The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Becoming a master close-up entertainer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I have been dabbling in magic since I was 12 years old, but never took the time and effort to master the art.

Now at 46 years old, with amateur knowledge and experience with close-up sleights and effects, where would you recommend I begin with videos, books, effects, etc., to make the best use of time, effort and money, to work on the mastery level of magicians like Bill Malone, Allan Ackerman, Martin Nash, etc.? Mainly focusing on card mastery, but not exclusively.
I want to purchace some videos mainly, but also whatever books, etc. that would be a must in this endeavor.
Thanks for any advice.

Steve
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
Bill Malone, Allan Ackerman, Martin Nash, etc.?

Hello, Steve

I think you have answered your own question to some degree, as there are enough videos / books from the above to keep you busy for some time.
Ozzy
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Ozzy
Hi Steve, I highly recommend the Card College books to anyone seriously interested in card magic. There are four volumes to the set, and they are the best books on the market for learning to be amazing with a deck of cards. Ozzy
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I totally agree! Volume 5 should be out at the end of the month!...Fabulous set of books!
Gerry Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
A nice variety of close up magic with cards, coins, balls, knives, etc can be found on the 4 volume video (now DVD) set of Commercial Classics by Johnny Thomson. He is a great performer and teacher.

Consider an old classic: Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne or some of his videos/

How about Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. That and Card college would be good choices.

If you want more difficult material that is more gambling oriented try Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table and Ortiz's Card Shark which are available in book and video form. Scams and Fantasies is great.

From Close Up Card Magic you will find so many gems that are not hard to do. I would start there. I did when the book was first published.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Card Collage
The Book Of Secrets
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I to took up magic seriously in middle age. It`s a question of lack of time. You must focus and not wonder off down side turnings.
Chose one of the magicians you mentioned and work only on that aspect. Have a practice schedule and stick to it.
If you want to work with cards don`t get involved, yet, with coins or rope.
I know it`s not that simple and you will have to go back and learn some of the basics, and you will get sidetracked, but don`t, at first, learn slights you won`t use or compromise your dreams.
You can do it .
Eddie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Becoming a master close-up entertainer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL