The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound system idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I know. Why would the decf guy be posting with a sound system idea? Smile

I was out with some friends and a band was playing there. I noticeda very unusual looking speaker on the stage. I asked them about it and he gave me some inforamtion. The speaker is actually part of a sound system. It looks like a tall pole.

My idea is to build this into a back drop or jet set. What I'm thinking is that if you have this hidden behind the curtain and have a microphone that no one can see on you. You can use it for your shows and your audience will be able to hear you good. but they won't know any sound system is being used. It would be a subtle effect that they proable won't even notice. Well, they might think "How can I hear him so well from way back here with no mic?"

You can click here to see what I'm talking about.

Just thought I'd share that idea. Like I said. I'm deaf so I'm not sure if it'll work like I hope. It's not cheap so I want to explore it a little before picking one up. The guy I talked to was very happy with his though.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
The Bose system would probably work well for that use, as long as the material was such that it lets the audio pass through unaffected, which generally is something that good backdrop materials don't do.

They're not super-terrific sounding speakers from the reviews that I've read, but certainly doable for our uses--I wouldn't want to put a band on them, despite Bose's ads (then again, I say that about everytime I see a Bose ad...their ads never live up to the products in my experience, particularly on their "professional" products).

The nice thing is that they're mini line arrays, so the sound is more consistent over a wider area, and they're more resistant to feedback (a discussion of the physics behind this is beyond the scope of this forum by far, but basically, the physical distance a mic is from the array ends up being shorter than the acoustic distance, so while you're standing three feet away from it, acoustically the mic is effectively four feet away; also, the general physics of a line array cause the sound to fall off only 3 dB each time the distance from the speaker doubles, whereas normal speakers fall off at 6 dB).

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
They are remote controllable, so that's good. You might want to just theme them in such a way that they look like props. I've never seen these. This is a pretty interesting idea! I can't see how you could get much bass response though, but those new powered subs could be made to look like just about anything resemling a crate or something like that, so between the two it might just work.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I am a design engineer for a pro audio manufacturer and the general consensus in the pro market is "no hi,s or lo,s its got to be Bose"
Seriously a lot of actors in plays wear Lavier mics and the sound system is integrated in many theaters, you are not going to fool an audience in to wondering were the sounds coming from if they can not see a mic or speakers people understand this stuff.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I agree with bloodyjack however I see the appeal in the basic concept of hidden room reinforcement.
If it is "cranked up" his statement holds very true as nobody in the 20th century thinks amplified sound is "magic". If however you use such a system in a subtle way just to bring up your voice level slightly above the ambient room noise it may make it simply more transparent and less of an issue that you are using a sound system at all. Does that make sense or am I sounding spacey?

I remember seeing a performer onstage once and the sound was so well defined that I forgot entirely about the mic (as we should) until he walked out into the audience. At that point I thought "wow what clarity I wonder where that mic is?"
Andy and others in this expertise obviously care about such things for the theater acoustics and make an occupation of doing that very well. For me, with my limited resources and knowledge, I simply make sure I am well heard, even at the cost of it being obvious to the audience.,
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I understand every ones point. As a deaffy I can only guess on this so thanks for filling me in.

What made me think of it is I remember seeing Blackstone jr. every year as the Abbotts get together and people would talk about how his voice was so strong he could do the show for a large audience with no mic.

I wouldn't think of all this as a magic effect really. that's not what I was thinking. I was basically thinking that on a subconscious level this might add some dimension to the shows. It would certainly seem professional.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I can see how some people could attribute the speaker with a great voice if it was just slightly re-enforced with an "Invisible" PA.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Well, one point I should add is that odds are very slim that this system would be able to provide sound that is transparent. That is to say, while you could use it and have it be physically invisible, the system doesn't sound good enough to be acoustically invisible. That isn't to say that there would or wouldn't be some psychological aspects involved in that if they can't see it, they might not "hear" it, but it's a stretch. My previous answer was just on the mechanics of it, not the effectiveness :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
One question. Why would you want the audience to think you didn't have a sound system? what possible benefit is there?
Keep passing the open windows!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
In theatre, that's generally the goal. A killer sound design, from a sound reinforcement perspective, is one that the audience only notices if it's turned off. The idea is that it clearly reinforces the sound, but is not noticeable, and thus doesn't distract them from the performance.

A microphone is a psychological barrier between the audience and the performer. When it can be used invisibly/transparently, it gives a more intimate feeling to the performance, and allows the audience to connect to the performer much more easily.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Hear here!
I have hear the Bose system in question and was saddened that bose even put their name on it the system is aimed at small bands who play Gigs and but a lot of equipment from their retailers. I don't consider this system of the quality for a serious performer. There are better systems out there for less money That achieve the same goals. if you wish to hide your system use standard speakers and build them into your set. get some one qualified as a sound designer to help you as you could get serious sound problems if done wrong.
btw as "deafy" you might want to also explore loop systems and direct interpritation systems as well as a selling point to Deaf and Hard of hearing audience. There are state grants for that.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
btw as "deafy" you might want to also explore loop systems and direct interpritation systems as well as a selling point to Deaf and Hard of hearing audience. There are state grants for that.

Would you happen to know of any good links on this? Don't spend any time looking because I'll do some searches. just wondering if you happen to know of any links off hand.

Also, thanks for the review of the Bose system I mentioned. It's good to ask before envesting. Especially for this "deafy".. Smile

Ron Jaxon

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound system idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL