fans. It's incredibly fun and boggles spectators. That combined with cards from mouth can make a nice manipulatory interlude to your act - I always stick it in mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Help with Perfect Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL