The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » HaLo » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
Hi David,
I think it's really great that you are making yourself available here. I was curious to know your favorite Harry Lorayne routines and books? And what do you think of his latest? Did you learn the MES routine? I did. And I really like it.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Hi John -

My favorite Lorayne book (aside from the one about me, me, me) will always be Close-Up Card Magic, for many reasons. Not only is the magic excellent, I simply have an emotional attachment to the book, because I so enjoyed reading it at the time I did. It became a friendly voice calling from the cold.

I haven't read all of his latest, but I did read the MES routine - I can appreciate it, but it's not the kind of trick I do.

My favorite Lorayne routine is his memory demonstration using the current issue of TIME magazine - he rips it in half and tosses the pages out to the audience. Then audience members call out pages and he tells them what's on the page. He manages to save a particularly interesting page for the end. The reveals something about the page's contents, then discusses an advertisement at the bottom. He says what the ad's for, then gives the company's address...then the phone number...then the other phone number if you're calling from Canada! The routine changes depending on the issue, but you get the idea. Amazing.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
I wanted to ask what your experience was like in having Harry write "Star Quality." Certainly there is a strong sense of Harry's presence in the book. Was it difficult to write the book you envisioned, or was it a heart-warming, monetarily rewarding experience for you? Thanks, Vic Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Victor -

Having Harry write "Star Quality" (his title - not mine) was a thrill. His is the voice that invited me into close-up magic, through his books. I don't recall making a lot of money, but that wasn't the point.

I still remember broaching the subject with him. I waited until I fooled the guys at the cafeteria real bad with a trick, then swallowed, took Harry aside and asked if he had any interest in maybe putting some of my stuff together...

I still like the book very much. When it came out, it slipped under the radar - many good reviews, but one (by a "big shot") gave it look-down-the-nose faint praise. But I knew what was in the book (some interesting stuff), and I knew what was out there, so I had an internal conviction that I was offering up something nice.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Speaking of "Star Quality" I just saw a copy of it go for like $55.00 on e-bay today.

People are already scrabbling to collect your early stuff david!
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
I'd like to chime in a bit regarding Harry Lorayne. I believe it is very difficult to talk / work / session with Harry, and not been taken by his enthusiasm and energy level. It is contagious!

I also think Harry really is the greatest magical author of the last fifty years. His ability to write up other's material with accuracy and joy (as demonstrated in Apocalypse over those 20 years) is an amazing gift.

A short aside . . . back when I had sent Harry video of the material for my one man issue, Harry had no questions. None! I was worried sick that some moves, etc., would not be described properly, details might be left out, or a few typos would creep in.

When the issue came out, I was astonished. Harry got it all, described better than I possibly could, no typos, no mistakes at all.

Such is a portion of the huge talent that is Harry Lorayne.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Star Quality is a GREAT book, and it is my honor to own an autographed copy--purchased still in the shrinkwrap--from david at the Magician's World's fair in Hollywood. I had been looking for the book for years, and he had found a few extra copies. I was first in line to buy it! "Self-Evident" alone is worth the price, IMO.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » HaLo » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL