The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Handcuff escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I'm planning to do a handcuff escape for a crowd with several magicians present. I'm wondering if it would be better to cover my hands with a cloth. I could also pick my way out using a paper clip in open view. The cuffs will be placed on a volunteer beforehand to prove that they are real. Which way do you think would be better?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Houdini had a "tent" onstage, for some of his handcuff escapes! (THAT was THEN!!!)

When I did an escape tour in '95, to salvage a tour that our escape artist, had canceled, I could just turn my back to the audience. It was VERY EFFECTIVE.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
Thanks for the advice. I'm just worried if I do it out of sight, they'll assume I have a key. On the other hand, if I turn my back, they could still see me fiddling with the locks. The premise is that I pick my way out using the paper clip. Turning my back is definitely a better option than covering with a cloth. I just might do that.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I did it foe about six weeks, and, had no problems. I didn't do a 'CHALLENGE ACT'. I talked about Houdini, and described his handcuff act. I also used a Hamburg 8 set of cuffs, and a modern thumb cuff (swing thru). I used Abbott's strait jacket for a 'big finish'. You used a paper clip? I just had a shim.

I only turned my back for about 5 seconds! It was the "speed" that sold the bit!
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
The escape went well. I placed the cuffs on two kids and had them test them out. One little girl was sure she could get out, but gave up after about three minutes of struggling. I let them out with the key, then they put them on me. It took me about thirty seconds and they popped open. The clip was just for show. They bought it hook, line and sinker.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As Lawrence Welk usta say; WUNNERFULWUNNERFUL!!!

I was just teasing! (I figured that that was what you used the clip for!)

Now youse kin start a new career! (Wanna buy my Hanburg Eights??? (They're "jumpers"! --don't even need a shim! I also have a set of Austrian Thumb Cuffs, They can be "in and outers", or as a thumb tie. Milbourne Christopher used Austrians on the TODAY SHOW, for thumb tie, about 50 years ago!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Handcuff escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL