The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rubber Cement - what is that in the UK? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I'm in a sticky situation...

I read frequent references to rubber cement from North Americans. What type of glue is that? In the UK we don't use the term "rubber cement" so I don't know what type of glue to go for (PVA, super glue etc). And Elmers Glue isn't readily available here either.

Cheers

ML Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It is a glue that is used in stationary applications (papers etc.) and when dried is kind of rubbery. In fact, if you take some of it, and roll it between your fingers it can be streched a bit, and looks pretty disgusting.

It also has a distinctive, pungent smell.

But it has some wonderful characteristics which make it a useful addition to your magic equipement.

I will look at mine and see what ingredients are in it. And try to post later tonight.

I would expect that you have it there, but it is called soemthing else.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Now that I think of it, I wonder if it is like the glue used for model aircraft etc?

ML
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Link,
I don't think it's quite the same thing.
Rubber cement (and I should know what it's called in the UK but I can't remember) is an acid-free type of glue whose main value is that it won't wrinkle when applied to paper.
It's ideal for putting pictures on the faces of blank cards, etc.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
And Clippo!

Jakks
rasw
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of rasw
Quote:
I read frequent references to rubber cement from North Americans. What type of glue is that?

It's also known as "Contact Cement".

You can apply it to two different surfaces and let it dry completely. They'll be _slightly_ tacky when dry, but when the two surfaces touch each other, they'll stick.

For magic tricks, you can reduce the level of stickiness by putting some talcum (baby) powder on the rubber-cement coated surface once it dries. (Otherwise, it'll stick pretty tightly.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
No, contact cement and Rubber Cement are two different things. Rubber Cement is a latex based product, whereas most contact cements are petrochemical based. Rubber Cement can be used as a contact adhesive, but Contact Cement cannot be used like Rubber Cement.
In England, I believe it is called paper cement and a brand that is available at stationers or art supply stores is called Best-Test paper cement.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
COPYDEX!!!!

Ross
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
If you have a bike, you probably have a puncture repair outfit.

And the glue in there is called Rubber Cement.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Cheers for all the replies...

Dave - I don't have a bike, just a unicycle, and no puncture repair kit. But I'll have a wee look next time I'm near Halfords.

ML Smile
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Pop into a Games Workshop, as they stock it.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Quote:
On 2002-09-17 09:42, Neil Cook wrote:
Pop into a Games Workshop, as they stock it.

Thanks Neil - I think my nearest Games Workshop is Stirling, about 40 mile from me, so I'll check it out next time I'm there. I find GW a bit sinister though...
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
In England, rubber cement is called cow gum, or bull gum. You should be able to find it anyplace that carries supplies for artists and photographers.

Jim
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Cheers Jim. I assume it is called the same thing in Scotland Smile

ML
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Quote:
I assume it is called the same thing in Scotland Smile

Nah. In Scotland it's called something unpronounceable. Smile

Just kidding. I love Scotland (land of my grandparents). I still have a can of Irn Bru from my last visit. Smile

Jim
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
mmmm...Irn Bru. Our second national drink (after whisky) and it out sells Coke here.

And, more to the point, I've got hold of some cow gum. I suppose it's made from bovine bones/ hooves etc? Nice Smile

ML
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
What us colonials call "rubber cenent" is not for cementing rubber. It is pure latex rubber dissolved in naphtha. When the solvent evaporates, a thin layer of soft, tacky rubber remains.

Some of the other statements are correct. It does work as a type of contact cement in that two surfaces coated with it and allowed to dry will stick tightly together on contact. However, as stated, it is not what we call "contact cement."

No mention has been made of one of its drawbacks for use on items that are meant to remain stuck together for weeks or months. Rubber oxidizes when exposed to air. Over time, rubber cement will turn brown and usually produce a visible stain.

Unfortunately, I don't know what it's called in Scotland. I also don't know what Irn Bru is called in the US.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Thanks for the help, Sid. Irn Bru is, well, Irn Bru anywhere in the world. You can get it in the US - I found it in a 24/7 in Boston once!

ML
Smile
Skinny Man
View Profile
New user
UK
72 Posts

Profile of Skinny Man
Copydex can be purchased in the UK (and I guess Scotland!) from Office World, either in a tube for £2.19, or in a jar for £3.69.
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
Accra, Ghana (ex-London, UK)
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
I haven't found Copydex to be strong enough for some things. Cow Gum is stronger.
Graham
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rubber Cement - what is that in the UK? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL