The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Success in Magic" ReyRey's Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
If you have been performing between 5 to 10 years and you still haven't accomplished the targets below, then please consider purchasing Jim's course "Success in Magic"?

I quickly ran through volume one and two awhile back and saw that there was "Nothing new under the sun" for me personally. Please don't read into my statement, that I am an Egotist or dismissive. It is merely my point of view based upon personal expense and experience. Had I purchased his material several years back before my journey, surely I would've shaved some time off my launch.

However, I like hearing people say what my heart tells me is TRUE! I enjoyed the read immensely! I ask you to consider his course, if you answer yes, to any of the below. Remember, if you have been performing, for less than five years professionally or part time, then by all means, get his course, after you have visited your library, for the marketing basics. If you've been in the "Business for more than five years successfully, then there probably isn't much left for you to discover in Jim's work.

Before your journey into any of these new Magician's Marketing Products, be sure to go to your local library or bookstore assuming your overdue fines are paid and
head directly for the marketing section. Seek out Dan Kennedy's works specifically. I also recommend my fellow Phoenician and friend Millard Grubb's work, along with a myriad of others for you free perusing courtesy of your local community taxes.

Here are some targets to consider;

A.) If you are grossing less than $48,000 performing magic.
B.) If you haven't been on the television, radio, or the local rag.
C.) If your marketing campaign has taken you nowhere financially but down.
D.) If you are working the entire weekend with low fees and no personal time off.
E.) Poor percieved value in your area.
F.) Poor personal appearance.
F.) Poor perception from your prospects due to amatuer marketing materials.
G.) No positioning power or name recognition leverage over your competition.
I.) Great act, but little show time.

His thoughts will not catapult your career to achieve the above goals without your personal action, but they will provide solid direction. Because after reading the material, you should be compelled to write down your target goals, which in turn will then crystallize your ambitions and lead to success after success in the desired areas.

These are the areas that I was concerned most with, when I first started attending seminars and purchasing books at my local bookstores. Reading Jim's material corroborated many of the values I already had in place.

I offer here, what I put in place personally, to take my business, to the next level.

I became a local celebrity, offered more than my competitors could, I am well groomed, my equipment sparkles, my show is top-notch (with help from many theatre directors), my marketing materials are glossy and present a professional look, I go the extra mile, I am very organized, I made it a point to become knowledgeable in many areas not related to magic, I keep in touch with my top clients on a consistent basis,I help others get that which they desire, I am present during discussions (my mind doesn't drift) above all, I am sincere in my approach to all those I make contact with, and GIVE THANKS!

Please look for my review of Jim's Volume Two in another post?
With kind regard to all students of Jim's Course and of course to Mr. Snack himself,
R2 http://www.magicofreyrey.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Good one ReyRey. Certainly gives me a clearer understanding of what's going on here. I liked the questions you posed as well.

Thanks,

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
ReyRey,

I wrote the Success in Magic course specifically to help people cut years off their learning curve in building their business and it covers the most important things one will learn in the first five to ten years in the business. My goal was to give those thinking about "taking the plunge" into magic full or part-time three things.

First, a clear vision of what to expect, from the perspective of someone who has traveled that trail for over twenty-five years. If you've been reading Magic Café posts for a while you will see there are a lot of misconceptions about the business of magic.

Second, sound strategies for building one's business, including business planning, setting fees, marketing strategies and more, incuding a complete career ladder that you will not see in print anywhere else.

Third, I detail the tactics I used to build a successful business working primarily within a 200 mile radius of my home in upstate New York. Volume Two, 64 new Ways to Magic Pay, covers in detail, how I worked each type of booking, from schools, to trade shows, to theaters and more. There's "no pie in the eye stuff." Just real practical advice about how to work each type of booking successfully.

With all due respect, you wrote: "If you've been in the "Business for more than five years successfully, then there probably isn't much left for you to discover in Jim's work." That may be true for you, but you may want go back and re-read more carefully. You might find some things you overlooked.

When Steven Cohen, a very successful performer (www.chambermagic.com) bought the course, I immediately called him to ask why. After all, he was already established and very successfully performing at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC and Ritz-Carltons all over the world. His response was that he specifically bought it for the section on working theaters. "If I get just one idea it's worth the investment," he said. He got many ideas.

You are correct that one should visit the library and read everything you can find on marketing and running your own business. I did that and still do. The advantage of my course is that all that information is then applied specifically to the magic business and presented by someone who has done it successfully since 1979. The goal is to help anyone who wants to start or grow their magic business.

Hope that helps also.

Magically yours,
Jim Snack
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
The classy thing to do Jim, would've been to say, "Thanks for the positive review" not "With all due respect, yada, yada, yada."

Perhaps I'll overlook my review of volume two.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Take a look at the Table of contents that Jim Snack has produced. It is a worthwhile book for any working entertainer. Lots of good ideas!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
Dennis Michael
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I have been a full time professional performer my ENTIRE life. Never had a traditional "job" that spring boarded me into the performing business. That said, after reading and re-reading Jim's wisdom (which is what it REALLY is!) I too have 100% glowing coments and experiences to relate about Jim's KILLER "Success-In-Magic" system.

I hesitated in responding as I am somehow misperceived as some sort of trouble maker by a few who think that having our own perspective to share based on our respective life experiences, (dare I say the word "disagree") is somehow taken as an in offense as an "attack" instead of what it “IS”, (a genuine, heartfelt CONTIBUTION) and respecting each-others values, life experiences and perspectives as a valuable opportunity to constantly LEARN and GROW from.

After "many" decade in the performing industry, full time and helping thousands of others grow and get closer and even ACHIEVE their hearts most desired dreams as ‘real’, I find Jin's "Success-In-Magic!" incredibly valuable as a growing performer as well as the established pro.

C.A.N.I. = as Tony would say:
Constant And Never-ending Improvement

No matter your station, Jim has a TON to share and learn from.

Just another zealous experience.

I am, as always, at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano in snowy Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
ScottL
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ScottL
Well said Jim and Dean. Both of you are class acts.

Scott
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I too have been performing my entire adult life. I purchased Jim's course as a gift for a friend who was beginning his professional carreer. After he had worked with it for a while, I borrowed it and read it, and was extremely impressed. There were many things that made me reevaluate some of my own business practices. I think they are terrific in every respect.

--Chris
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Chris... YOU, my friend have an GREAT Site!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I also found Success In Magic to be a terrific course. I own many others and consider Jim's to be among the best.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-12-28 10:29, ReyRey Puentes wrote:
The classy thing to do Jim, would've been to say, "Thanks for the positive review" not "With all due respect, yada, yada, yada."

Perhaps I'll overlook my review of volume two.

ReyRey -

Just as Jim might have not been "classy" in giving a rebuttal to your review, it also wasn't "classy" to threaten not to review volume two because of his little faux pas.

Remember, none of us is perfect, including yourself.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I have mentioned Jim's course in a lot of other posts but I will say it again. Yes Rey, he might be giving information that is already available, however, you have to know where to look to get the answers. Jim has already done this, looked in the right places, and he lays out the info in a logical, concise way that is interesting and informational at the same time.

Yes I was doing some of the things Jim suggests in his book, but he showed me ways to improve my marketing and by following his methods my income SHOT UP, actually doubled just by following the book and eliminating the mistakes I was making.

I would gladly pay double what he charges to have the success I now have. You can tell I think it should be required for eveyone thinking of going pro.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
"Two" all parties concerned;
Jim and I have some understandings that none of you are aware of. It would not be proper for me or he to post our personal messages here in the open for your judgements, good, bad, or indifferent. Sorry! It's not going to happen! Jim Snack can post his personal feelings about the fairness or accuracy of my post based upon MY career, if he so wishes. Furthermore, Jim and I have met on a personal basis, face to face. We get along just fine and I respect how he carries himself. Very professionally!

My review wasn't meant to incite a defensive posture by any of his students, peers, nor business partners. It was posted in response to some of the members here, whom know where my career lies and wanted my personal review of this material.

Jim mentioned the theatre section. My review is based soley on the work of Volume One. My post did not make that clear. The theatre section isn't covered in Volume One. It is discussed much more extensively in Volume two.

My comment subsequent to his post was in haste. In all fairness to the complete work of Brother Snack, "Success-in-Magic", I shall post my honest and fair review of volume two, when my schedule permits.

Once again, please accept my apologies for not being perfect. I thank Brother Donald for pointing that out! Thank You, Gracias, Grazzi, Merci beaucoup!~r2
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
For those whose curiosity has been raised by ReyRey's last posting, let me say that, as I told ReyRey in a private message, I thought his assessment of was fair, honest and accurate. I also thought that he had a lot of positive things to say. I really wasn't trying to rebute anything, only clarify my goals for the course.

I've always positioned the Success in Magic course for those looking to get their business started in magic, what you need to learn in the first five to ten years to make a decent living at magic. I look forward to ReyRey's assessment of Volume Two as well as suggestions from anyone for improving it. What's missing, what needs further clarification, etc.

That's one reason I include a 30-minute personal telephone consultation and unlimited email follow-up with every course. I want to know exactly what people need and how I can help them achieve their individual goals in magic.

ReyRey and I had the pleasure of meeting a few years ago at the SAM convention in Las Vegas and I found him warm and friendly. He is passionate about magic and I admire and respect that. That's one thing I really like about the magic community - it's filled with such interesting people.

Happy New Year to all.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thanks Rey Rey AND Jim!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 18:18, Jim Snack wrote: ...I really wasn't trying to rebute anything, only clarify my goals for the course...

Sorry for the misunderstanding of your interaction, Jim and ReyRey. Guess that I am human and made a mistake, too.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Please look for my review of the second volume of this series this saturday morning?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Success in Magic" ReyRey's Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL