The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Soft teaspoons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
Hi

I'm looking for a place I can buy some cheapo teaspoons that will be soft enough to do the twirl bend with. Preferably somewhere I can order them online. Anybody know of such a place? I've looked in all sorts of different shops etc including Costco and all the usual recommended places on and off over the past couple of years, but I've never found any teaspoons made of soft enough metal. You don't get much leverage due to the smaller size so they need to be soft. The only place I've found such spoons seems to be when I'm on holiday in France!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I don't believe you need soft metal spoons like you are talking about. What you need are pliers and a vice.

Put the spoon in the vice with the handle end being held. Take a pair of pliers, grab hold of the spoon part and twist.

You may want to protect the surfaces with a soft cloth but other than that, that is all you need.

I believe Banachek had a method on his "Psychokinetic Silverware" tape that involved bending the spoon in half and then twisting it on the unbend. Maybe someone else can be clearer. Or better yet, buy the video. It is very good.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
Thanks for the suggestions, most of the spoons in the UK tend to be quite solid in my experience, and if you try to soften them by fatiguing them a bit they tend to fracture.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Go to your local homeless cafeteria, dress like a hobo, and get a free meal, but steal everyone's spoons....Ok, only I would do that. Seriously though if you are still in school, then your local cafeteria might have a few they could give you.

Smile Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You lost me. You mean you actually want to twist the spoon in front of the spectators while doing the routine?!?

Psychokinetic Silverware was annoying in that Gerry talked way to much. The routine and psychology however were first rate.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
Yeah twist it in front of the spec, tho that's not what they see. That is the basis of the twirl bend. You described it youself in your own post so I'm confused as to how you are lost! As you apparently unbend the spoon you put in the twirl bend, I got it originally from Patrick Kuff's controversial video. And I hadn't intended to descibe the method, but you've done it already.

Anyway the point is it's very difficult to do with a small spoon unless it's soft enough. Which is where I came in. Surely someone's been down this path before?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You lost me in the sense that from what I remember from the video, I thought that the twisted spoon was a gaff that was rung in during the routine. I could be wrong as I borrowed the video from a friend and don't have it to refer to. That is where the vice suggestion came from.

Here in the U.S., cheap thin silverware abounds in just about any school cafeteria and low priced restaurant. I would think that a restaurant supply store would have the type that you are looking for, atleast in the U.S.

Perhaps such places exist in the U.K. as well. Past that, I can't help you.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
any cheap cafeteria spoon will work for the twist. Even heavy ones, just a little harder. I suggest picking up a yellow pages, looking up restaurant supplies. Go to the location and check out the spoons, Delco makes plenty you can use, so does brandware. hope that helps Smile
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
COINAMGIC
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of COINAMGIC
try a dollar store
coins n' card there all good
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
The spoons I have are a little too strong, so I had to stomp them into shape with my foot to get them to twirl

by the way.. while I am interested in metal bending, the REAL reason I bought the psychonetic silverware video is because the cover was so striking. Congrats to the graphic designer on that one.
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
I have psychonetic silverware and also live in the UK and have found a place to buy poor quality silverwear ....

[where else but a magic forum would that be a 'boast' ??!!]

Andy there are a chain of shops called 'Wilkinsons' - they sell a pack four forks [which is what I work with] for 99p !! they do spoons as well.

Web site / store locator is

http://www.wilko.co.uk/index.htm

Hope this helps

Jax
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
5 and dime stores in the states. The airplanes always have crappy silverware - if its not plastic. Try the local prision or correctional facility.
-Casey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Soft teaspoons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL