The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silks for Silk Blendo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GalloMagic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of GalloMagic
Hi, I'm making a silk blendo, it has two silks sewn together with the four 18" silks inside the two sewn together silks, my issue is the audience can see through the two 36" silks thus seeing the 18" silks. Where would be a good place to find 36" silks that are not see through?
Thanks,
George
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
You can buy heavier weight ( more opaque silk fabric) to hide the inner silks better, but most performers control the transparency issue by controlling the stage lighting. If the lights are from the front, the silk will not look as transparent to the audience? If you are back lit... it wouldn’t be as good. Also, if the 36” outer silks are darker colors or more intense,they are less likely to show the inner silks.

Most magic silks are between 5 and 8 momme in weight. A heavier weight of habotai silk such as a 10 or 12 momme will definitely be less transparent. But this will come at a cost: the 36” silks when folded will take up more space and willbe more difficult to conceal!

You can buy all weights of silk fabric online at places such as dharma trading or exoticsilks.com
visit me @ JNealShow.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Also consider David Ginn's Blendos, which can be done with a single 36" silk and it doesn't have to be opaque; any large silk will work. https://www.ginnmagic.org/product/color-......-purple/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2019, GalloMagic wrote:
Hi, I'm making a silk blendo, it has two silks sewn together with the four 18" silks inside the two sewn together silks, my issue is the audience can see through the two 36" silks thus seeing the 18" silks. Where would be a good place to find 36" silks that are not see through?
Thanks,
George

Nowwhere today, there is no market for those silks any longer. Rice once sold a heaver weight silk, and there was another version by a Japanese Company, but those ae no longer available. They were dragon silks, that fell into the foulard category, because they were a little heavier.

I suggest you buy the one you were interested in, that I found for you at Penguin Magic. You liked that handling as well.

You are falling into the trap many magicians that don't understand stage magic do. You make a false statement, that the audience can see through the you silks, but how do you know, were you in the audience. When two silks are sewn together, there is an air gap, that gap creates a void, that is opaque.

If you don't believe us, then why are you asking. We went through this before in your last post on Blendo's. Read Jonathon Neil Brown's post again. He is an expert on silks.

Please note, that 4 silks are to many for this to work smoothly. Three is max. Maybe those really thin China Silks would work, but not good quality silks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silks for Silk Blendo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL