The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Svengali Deck I Have Ever Seen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have been disappointed a number of times with Svengali decks that are not manufactured well.

On a recommendation, I ordered two Svengali Decks from Martini's Magic. I immediately looked at the force cards to see how they were made. They were a thing of beauty!

I have seen Svengali Decks from a number of makers, but these take the cake.

I called, was treated with courtesy, and actually got more than I bargained for!

It is not often I purchase a magic prop/effect and have my expectations exceeded. This was one of those times.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Chessman,

If you're doing the Svengali, then you have to have the book by the master of the deck, "THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT, The Greatest Svengali Routine in Existence," Author: Mark Lewis. Yup, the same guy that can reek so much havoc on this forum when he chooses is actually recognized as one of the (I'm sure in his humble opinion (teehee) the..)best Svengali pitchmen in the world. Lofty claim perhaps, but ya gotta give the man his due cuz he's that good at it.

Rob
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, Lewis has (part) of that routine on his website. I also hear that the book has some great stories Lewis tells in the book about interesting people he has performed for.

He actually sounds like Winston Churchill as he is pattering his routine!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Don't forget to check out Don Drivers excellent video on the Svengali pitch!

http://www.dondriver.tk
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I get my decks from Haines House of Cards
http://haineshoc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

Haines House of Cards, Inc.
2514 Leslie Avenue
Norwood, OH 45212
513.531.0707 fax
questions@haineshoc.com

Store Hours:
Mon. & Thurs. 9:00 - 4:30
Tues. & Fri. 9:00 - 6:00
Wed. 9:00 - 4:30
Sat. 11:00 - 4:00

Ron Calhoun
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I also ordered one from Haines. They were better than most Svengali Decks, but the ones from Martini's were *absolutely perfect*. Martini's were also about half the price.

Mark
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
But what, specifically, is it about Martini's cards that make them superior?

Gianni
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Gianni,

The F***e cards are prepared perfectly. Looking at one, you would never know it have been altered.

Every other Svengali pack that I have seen had force cards that you could look at and see had been altered. The ones from Martini are wonderful. Perfectly c*t.

This may not be a big deal to some. For me, it gives the option of doing whatever I like, not having to think about the specs seeing an uneven c*t , or corners that are not perfectly r***d. I can relax and do the routine as close up as I wish to the spec, *knowing* that the cards will not arouse the slightest suspicion.

For $7.50, postage included, it was worth every cent and more.

Mark
Felix Cardician
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Felix Cardician
Chessman,

Have you tried Royal magic's/Hampton Ridge special decks?
Bicycle cards, very well manufactured.
What about Martini's Svengali deck, are they Bicycle cards too?
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
All of Martinis cards effects use "BIKES"... He also has a vast knowdledge of the history and workings of magic. I am proud to call him a friend and find him to be the most up front guy you will meet..... I have asked his opinion on many Items (even those he sells) and he has told me on more than one occasion "don't buy that, it does not fit your style. you might want to try this though" He has done this when it has cost him a sale and for that I am greatful.... We all have stuff in our drawers that we don't use as it does not fit our style and if we all had a Martini we would be richer...Not just in $$$$ either...

Martini also makes his Svengali decks by hand first C****G them then R******G the corners one card at a time. It drives me crazy sometimes that I will be sitting there and away he goes working on Svengalis instead of showing me stuff. How dare he.....Just kidding Marty....

Jeff
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Felix,

Yes, as was mentioned above, they were Bikes.

I *also* had my choice of color and f***e card!

I have not used the Royal/Hampton, I don't *think*. I do have one of the one's that has Daryl's sleeve and instructions.

Mark
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
If you havent seen Don Driver or David Walker, then you may have seen a good one, but it is debatable if you saw the best..

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
gerry
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of gerry
Wish we could get some decent packs in the Uk.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I purchased a Svengali deck from Martini too and he is just one of the nicest guys to deal with. His deck is beautiful and his service is unmatched.
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
The Haines Svengali decks are available in the UK from The Card Collection (Clive Leewarden).
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
Marty is the nicest guy in magic, and may be one of the most knowledgeable. I think he puts more care into every gaffed card he makes then anyone else in the business!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I mentioned this in a message appended to another thread, but the comment really makes more sense here, so I will rephrase it.

I recently ordered two Svengali decks from Marty Martini's Magic. They involved a special request: I designated both of the f***e cards, and specified that the indifferent cards for each deck represent 1/2 of a deck of 52, so that if put together, they would make up one complete, examinable deck.

The work was very carefully done, and enough attention was paid to the details, that each f***e card was among the indifferent cards in the other deck.

All for the "list" price of $7.50 including postage.

Incredible? Yes. But from the comments above, apparently routine for this master craftsman.

The only thing is, now I'm thinking that I should have had these made up as "Trilby" decks!
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
I don't have seen the Svengalis Marty sells, but I can say that the "Factory Cut Svengali Decks from USPCC" were the best I have ever seen!
Perfectly made.
And not expensive.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Svengali Deck I Have Ever Seen (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL