The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Masterclass? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Wondering if this holds any interest for the posters here. Daniel Negreanu teaches poker masterclasses on video.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/dani......es-poker
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
As much as I like Negreanu as a tournament player, he's an even better cash player.
BUT ... as with "all things poker", there's a pretty good chance you'll find everything he proposes to teach you in Sklansky's Theory of Poker.

It's only a personal opinion, but ToP is really the only thing you'll ever need in terms of poker instruction.
I guess understanding Doyle Brunson's original theory(s) from back in the day can't hurt either (the power of small suited connectors et all), but Brunson's style of play is pretty commonplace these days. It's a long way from the days when Brunson was the only guy at the table who knew how to kick major butt.

As for trying to instruct somebody on identifying tells, it's (again) just a personal opinion, but I don't believe such instruction is possible ... I believe that picking up tells is something one acquires only through personal experience and actual play.

I'd defintely watch Negreanu's masterclass videos out of interest, but it's not something I'd pay for.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks. I'd definitely watch Negreanu's masterclass videos also if only because is think he is cool. It has been ages since I read and watched Caro's work on Tells but I think they improved my game.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Wonder how he will stack up against DOC Smile
Long Island,

New York
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2018, tommy wrote:
..... It has been ages since I read and watched Caro's work on Tells but I think they improved my game.

I read, and re-read Caro's book Tommy, and for the life of me I couldn't get anything at all out of it that wasn't simply common sense.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
happy003
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of happy003
I bought the class a little while ago. It’s not bad. Daniel is like Jason England, you could listen to teach for hours on end and never get bored.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, Caro's work on Tells is perhaps based on his experience as opposed to logic and I have seen the same tells in play and I get what he is talking about.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
happy003
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of happy003
The game has evolved well beyond Caro’s . Back then game was about the two cards you have vs what your opponent has. That is not the way the game is played now.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The cash game of choice here is Omaha 4,5 or 6 card dealers choice but the comps are usually Hold'em.

Tommy
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
I subscribed to Masterclass initially for the Negreanu poker course (which is very good). I went for the full subscription (vs the single class) and am very glad I did as there are lots of other interesting topics and with the full pass they are all included. For example, I just went through the Penn and Teller course. Is somewhat basic but enjoyed listening to them and there were a few great nuggets (a couple of great lessons where together with Johhny Thompson they workshop with two performers including Piff the Magic Dragon).
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Phil Ivey is now doing a Master Class. Be interesting to compare and contrast the two.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On May 24, 2019, foolsnobody wrote:
Phil Ivey is now doing a Master Class. Be interesting to compare and contrast the two.

I guess the contrast would be that Daniel has written a book and explained a lot of his strategies in detail (likely shared again in detail with his online course), and Phil hasn't written a book (and likely won't ever), and probably won't be sharing any of his detailed strategies in his online course.

At the very least though, both players represent a style of play and advanced strategy that are "new" and fresh, unlike the worn out strategies of guys like Brunson and Hellmuth, purveyors of hackneyed strategies that even rank newbies can spot as soon as they're deployed.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Peterson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Peterson
Watching the trailer for a masterclass ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwc6ZF1z5s ) I was wondering about one particular branch of poker playing, which is - trying to see if the opponent is bluffing.

In the trailer it was shown ( and told ) that Ivey won over his opponent by seeing deception in his opponents reply to his question. I wounder if it is completely BS, because Ivy might do the same thing 10 times and the thing that was shown is his only successful attempt (highlight), which means it leads Ivey (and people who watch the trailer) to believe that he is a master at detecting deception, which he is not.

Overall we see poker players telling about how to spot lies and how to see this and that and I am really curious how probable this strategy is? Is it a waste of time?

We know that there are AI algorithms that can beat pro players easily and with little fail ( big reveal AI does not care about the person ).

Obviously, tracking persons betting behavior is a real thing. But looking into his/hers body language and analyzing the speech, in my opinion, is something not trustworthy. Can someone say more?

And I want to add that the medium of television and internet is really misinforming anybody on every topic, because we only see highlights. The same applies to poker and poker strategies. Is this a case of misinformation?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
I think staring at another players eyes, or asking them something in order to watch how they respond to it ... and then from that interaction trying to determine whether they're bluffing or not is simply a gut level "thing", really just a highly personal skill that's learned through thousands of hours sitting at a bricks and mortar poker table watching human behaviour up close.

I concluded long ago that you can't teach anybody "poker sense" ... they either have it, or they don't.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Explaining that gut-level "thing" and the thousands of hours it takes:

https://documentaryheaven.com/my-brillia......-genius/

He, who never looks for the number in anything, will not himself be looked for in the number of famous men as Socrates said.

Smile

Tommy
holdingoutflat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of holdingoutflat
Just FYI for everyone, Phil Ivey has also just released a masterclass
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, holdingoutflat wrote:

You don't say.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2018, Mr. Bones wrote:
As much as I like Negreanu as a tournament player, he's an even better cash player.
BUT ... as with "all things poker", there's a pretty good chance you'll find everything he proposes to teach you in Sklansky's Theory of Poker.

It's only a personal opinion, but ToP is really the only thing you'll ever need in terms of poker instruction.
I guess understanding Doyle Brunson's original theory(s) from back in the day can't hurt either (the power of small suited connectors et all), but Brunson's style of play is pretty commonplace these days. It's a long way from the days when Brunson was the only guy at the table who knew how to kick major butt.

As for trying to instruct somebody on identifying tells, it's (again) just a personal opinion, but I don't believe such instruction is possible ... I believe that picking up tells is something one acquires only through personal experience and actual play.

I'd defintely watch Negreanu's masterclass videos out of interest, but it's not something I'd pay for.

Bronson's Super System was a wonderful book. Sklansky is an engaging author and his book is great.

Poker is as much art as science. Poker tells are fine art. Mike Caro's book of tells is pretty good at some of them. But as much as it is art he can e plain it but in play it is a horse of a different color.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
holdingoutflat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of holdingoutflat
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:

You don't say.

It would seem to be that a masterclass with Phil Ivey would be an interesting spin on classic theory. So many compilations of him online playing...3-7 off suit as if they're pocket queens or something
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, holdingoutflat wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:

You don't say.

It would seem to be that a masterclass with Phil Ivey would be an interesting spin on classic theory. So many compilations of him online playing...3-7 off suit as if they're pocket queens or something

I'm waiting for Daniel Negreanu to do a masterclass.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Masterclass? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL