The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Rik Brooks Chop Cup & Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Rik Brooks was kind enough to send me his chop cup routine. After viewing it, and more importantly using it, I have to say it is the finest chop routine I have seen to date!

Rik has created a routine that is fun (for both the performer and spectators) creative, and versatile, all while paying tribute to the masters before him. Rik’s routine and movements are well defined and thought out, allowing you to add your own personality and touches.

I would highly recommend this routine to anyone who uses or wants to use a chop cup. I only hope not too many people read this. It is far too much fun to share!

The routine can be found with Rik's Chop Cup. The cup is made of leather, and can be personalized with your initial. Rik's Chop Cup was given the honor of being displayed at Bill Palmer's fine Cups and Balls Museum (http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/images/brooks.jpg). For more info you can contact Rik. Tell em' David sent ya!
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Wow!! That is a nice looking chop cup. My personal preference has never been that of a leather chop cup. However, I may change my last name to something that starts with a "B" and see if Rik will sell me his cup.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Take a dark brown sharpie, and color in one side on the "B". There, now it's a sideways "W" Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Hey, I do 'W's too! I can do J's as well.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I wouldn't admit that you do 'J's', Rik! You never know who's monitoring this board after all! Smile

Beautiful work! How much and where can I get one?

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
tenyoguy
View Profile
New user
Belfast/Northern Ireland
12 Posts

Profile of tenyoguy
O.K., so the keyboard's wet from me drooling over the pic of the chop cup! I WANT ONE RIK!! I use a set of leather cups and balls- even the balls are leather, and would LURVE a great chop cup like that! TO all the members, may I wish you all a great new year, may it be full of wonder, laughter and the riches you deserve.
"There is no doubt, it must be witchcraft!"
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Hey Tenyoguy, I'm planning on making leather cups and balls as well. One set will be big enough for a baseball final load and the other even larger. I haven't decided how much larger though. I do a little street magic now and then and am considering busking so bigger cups will be better. Right now I'm just trying to make up my mind how big to make them.

I like the idea of cups and balls because I get more space for the tooling. The Sheridan style really gets nice when you have plenty of space. Oh yeah, I don't use patterns for the designs. They just sort of flow. I wet the leather, take a knife and start carving spirals. The design comes out of that.

I'm kind of considering for the cups and balls asking the customer to send me a signature that I can print out then engrave their signature on the cups, I like the idea of that.

I also want to use a special lacing that's done on a flat surface rather than an edge. I'll use it for the beads. I intend on doing three beads spaced really close together.

Now, if I could only make linking rings out of leather my act could go BDSM.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<Now, if I could only make linking rings out of leather>>

Why couldn't you? Just take a set of rings, and either cover them with leather lacing, or maybe even a leather "sleeve"???
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 23:33, David J. Greene wrote:
Why couldn't you? Just take a set of rings, and either cover them with leather lacing, or maybe even a leather "sleeve"???

I'm playing with that idea. Of course I would have to give up the distinctive ringing sound that we all like so much.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Of course you may have to open the ring a little more
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'm more excited about the mini chops and the cups and balls. I really can't decide how big to make the big ones. I'm thinking of a 6 inch inside diameter. You should be able to see those from quite a ways away.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Wow if they will look anything like the one in Bill's museum, you might want to start a waiting list! 6"? Isn't that a huge diameter for a cup? Need any testers? Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
They will look a LOT better than the one in Bill's museum. Of course, Bill will get the second set. I'll keep the first. Bill Palmer has been and still is a constant source of inspiration and instruction for me. He has unselfishly given of his time without a thought of recompense. He has honestly judged my performances and given me gentle but very honest criticism. I feel that I owe him so much.

As for 6" being big - oh YEAH, they'll be huge. A baseball is 3" in diameter. These would take a small melon or a large grapefruit. My idea is that street performers would love them. Of course the balls would have to be bigger so some of the sleights would have to be altered, but these would be crystal clear to a very big crowd, maybe even a stage act.

It's just an idea though. The first big set that I'll do will be jumbos, big enough to comfortably take baseballs and that's about it. Maybe a 3.5" inside diameter.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well, Bill weighed in with his opinion and convinced me that the largest I should probably try is big enough for a softball. I think that's about 4" but will have to check.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I just posted my first chop cup on ebay for a 7 day auction with a 'Buy it Now'. It was bought in 4 hours!
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Congratulations, I am sure he/she will not be disappointed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Rik Brooks Chop Cup & Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL