The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stolen Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Nick, did they pay your mate as He obviously hadn't been cancelled.

I would be wary of taking future booking off someone who did that, they are unreliable and untrustworthy and the shoe may be on the other foot next time. If it happened to me or Billy the place would go on our banned list.

Billy and I were booked for the same place one time, it wasn't deliberate on their part, just a comunication error with the people running it. luckily we dicovered their error very early on, and The one that was booked 2nd 'B',(I can't remember which one of us that was), phoned and told them what had happened and put things right and the one who was booked 1st'A' did the gig. They then booked the 'B' for next year.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Is that the Woodford scholl mate? If not, that's another one that happened to us.I think we've had a few of these occasions over the years.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Yeah I think that's it, you did it didn't you. We also had noss mayo pre-school try and book you forgetting they'd booked me.

Oh lets not forget that catholic school in Devonport who provisionally booked me you and Chris that year all at the same time.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I have had folks who wanted to hire me, after having booked the wrong magician and request, that I call them, and inform them, of their cancellation thinking, that I would have absolutely no problems doing so.

Can you believe that?

One time I was asked for a discount because they had given a deposit for "Barney". The host had planned to let "Barney" keep the deposit, cancel him and hire me instead for a discount in the amount of "Barney's" deposit. NOT!

I declined, but they hired me anyway. Imagine my surprise after my performance when none other than "Barney" stepped out onto the performance area? Often times clients will invent stories or try to pit one performer against the other for what they percieve as a lack of scruples on the entertainer's part. In this case they were trying to get me to knock down my price by crafting a lie.

This year I declined their event. This was a very well to do family by the way.
I guess I know some of their tactics to obtaining wealth now. Get from Peter to pay Paul.

Do not let them do this to you and don't beleive everything they say about "Joe Smuckatelli the magician" without checking the facts with Joe. They are trying to get the best bargain sometimes and don't mind inventing stories. The old divide and conquer.

This is a wonderful discussion. I have more stories as I am sure you do as well.
~r2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 08:02, Peter Marucci wrote:
It would depend almost entirely on WHY the buyer cancelled the first show and hired you.

This is a very good point that Peter made. Here's a specific incident that happened a few months ago.

I returned a birthday inquiry call. The prospect told me that she had already hired someone else (by the time I returned her call). I still offered her information (on the spot, and in the mail), for future reference.

She accepted my offer.

I chatted with her, doing a proper sales process (rapport, then questions about her needs, then offering a solution). Then she said to me that she was going to book me, and call the other performer back and cancel.

She told me exactly why she wanted to hire me... it wasn't because I cost less. In fact, I cost over $50 more than the other performer.

She chose me because I "sounded more professional and sounded like I was going to do a better job."

I didn't know the other performer she was going to cancel on, but she did feel that I wasn't an order-taker, and that the other performer was. She had more faith in my offering, even though I cost more.

For the most part, I won't take or chase another person's shows. In fact, I often refer shows to some of my competitors, when I can't help the customer. I know that this generousity will be reciprocated back to me.

When I talk with a customer, I attempt to take the time to build a relationship with them. This is important to not loosing a booking, even after it has been set.

And also, the first thing I do is send a contract/invoice (or a confirmation letter in the case of a birthday show) to re-assure the customer that I will be there, and to avoid buyer's remorse.

Buyer's remorse is when they regret making the decision to spend that much money, and want to cancel, or actually take action and cancel.

Buyer's remorse is what causes show cancellations, and can be prevented by sending a promo kit and a contract promptly, and keeping in contact with the customer (or at least letting them know that they can call you at any time with any questions). I don't even ask for deposits, in most cases. Just sending some paperwork assures them that I am professional, and will be there for them.

- Donald

P.S. So, the point of my story is that sometimes performers don't lose a show to another because of the fee being lower. It could be that the other performer represented themself as more professional, even at a fee that is higher.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
OK. So here's my question to everyone. Do you take a booking from this customer again?

[/quote]

Yes But I would charge 50% before hand with no refund if they cancel. It may have been simply a lack of communication on there part. pure accident or they simply don't care about their entertainers.

David
MikeSpark
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MikeSpark
OF course take the show.

I never understand magicians who say, "never go for another magicians gig." (OR to that affect).

THink Disney tries to lure customers from Universal?

Or event this - think the restaurant you work for tries to advertise in order to get you into THERE spot and not the other guys restaurant?

I'm not saying go to a restaurant and say, "well I'm cheaper and that guy stinks." but by all means, market away.

It's a business. The sooner magi realize that, the less tom, dick and harry's we'll have pretending to be professionals taking away work from REAL pros.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stolen Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL