The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » When is a pocket not a pocket? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
By the way, great patter.

That is proving to be an obstacle to me, ie. thinking of what to say.

Although HPJ does include patter, it is not the best model, at least in my opinion.

One thing you may have noticed is that so much of the patter implies betting on whether a feat can be done. There are also many examples of what would come across as insults. It is a far cry from the stories that people tell today.

Henry
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Tells us a bit about the performance context for the time it was written, though, eh?

Check your PMs.

Patrick
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Agreed.
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
Quote:
Girdle has a modern meaning that makes no sense in this context and I really don't know what it did mean then

In Elizabethan times a girdle was anything that encircled the waist. In modern parlence it would be a belt. The wealthy would adopt richly adorned and bejeweled girdles as status symbols. Hoi polloi would use a simple cord to gather their garments at the waist.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
THANK YOU, Rik! With that, the last bit of the puzzle is in place.

In fact, now I distinctly remember a painting of Henry VIII that shows him sumptuously dressed, with only a knotted cord at his waist.

That’s a nice bit of information to find in checking in this morning.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » When is a pocket not a pocket? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL