The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » "Farewell"-themed trick for a colleague (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Hello everyone,

I was chosen to give a speech that serves as praise for a colleague (and good friend) who is leaving the department in my university. I didn't want to just give an old "He was great, and we'll miss him" speech, and thought this might be a good time for a magic trick. I had done a magic effect (Cataclysm) for a student orientation in June (a massive hit, by the way), and so pulling out a magic trick won't be so bizarre. Does anyone have an idea for a "you were great, and we'll miss you" theme that can be applied to an effect?

A few points I need to consider:

-I'm not sure if there will be a stage, so I'm assuming I'll be on floor-level with everyone else (I'm short!), and may be surrounded;
-probably 40-50 guests;
-English is the second language for at least half of the guests;
-guests will be drinking and chatting, so it'll be a relaxed environment;
-time is not an issue;
-I won't be able to use a table, so something in the hands for all to see; and
-I have a month to prepare (although ideas would be helpful for future situations, and hopefully useful to other readers).

Some thoughts:

-I thought Blank Night might be good, and I could put a goodbye card or his "final paycheck" in the last envelope, but I would need to replace "SEX" with something else. Smile
-I also thought the ol' "3 1/2 of Clubs" would be funny if presented as a bet ("If I win, you have to stay in the department.") I have a jumbo card so I could pull it out of my jacket pocket and everyone would be able to see the revelation.
-I have Ton Onosaka's "Lucky Lady" routine, which comes with a great prop, but I haven't been able to work in the "farewell" angle. Also, it would be difficult if surrounded.
-I also have Onosaka's "Tonte" (his version of 3-card monte), but, again, I can't think of a "farewell" angle other than the "bet" idea mentioned above.
-Amazebox would be a interesting prop to bring (I have the original, so I think it can only hold 30ish billets, if I'm not mistaken), but what should I ask them to write that is related to the farewell? Also, it's a close-knit group, so they would be able to talk about their answers after the effect.

what do you think of these ideas? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

D.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I don't know if this event has come to pass already but an idea that has come to my mind is a T&R ticket style variant.

Take a number of slips for each letter of the word farewell and place them in your compartment for them to be switched in with the Amazebox. Have a heap more slips that are blank ready for your audience to write on them. Also have four strips of paper with the words "ale", "Flee", "Welfare". These are anagrams of the word "farewell" which will be your last and final strip. Have all four strips in the secret compartment organised in a fashion so you know where each is located when you put your hand in the box and place the eight slips in the same compartment.

Premise your performance on how you agonised how to give your colleague a royal send off so you thought it might be best to create something on the spot by magic. Have a number of audience members take a slip and write a letter of the alphabet on it and have it dropped in the box. Take the box back open the box switching in your slips and strips.

Take three random letters out and finger palm the "ale" strip well reading each slip as L, E, A (misreading if need be). Hold the slips together do your magic mumbo jumbo and switch in the "ale" strip. Now, where you choose to go at this point is completely up to you, you could magically produce his/her favourite alcoholic drink or tell a funny anecdote about him/her at the local pub, social or work occasion etc. The choice is yours.

Tear up the "ale" slip into separate letters and place them in a clear glass bowl, then put your hand into the box again, this time removing two slips, this time miscalling them as F and E well finger palming the "Flee" strip. Take the L and E slips out of the glass bowl butting them together with the other two. Like before place the slips together and do your mumbo jumbo and switch in the "flee" strip revealing the slips binding together to form the word "Flee". Tell an embarrassing or funny anecdote that may insinuate that your colleague is leaving due to embarrassment rather than for the reasons they sight.

Continue the same above process for the "welfare" strip then magically producing his/her paycheck then repeat the process a final time revealing the "farewell" strip ending on a genuinely sincere note.

Chop and change the above as you see fit for your purposes or use it for inspiration for something else. I hope it helps either way.

Magically

Aus
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, Aus wrote:
I don't know if this event has come to pass already but an idea that has come to my mind is a T&R ticket style variant.

Take a number of slips for each letter of the word farewell and place them in your compartment for them to be switched in with the Amazebox. Have a heap more slips that are blank ready for your audience to write on them. Also have four strips of paper with the words "ale", "Flee", "Welfare". These are anagrams of the word "farewell" which will be your last and final strip. Have all four strips in the secret compartment organised in a fashion so you know where each is located when you put your hand in the box and place the eight slips in the same compartment.

Premise your performance on how you agonised how to give your colleague a royal send off so you thought it might be best to create something on the spot by magic. Have a number of audience members take a slip and write a letter of the alphabet on it and have it dropped in the box. Take the box back open the box switching in your slips and strips.

Take three random letters out and finger palm the "ale" strip well reading each slip as L, E, A (misreading if need be). Hold the slips together do your magic mumbo jumbo and switch in the "ale" strip. Now, where you choose to go at this point is completely up to you, you could magically produce his/her favourite alcoholic drink or tell a funny anecdote about him/her at the local pub, social or work occasion etc. The choice is yours.

Tear up the "ale" slip into separate letters and place them in a clear glass bowl, then put your hand into the box again, this time removing two slips, this time miscalling them as F and E well finger palming the "Flee" strip. Take the L and E slips out of the glass bowl butting them together with the other two. Like before place the slips together and do your mumbo jumbo and switch in the "flee" strip revealing the slips binding together to form the word "Flee". Tell an embarrassing or funny anecdote that may insinuate that your colleague is leaving due to embarrassment rather than for the reasons they sight.

Continue the same above process for the "welfare" strip then magically producing his/her paycheck then repeat the process a final time revealing the "farewell" strip ending on a genuinely sincere note.

Chop and change the above as you see fit for your purposes or use it for inspiration for something else. I hope it helps either way.

Magically

Aus

Aus,

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your idea. I thought I would receive a lot of suggestions from the MC community, but I guess my post didn't spark enough attention. That's on me, not anyone else. Regardless, thank you.

I couldn't decide on an effect, and ended up just doing a boring goodbye speech. Everyone was disappointed because they were expecting a magic trick, so I felt bad that I didn't even do the 3 1/2 trick.

I love the idea you suggested, and will definitely keep this in mind for future performances. There are actually four more professors leaving the department after this year, so I'll have another opportunity to perform this effect.

Thank you again for your kind suggestion. It was very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

D.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Write his name on a card and make it jump out of the box then vanish.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2019, bluejay17! wrote:
Write his name on a card and make it jump out of the box then vanish.

Hi bluejay,

Thank you for your comment. I'm not sure what you mean by this, though, as it is pretty vague.

D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » "Farewell"-themed trick for a colleague (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL