The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I'm looking for the name of this move. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Long Phan
View Profile
New user
Germany
7 Posts

Profile of Long Phan
Hi everyone,
while messing around I came up with this move/control: left hand Mechanical grip, riffle down with your thumb asking spectator to say stop anywhere, pick up the upper half with right index finger and thumb to show the selection. While putting the top half of the deck back: You pull the selection down with the 3 other fingers and then shove the bottom half in the gap and close it. Now the selection is at the bottom. That's the basic idea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wYGmpHe......=sharing

I tried to take a snap of what meant. Of course the bottom half should be in your left hand.

I'm sure this move has been invented by someone at some point. I would like to know it's origin. Thanks alot.

Greets from Germany.

(I hope I posted this in the right thread)
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
That's the "Kelly Bottom Placement"
Long Phan
View Profile
New user
Germany
7 Posts

Profile of Long Phan
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, Bobby Forbes wrote:
That's the "Kelly Bottom Placement"

Thanks a lot exactly what I'm looking for !

"The Ovette Master Move is a card sleight developed by (or attributed to) Joseph Ovette around 1927 to secretly place a chosen card on the bottom of the deck. It later reinvented as Kelly Bottom Placement."
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
No problem. Its a fun move to do. Just watch your angles.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
If you're using it without a table, you may also want to check out Allan Ackerman's "Ackerman Varies Kelly." It's arguably far superior and eliminates the horrible front-side finger movement that can "almost" always be seen.

AsL
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Isn't it also called the Ovette Master Move?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Harvey Rosenthal and Jack Birnman also had variations that avoided that give away front finger movement.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, NicholasD wrote:
Harvey Rosenthal and Jack Birnman also had variations that avoided that give away front finger movement.

I did a quick search to explore these two other handlings a bit more. I believe Harvey Rosenthal's is called the Rosenthal Placement - Is this correct? Also, do you know if Jack Birnman's work on it was ever published?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Although I've never seen a handling that beats the naturalness and ease of a good Convincing Control, I will say that Steve Reynolds has a version that completely eliminates any tension in the fingers (because it doesn't rely on the fingers). I don't, however, think it's published.

Ackerman's certainly eliminates the claw grip and scoopiness of the usual handlings, but in doing so sacrifices the expediency of the Kelly/Ovette technique. His move always looked a little too studied and deliberate for my tastes.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks for the fine evaluations of the moves, Rupert. But I wish you had not told me about something not published hehe.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, AsL wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, NicholasD wrote:

I did a quick search to explore these two other handlings a bit more. I believe Harvey Rosenthal's is called the Rosenthal Placement - Is this correct? Also, do you know if Jack Birnman's work on it was ever published?

Yes, the Rosenthal Placement sounds correct. As far as I know, Jack Birnman's handling has not been published ( although, material for a book was compiled, but a book has not been forthcoming ). I lived not far from Jack for many years before he passed away, so I learned the mechanics from him. Also, I illustrated a couple of Harvey Rosenthal's booklets in the '70's and learned his handling from him. Of the two, I found Harvey's handling to be a little more suited to my style. It was a very versatile move.
jaschris
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Although I've never seen a handling that beats the naturalness and ease of a good Convincing Control, I will say that Steve Reynolds has a version that completely eliminates any tension in the fingers (because it doesn't rely on the fingers). I don't, however, think it's published.

Ackerman's certainly eliminates the claw grip and scoopiness of the usual handlings, but in doing so sacrifices the expediency of the Kelly/Ovette technique. His move always looked a little too studied and deliberate for my tastes.

I agree. I have been fiddling with the Ackerman Varies Kelly recently. I've decided I'm just going to stick with the original Kelly Bottom Placement.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2019, jaschris wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

I agree. I have been fiddling with the Ackerman Varies Kelly recently. I've decided I'm just going to stick with the original Kelly Bottom Placement.

I'd implore you to consider another option. I'm not saying it never happens, but I RARELY see anybody do the Kelly Bottom Replacement convincingly. Then again, I also don't sit around watching other magicians all day - tho I wish I could!

I completely agree with Rupert: As written in Ackerman's original description of Ackerman Varies Kelly (in "The Esoterist"), it's a bit "too studied" and definitely sacrifices the expediency of the KBR. However, here are a few tips (that I use) to make the move a bit more "loose", less studied, and more expeditious than the original handling:

Assuming you're getting a spectator to peek a card, fairly dribble the cards from one hand to the other allowing the spectator to fairly call stop (instead of riffling down the deck with your thumb). In Ackerman's effect Face-Lift taught in Paul Harris's AoA Vol. 2, the selection is also noted by riffling the thumb down the side of the deck. For whatever reason, I just feel like riffling the deck with your thumb instead of dribbling the cards detracts away from the fairness of this particular sleight. Nonetheless - BEFORE beginning the dribble, position your hands in preparation to execute Ackerman Varies Kelly; meaning, your thumb at the back of the deck and your fingers at the front-end of the deck will likely need to be much farther to the right than how you usually dribble the deck. Repositioning your fingers between the dribble and the display of the card is a giveaway that something is about to happen. Personally, I position my ring finger on the outer-right corner of the deck and my middle finger directly beside it. I think the original handling also uses the pinky for front-concealment and to do the dirty work. I've found this to be overkill if you get your angles and finger placements correct.

As I lift the pack to show the card to be remembered, my other ringer finger is already being lifted to "point at" the card to be remembered. From this point, it's much easier to execute the move a bit more openly and comfortably. These minor tweaks are SUPER small: using 2 fingers in front of the deck instead of 3, dribbling the cards instead of riffling your thumb down the side of the deck, getting your ring finger in position to "point to" the selected card at the moment the card becomes visible to the spectator. But these small tweaks (for me) make the move a little less studied, more fair, and less cumbersome to execute.

Extra tidbit of info: I've seen a few people use Ackerman Varies Kelly and repeatedly forget that it's easy to accidentally cover the lower index of the card since it's naturally exactly where you want to point. Be careful about that.

Hope this helps a little...

AsL
jaschris
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of jaschris
ASL. I appreciate your thoughtful response on this. I will consider these points.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Good finesses, AsL. I should clarify that my post shouldn't be taken as a tacit endorsement of the KO move or any variants thereof. As I said before, I have yet to see any that look or feel better than a good Convincing Control.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Both Harvey Rosenthal's and Jack Birnman's variations of the Ackerman varies Kelly move eliminate the need to "point" to the stopped at card, thereby streamlining the process of side jogging the selected card. Also, with their variations, you can to choose to out jog a card or not. If you choose not to, it can be done just as fast as a Kelly bottom placement.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, NicholasD wrote:
Both Harvey Rosenthal's and Jack Birnman's variations of the Ackerman varies Kelly move eliminate the need to "point" to the stopped at card, thereby streamlining the process of side jogging the selected card. Also, with their variations, you can to choose to out jog a card or not. If you choose not to, it can be done just as fast as a Kelly bottom placement.

Thanks for sharing, Nicholas!

Birnman's variation hasn't been published, and Rosenthal's variation only seems to be found in the hard-to-find and massive Epilogue (or original 24+ magazine issues). Nonetheless, it's definitely good info to know. Besides what I may have come across (and forgotten about) in my hardcover editions of The Paulbearer's Review, I'm not familiar with Rosenthal's work. A quick Café (and google!) search shows he clearly had quite a few little-known gems. Although I wish I could say otherwise, it's simply not reasonable to add any more massive books to my collection at the moment - no matter how many gems they contain. I'll probably get lucky and come across the 10th issue of Epilogue at my local used bookstore Smile Smile

AsL
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Good finesses, AsL. I should clarify that my post shouldn't be taken as a tacit endorsement of the KO move or any variants thereof. As I said before, I have yet to see any that look or feel better than a good Convincing Control.

I hope Ernest Earick's one-handed Convincing Control ranks somewhere up there. It's about as fair, open, natural, and easy as it gets (after much practice) Smile
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Oh yes! I think it's hard to beat Dan and Dave's DMB technique. But Earick is certainly a close second.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I'm looking for the name of this move. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL