The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Cover The Spot Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hustler2014
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Hustler2014
I have just picked up Ian Kendall's 'Cover The Spot' set from Penguin, and I was just wondering if anyone uses this and what sort of routine they use...I am thinking about using it as the game itself, but with a magical twist/mentalism type of kicker ending, by using markings on the discs and a final prediction type of ending as to how they laid the discs down...

Thanks in advance for any further ideas anyone might have!
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Personally, I could never get "to grips" with this.
I have found that, even knowing the solution, it is near impossible to perform 100 per cent.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
To be honest, I use it mostly in a Bunco Booth type situation, so the presentation is very much as a game. It's not something that lends itself well to magic effects; much like when someone tries to tag an effect onto the end of a monte routine, the result is often less than the sum of parts.

I've heard of a few things that people have used the sets for. I know one is being used by a crossroader in the midwest, someone else bought half a dozen sets, and leaves them out as a preshow entertainment. Because they are waterproof, they lend themselves well to casual bar bets (as long as you clear that with the bar manager first, natch).

With most gambling/gaming type things (mucks, dice switches and the like), I found that these are useful at the end of gigs - that time at the end of the evening when you have finished all your tables, and you can spend some time talking to people, and maybe doing to more involved, or longer routines for the really interested folk. This is a good time to bring out something like the Spot; you can explain the game, and then just spend the next ten minutes narrating what people are doing. It's surprisingly fun, especially when the whole table wants to have a shot Smile

Wulfie; when I'm up to speed, I can get close to every time (If I were to pluck an imaginary number out of my head, I'd go for a solid 95%). I honestly cannot remember if I covered this in the lesson (because I made it so long ago), but there are strategies to correct if you see that you are going to make an error. As long as you get the first two discs in the right place (and that's mainly on the first one), it's a lot easier. If you are having problems, I would bet that it's the first drop that is getting you.

I'm not here much anymore, but feel free to reach out to me on email if you would like to discuss more.
BiggieCheeze
View Profile
New user
Dallas
11 Posts

Profile of BiggieCheeze
I have a set. My biggest problem is keeping them flat. I would like to have a smaller version for table top /bar situations
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2019, BiggieCheeze wrote:
I have a set. My biggest problem is keeping them flat. I would like to have a smaller version for table top /bar situations

I keep mine in a modified DVD case. I cut/break off the prongs that hold the DVD and then the set fits in nicely. Or use one of the ones that opens like a clam.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Cover The Spot Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL