The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Taste or Smell Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Most tricks focus on sight, some focus on hearing (like the tuning fork), even fewer focus on touch, but smell and taste are neglected in magic. Now, I realize that a spectator asked to taste something might be reluctant, and for good reason, but lets ignore this for a moment. What could be done to trick the senses of smell and taste?
Reality is a real killjoy.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Sweet Salt, Slydini

Robert-Houdin caused a lady's borrowed, monogrammed handkerchief to vanish and appear inside a tin box buried outside under an oak tree. The box, when opened, let out the unmistakable smell of brimstone.

Robert-Houdin also used the smell of ether to enhance his suspension of his son.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Zach! Tactile, olfactory, and gustatory are all SUBJECTIVE. That's one of the big reasons that there are so few of those EFFECTS.

Pop has given you several examples of olfactory illusions.

I do a brief routine in my school show to "explain" how our senses help create illusion. I do several optical illusions (the old "boomerang sticks" and also the "What's Next" (Tenyo) card. I also demo one tactile illusion, which the whole audience can try--and fool themselves.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oops! I meant "OLFACTORY" (the HOUDIN handkerchief transposition) and "GUSTATORY" (SLYDINI'S Sweet Salt.

The ether did not contribute to the actual ILLUSION. but, as Pop Haydn noted, it ENHANCED the effect. (PRESENTATION!!!)

BTW: TASTE AND SMELL are closely related. When one's nasal passages are "obstructed" by a cold, food does not taste the same!

Although I use the illusion routine for all ages, it's particularly effective for a high school audience. I wrote up the routine in my book, with patter (hate that word!)and presentation.

Adolescents often come into the auditorium expecting to see "Uncle Bozo" do the sort of tricks that they have seen at a little kid's birthday party. I need to "get them" quickly, so I open with a MILD sucker trick in which they soon realize that "clever" sleight of hand is involved (color changing silk thru hand) and then while they're still laughing, I "explain" how the magic is "happening" IN THEIR MINDS, due to their fallible senses. The rope routine of knots, Professor's Nightmare, and "my" Norwegian YOYO, which follows, "sets the hook", and, the perverse "antics" of the golf ball which follows the rope, helps them to further realize, that I'm not doing going to show them "trick boxes". The rope routine, and the ball routine are in my book, also.

This has slightly "high jacked" your thread, but, I thought that it might help.

I am impressed by the depth of your thinking. Too many young magicians only see the "top of the ocean"! I think that, if you continue, you will develop into a really fine performer!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks, I haven't heard of sweet salt, I'll look at that. And thanks Dick, that means a lot coming from you.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In Sweet Salt, Slydini would announce he was going to make a handful of salt vanish from a spectator's own hand. He poured salt in the spectator's hand, had the spectator taste it and close his hand. Magic gesture, and the salt was still there. "Taste it." The spectator now has a handful of sugar.
kardistic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kardistic
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The word lemon makes my mouth water which is quite magical. One could feed a chick a tasty morsel and make it lay an egg like the great Luxor Gali Gali. Or one could feed a Toady a poisonous frog and cure him but that might be bad taste. There is the teapot trick, where the company calls for a drink.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I’d think issues with an effect including taste would be it doesn’t play big...one, tow, or a few people tasting something isn’t easily related to others. Also, taking something and putting it their mouth is requires a high level of trust on behalf of spectator. Who want to eat something given to them by somebody who tricks people?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who wouldn't buy a bottle of Pop's snakes oil?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
Morgan Strebler's Taste Conditions
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Kenton Knepper suggested using suggestion to make a person taste burnt toast. You could use those techniques to do all sorts of taste/smell tricks.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I do a version of an effect called "The Third Choice" by Corinda straight out of the 13 Steps book. I use cards upon which are written different flavors of chicken wings. The cards are placed in opaque envelopes and after being shuffled by the spectator one envelope is chosen. The word on the card in the chosen envelope matches the "prediction wings" that I actually purchased from pizza hut and brought to the performance. The spectator then can have the wings to eat and/or share.

This routine includes the sense of taste and smell as I go through and describe all the different flavors I wrote on each card. It's s pretty easy effect that incorporates different senses then the ones we usually use.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
There was a Pro Mystic effect that allowed you to have a spectator take a sip of one of 5 different liquids and you could sense that taste time after time.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Taste or Smell Trick (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL