The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Penguin Live - Anthony Owen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nigel Quinn
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
118 Posts

Profile of Nigel Quinn
Penguin Live, with Anthony Owen, is an excellent insight into one of the greatest minds in magic. The live also makes for a great accompaniment to Anthony's also excellent book, Secrets. Five stars ***** http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10866
Q U I N
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Was anxiously awaiting this one. Unfortunately, it was a big let down. The act was very short. 4 tricks. Under 15 min. Not a problem if the material was killer. Unfortunately, it was not. Lotto trick was the best. His original mechanical method. Good if you don’t want to give away the ticket. His card at any number was odd. Didn’t work in the live performance. He did it a different way in the explanation. Not sure why he didn’t do it that way in performance. Regardless, there are much better versions. The third routine was pretty much a throwaway. Basically a 1 in 5 prediction. Worked but seemed like it was thrown in just to fill time. Final routine was a magazine test. Better than the third routine but again, there are better and more entertaining versions.

Overall, very disappointing. With the amount of killer material at his disposal, not sure why he would have chosen these routines (other than the lotto)
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Was very disappointing. I expected more from someone with his supposed reputation.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Audience sounded like they fell asleep. It really seemed like he just threw 4 routines together for this lecture. There really wasn’t a presentation/story to any of the routines.
Nevets
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Nevets
He got the card with the number on the back completely wrong! Did anyone else spot that? The card was meant to be the 2 of hearts but he showed the 2 of diamonds. Do I win a prize?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Yeah. Odd. The audience was confused. If you watch the explanation, he does it a different way. When he deals to the number, the card is incorrect. He then goes through the deck to find the correct card and then later shows that it has the correct number on the back. Just a confusing version all around.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I think the old lecture format was much better at least you got value for money with the new format surely the price should be reduced.
Nevets
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Nevets
I agree that individual lectures are too expensive given the new format but the subscription package is still great value for money.
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, Nevets wrote:
I agree that individual lectures are too expensive given the new format but the subscription package is still great value for money.

Depends upon the ACT. I thought the Jon Armstrong ACT routine was excellent and it was over three hours long (similar in length to many of the old format). It had lots of discussion on why he made the decisions he did. Definitely recommended!

I haven't watched the Anthony Owen one yet, so I can't comment on that one.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It seems many on the Café equate long (3, 4+ hours) with value. I'd much rather see 75 or 90 minutes to "A Level" content, than hours of babble where you have to pluck out the gems.

I think it always hilarious to see how they try to find the balance of trying to give some decent content while not tipping their best personal material.

Also, it is interesting to see how many are so poor in the interview segment as compared to their performance materials.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Jan Forster really did set a standard for lectures. I would like to see Anthony do a sequel and really deliver the goods.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
I think with the news of the sad passing of Anthony, this thread should be removed or locked as a mark of respect.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Removed, no. Locked, absolutely.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Why? It's sad what happened. Just because someone dies that doesn't make it taboo to discuss their material. Deifying people is wrong. We're all human beings.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I’ve been listening to The Magician’s podcast, Anthony’s segment as well as Andy Nyman and Marc Paul who have mentioned him. How did he pass?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Penguin Live - Anthony Owen (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL