The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Virgil and Julie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
Anybody ever get a chance to see Virgil and Julie? I saw them in 1969 at a stage show in Phoenix - a wonderful production of large illusions,sleight of hand, mental magic and hypnosis. I assume he has long passed on, but trully a wonderful entertainer.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I saw them once back in the late seventies or early eighties. They performed their show in a High school gymnasium and about all that I can remeber seeing is their Spirit Cabinet and Julie's Jap Mirako act.
We have a member of our local club who used to tour with them and he has many wonderful tales of this pair of performers.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
In 1991 I wrote Virgil's biography, together with Julie. Virgil died in 1989. I spoke to him twice. A true GENTLEMAN in this business. Even though I wrote the book and am privy to lots of "behind the scenes" stories of their career, I never had the chance to see them perform. One of my great regrets.Virgil was truly one of the last of the "old school." (Wish there were more like him, today!)
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Dave:

I think John Calvert is the last of the old time buckeroos. He will be 94 this year, still performing.

Don
espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
David, is your book still in print? I would love to buy a copy. Their show was terrific. I remember being on stage twice ( as a spectator assistant) , once to check out his linkng rings and also as part of a group who was under mass hypnosis.

He even used "woofle dust" and a palmo ( do they even make those even more?)in a very entertaining silk routine. Julie also performed a blindfolded memory demonstration I beleive, ala Corinda.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I saw Julie do part of her memory act at the Collector's weekend honoring Virgil and herself. It was a great lesson in showmanship and presentation.

He was truely was one of the old school.

Yes, John Calvert is one of the old school. I worked with him again last summer. His pace is slowing a bit but not much. And the style of presentation is a little dated but watch and learn from him as there will never be anyone who the chance to develop into a performer the way these old timers did. Lee Grabel was another lesson I got to work with and learn from.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Sorry, the Virgil book is long out of print (1991) but H&R occasionally gets copies, and of course, eBay. Yes, Calvert is truly the LAST of the "old school." Although Virgil's pacing was slower and he did not have the "flash" of Calvert, his timing and magic were superb. Virgil was 13 years older than Calvert. If you watch Bill McIhaney's tape of the Garry Moore/Milbourne Christopher Magic Special "The World's Greatest Magicians" - 1967) you'll see Virgil and Julie do the Spirit Cabinet - and it is a MIRACLE.

Posted: Jan 16, 2005 11:04am
Another Virgil thought, about being "old school":
He used to carry a large black cyclorama curtain which would be hung to effectively "seal off" the back stage from the performing area. That way, local stage hands in the wings could not see how the tricks were done. Also, Virgil turned down performing on the Ed Sullivan Show (then THE top TV program in the country - like being asked to be on Leno's show today) because he feared that the stage hands would see how his "Sawing" and Dancing Hank routine worked during the rehearsal. Now THAT is "Old School."
Oh, for the day of "real magic" again!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw Virgil and Julie in a performance at the College of the Mainland in LaMarque, Texas about 1972 or 1973. He was quite a showman. So was she. I was very impressed with the way she did the memory act, especially the knight's tour. It was so inspiring that I went out and purchased a book on memory techniques so I could do the 20 object memory feat. I used it for a long time in various shows.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Virgil and Julie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL