The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Whistling sound effect without a whistle?? but no electronics (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

Not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a way to make an amusing sound effect to go with David Solomon's (I think) trick, "Jacks in the Box," which I found on one of Liam Montier's Elmsley Count Project disks. At one point the two black jacks mysteriously appear to have leaped from inside the card box and into the magi's hand. (We don't see it happening.) I thought it would be fun to precede the leap with a sound effect -- maybe the sort of thing one could do with a slide whistle. But I want to make the sound with a noisemaker in my hand while my hand is under the table so that it won't be quite obvious what I'm doing.

Any ideas? I've checked on-line for party favors, squeaky doll toys, etc., and nothing seems to quite fit the bill.

Thanks for your help!

Bob
StevieP
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of StevieP
How about a Swazzle? (Think Punch and Judy)
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Interesting -- thanks, Stevie! I've seen P. and J. shows (of course), but have never heard of a Swazzle. I'll look into it.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Just looked up Swazzle - lots of fun, interesting historical info, so I'm glad to have learned the term. I need something I can hold in my hand, though, not put in my mouth. Maybe a swazzle hooked up to rubber bulb that can be squeezed to create the air flow?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Press foot on bulb Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Interesting idea -- thanks, Larry.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I thought of a solution so simple that I can't believe I didn't think of it before -- a bicycle horn! (Maybe equipped with a mute of some kind to protect audience from sudden levitation.) Something about your idea, Larry, and maybe your beautiful red tongue, triggered the thought.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Tom Burgoon utilizes a Swiss Warbler to great effect.
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
A warbler reed works great
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I couldn't find any info about warbler reeds, Nekk. Can you tell me anything about them? Again, I'm looking for something I can hold in my hand, not something that goes in my mouth.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
There’s a free app for your phone called Fun Sound Effects & Noises (by iGreenEarth). Among other sounds, it has six whistle sounds, including a slide up and a slide down. The whistle screen has six large buttons on it, any of which would be easy to activate with one hand without looking at the phone.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
It would be funny to use MaxfieldsMagic's idea but"accidentally" hit the wrong button and get a funny sound, then say whoops and hit the right one.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
To Mike and Maxfield's magic:

Thanks, Mike. You have a good sense of humor. I haven't forgotten your idea, relative to my Sherlock Holmes take on the Biddle Trick, in which Watson finds a footprint (a foot-shaped card that matches the selection). You may or may not remember that you said, "Don't forget about 'The game's afoot' " ! I'm still waiting for inspiration for the rest of the story while I work on the biddle steal.

I also thought about buying a slide whistle or something similar, and making the sound openly -- and then saying, as if bewildered, "Hey, did you hear that? That must have been the jacks popping out of the box."

MaxfieldsMagic, So far I haven't found the Fun Sounds Effects that you mentioned. If there's a URL you could give me without much trouble, I'd be grateful.

See you, guys.

Bob
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Fun Sound Effects and Noises is at:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fun-sound-......32755400
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
There are very cheap bird whistles you can keep hidden in your mouth all the time (they are very slim and flat) and reposition them if you need them. I know from Philipe Socrate´s lecture notes, very easy to do, no electronics etc.

All the best,

Axel
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, imgic and Axel. Axel, do you know of a place where I can buy whistles of the type that you like?

Best Regards,

Bob
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Nice. Did you listen to the guy demonstrating the whistle? Very funny!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Whistling sound effect without a whistle?? but no electronics (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL