The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » When Thurston Came To Town (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I just read a fascinating article in the February Linking Ring about Rory Feldman's Thurston collection. The article mentions a soon-to-be-released DVD project that looks like a "must have" item for historians and enthusiasts. Check HERE for details. There's also some great info in the article regarding Mr. Feldman's plans for a new Museum of Magic. Pretty exciting stuff.
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Profile of RoryFeldmanMagic
Magiguy!

I greatly appreciate the kind comments. I was really honored to have the article in the February 2010 Linking Ring and to be able to get the word out about some projects I am working on.

As you mentioned, more information on the "When Thurston Came To Town" DVD can be found by visiting:

http://www.whenthurstoncametotown.com

A trailer for the DVD can be found on the website or by visiting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMObjIWb9M

More information on the Museum of Magic can be found by visiting:

http://www.museumofmagic.org

Thanks again!

Rory Feldman
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

...and even more information can be found on The International Brotherhood of Magicians website:

http://www.magician.org/portal/en/node/958
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rory, this looks tremendous and must have been a labor of love.

When will you start shipping? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Hi Seth!

Thank you so much for the very nice comments. Bill Rauscher and I put a lot of effort into this DVD and it is definitely a labor of love.

I am excited for people to start seeing it... which will be very soon as it is going to ship in MARCH 2010.

Thanks again for the message!

Rory Feldman
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
I just spoke to Bill and he is really excited about this! We had some old Thurston footage we found in our vaults and hopefully some of it will be on there as well. Hey, that trailer will make you want to buy!!!
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Hey Rick!

You are right! Bill is really excited about the "When Thurston Came To Town" DVD. Thanks for the kind words about the trailer! Hopefully the trailer will get people interested in the DVD.

Thanks.

Rory Feldman
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

* When Thurston Came To Town - DVD Update *

Wanted to inform you that we were notified by the DVD production company that the DVD's are slightly delayed, but will arrive to us very shortly.

We were originally told that the DVD's would get to us sometime in March, which is why we said "DVD's ship in March."

At the moment we are expected to receive the DVD's the week of April 12, 2010. We are told that they will ship to us on April 13, 2010.

You can find out more information on this DVD by visiting http://www.whenthurstoncametotown.com.

~ Incidentally April 13, 1936 was the day Howard Thurston passed away.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks for the update, Rory -- I'm really looking forward to this. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Great article in The Linking Ring Rory ! Can not wait to get the DVD.
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Thank you so much Seth! I am very excited for you to see the "When Thurston Came To Town" DVD and can't wait to hear what you think about it! Rory Feldman
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Hey Andrew!

Thank you so much for the comments about the DVD and the article. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed The Linking Ring article.

I think I met you briefly a while back at a Magi-Fest.

Talk to you soon.

Rory Feldman
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Bill Rauscher & I are very proud of the "When Thurston Came To Town" DVD. We have gotten a truly positive response from many people that have seen the DVD.

These reviews/quotes can be seen here:

http://www.thurstonmastermagician.com/TMS_06.htm

Thanks for looking!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Buy the DVD. its worth it.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Thank you very much!
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Why is this DVD 100 dollars? What justifies the cost? I'm sure there's a good reason. Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
RoryFeldmanMagic
View Profile
New user
New York City
12 Posts

Hi Matt - Thanks for your question. There actually isn't 1 good reason... there are many...

It is a Limited Edition DVD, Over 3 Years In The Making, One-Of-A-Kind Videos And Photos, Over Two And A Half Hours Of History, hosted by William V. Rauscher, Highlights From The Rory Feldman Collection, An Introduction By Hollywood Producer William E. Self, 8 Audio Commentary Segments, 17 Video Commentary Interviews, Over 19 Extremely Rare Video Clips, Including Over 10 Thurston Videos, 5 Audio Clips Of Howard Thurston, Hundreds Of Exclusive Images, the Music is courtesy Of "Rick Benjamin's Paragon Ragtime Orchestra", it includes a 32-Page Manuscript, and is approximately 176 Minutes.

As I mentioned above -- the DVD has received a truly positive response.

And as Mai-ling said 14 days before your post... "Buy the DVD. its worth it."

Thanks again for the message.

Rory Feldman

PS...

The day you posted your message was July 20, 2010.

141 years ago on that day, Howard Thurston was born (July 20, 1869 – April 13, 1936).
401bound
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 401bound
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2010, RoryFeldmanMagic wrote:
Hi Matt - Thanks for your question. There actually isn't 1 good reason... there are many...

It is a Limited Edition DVD, Over 3 Years In The Making, One-Of-A-Kind Videos And Photos, Over Two And A Half Hours Of History, hosted by William V. Rauscher, Highlights From The Rory Feldman Collection, An Introduction By Hollywood Producer William E. Self, 8 Audio Commentary Segments, 17 Video Commentary Interviews, Over 19 Extremely Rare Video Clips, Including Over 10 Thurston Videos, 5 Audio Clips Of Howard Thurston, Hundreds Of Exclusive Images, the Music is courtesy Of "Rick Benjamin's Paragon Ragtime Orchestra", it includes a 32-Page Manuscript, and is approximately 176 Minutes.

As I mentioned above -- the DVD has received a truly positive response.

And as Mai-ling said 14 days before your post... "Buy the DVD. its worth it."

Thanks again for the message.

Rory Feldman

PS...

The day you posted your message was July 20, 2010.

141 years ago on that day, Howard Thurston was born (July 20, 1869 – April 13, 1936).

Lots of people have and will invest years of their lives and thousands of dollars to assemble amazing documentaries but you don't see them charging $100 for a copy of it. There is no doubt in my mind this film is amazing and I do not doubt that this film is worth every penny of the $100. There are many magicians such as myself that simply cannot afford to $100 price tag for a DVD. I'm sure there are also hundreds of thousands of young magicians out there who dedicate their lives to the art/practice and preservation of the history of magic that are also not in a position to purchase a $100 DVD. Why would you want to hoard all of the amazing history and footage and only cater to a limited audience? The torch needs to be passed on. It seems a bit backwards, maybe a touch elitist and a bit greedy to be quite frank. I wonder what Howard Thurston would say about it. The audience for this film is already very limited...why limit it further with the price? I guess I'll just have to hold my breath and wait for the price to drop or for it to become a rental on Amazon. Although seeing as it's been almost a decade since it was released, I probably don't stand a chance.
401bound
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 401bound
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2010, Matt Adams wrote:
Why is this DVD 100 dollars? What justifies the cost? I'm sure there's a good reason. Smile

I am baffled and a bit agitated about it myself. Must be trying to recoup the money invested.
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
I would very much like to see this, but there is no way I can justify $100 for a dvd.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » When Thurston Came To Town (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL