The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Out of the Mouth Of Dave Dee (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
13ofhearts
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, AR
21 Posts

Profile of 13ofhearts
From what I've seen, there are at least two types of magicians. There are the artists and the businessmen. The artists like doing magic just to do magic, and the businessmen like to do magic to make money from doing magic. The artists think the businessmen are "selling out" on the art, and the businessmen think the artists have their heads in the clouds and will never be as successful as they are. They are probably both right at least a little bit. IT's the difference between Picasso and Thomas Kinkade.

Eric
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
If you ever speak with Dan ask him if he still has an affinity for "Stretchable Waist Slacks" it's an old reference. Tell him to try Arizona Mills, if so?

Go out and find Dan's work at any bookstore. Your local FedexKinkos store also carries one or two of Dan's written works.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
13 0f hearts - I agree! Thank you for putting that into words so nicely.

The real beauty to me is when the "artist" puts so much love into his creations that audiences eventually recognize his efforts, and he goes bigtime, leaving all the businessmen scratching their heads.
13ofhearts
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, AR
21 Posts

Profile of 13ofhearts
Quote:
On 2005-06-06 17:43, bsears wrote:
13 0f hearts - I agree! Thank you for putting that into words so nicely.

The real beauty to me is when the "artist" puts so much love into his creations that audiences eventually recognize his efforts, and he goes bigtime, leaving all the businessmen scratching their heads.

Absolutly. Jeff McBride comes to mind as a good example of that.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
13ofhearts,

I agree that Jeff McBride is a great artist, but he is also is the rare breed that combines tremendous art with tremendous business acumen. He is a top-notch businessman.

For instance, his "Art of Card Manipulation" video series is a best seller but he knew there was also a market for card work that wasn't as hard as the manipulations in that series so he put together a new dvd called "Manipulations without Tears." (By the way, it's out of stock on his website! Obviously, he figured out a great market.)

He also has a 10-minute video download that you can purchase for $5. It's called "Thumb Kind of Magic" and it's a section out of his lecture. The work is extremely simple and something everyone can do.

His website is definitely set up to make money!
13ofhearts
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, AR
21 Posts

Profile of 13ofhearts
No doubt about that! I've seen his office in his house, he has most certainly picked up a good business sense.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-06-05 11:25, Devious wrote:
Most of Dan's media runs for less than $20.00
I have personally met with Dan in Scottsdale, Az. and he is a very accessible and also very willing to share advice without having to attend a workshop or lecture.
You can also sign up for his online email tips through his website.

Daffy Doug -

Just to clarify this statement by our friend Devious, most of Dan Kennedy's MASS media is priced at less than $20. Those are his trade paperbacks, to introduce you to him and his products. You can buy them at many bookstores.

Here's a website that talks about 3 recent re-releases by Dan Kennedy: No BS Books Website. There are some free samples of content on this site, as well.

When you learn more about him (by buying and applying the content of his MASS MEDIA books), then he is hoping that you will invest in his higher priced products. But there is also real value in the content of the MASS media products, as both joshlondon and Devious indicated.

Dan Kennedy also has many seminar CD sets, books, courses, and other products, priced in the range from several hundred dollars through several thousands (not less than $20). Take a look at the store on his website (link was also posted earlier on this thread by joshlondon), and you can see that he sells more than books priced at less than $20. And I have some friends who have some of those higher investment products, who say they are worth every penny!

When you pay several hundred for a Dan Kennedy product (general business application, which you need to adapt and apply), and can have an adaptation already done for you by Dave Dee (industry specific letters, ads, scripts, etc.), it doesn't make Dave Dee's products seem overpriced. Again, I know several people who own both Dave Dee's and Dan Kennedy's stuff (and also go to both of their seminars, etc.), and were happy with their investments both ways.

- Donald

P.S. JoshLondon must have invested some serious money, if he has bought everything that Dan Kennedy has put out! Wow!
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
What a eye-opening thread..I get these Dan Kennedy type of sales letters in the mail ALL the time, mostly from real estate agents.. they go straight to the trash can.

Save your $20
Self concept is destiny..
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 17:47, MindPhantom wrote:
What a eye-opening thread..I get these Dan Kennedy type of sales letters in the mail ALL the time, mostly from real estate agents.. they go straight to the trash can.

Save your $20

Then they are doing their mailings wrong, sending Dan Kennedy type of sales letters to mass lists of unknown / unqualified prospects.

The "long" sales letters are only supposed to be sent to those who are genuinely interested, and have responded to a lead generation device (a shorter letter or ad). That's all part of Dan's way of doing things.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Out of the Mouth Of Dave Dee (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL