The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mental Ropes (Davenport's/Steven's Magic) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Hello.

I have a question about this prop, that I'd thought I'd ask here. (I wrote to Steven's Magic, and never received a reply).

The ad description states:
-----------------------------------------------------
You show a brightly-colored wooden box, in which lies five different brightly-colored ropes.

Both ends of each rope dangle outside both sides of the box.

A magic wand (or similar such device), is placed cross-sectionally inside the box across from the ropes.

The ends of the wand are thus sticking out of the box in full view at all times.

To prevent interference, a lid is placed on top of the box covering the ropes and wand.
-------------------------------------------------------

The Demo Videos all show that the LID is already on the box, before the effect begins (and before the spectator is given the chance to view the interior of the box).

My question is: Can the interior of the box (with the ropes inside) be first shown to the audience...and then the lid is placed on the box? (as the Steven's ad suggests).

Thanks in advance.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
No
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Thanks, Dragonash.

Then, the Steven's ad description is deceptive (in my opinion), and yet another reason why magicians are leery of such "written word" ads - and insist on seeing a demo video before buying.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The manufacturer supplies the ad copy, and photos to the retail store. Stevens only agrees to list and sell the item for the manufacturer. In most cases, the do not even see the prop or effect they are selling. As most buyers do not want opened previously merchandise. If the manufacturer does not provide a video, then none is given. In some cases where the retailer commissions a manufacturer to make a prop for the retailer, exclusively for them, it is there decision to provide a photo, description, and video.

Moxahalla, your example is not very good for you conclusion, as the ad says, the box contains ropes and a wand. So taking that this was the contents of the box. There is no reason to over prove the box is empty, and only contained those items. Secondly, maybe no one thought as you have, and want to over prove every step of the routine.

Beginner magic like Royal Magic and Empire Magic market such magic effects that can be fully examined, but as one gains experience and becoming a magician, they learn how to overcome any shortcomings an effect may have.

An example of this would be, every time you wish to present a magic effect, you must totally undress and let the audience inspect your clothing, shoes and your body cavities along with the props. Then you may present your effect standing on a box or chair in the middle of a room or field.

I hate to inform you of this, but there is no such thing (as of yet) as real magic. It is all an illusion, and the abilities of the person presenting the effect (s).

You also for some reason did not ask if ropes could be shown freely, or the wand, and why is the box brightly colored. What other powers, if any does the wand have. Can they be demonstrated before hand.

I would think you know all this, as the fake name you have chosen, "Maxahalla" by U.F. Grant is one of the most deceptive description of a stage effect ever offered the magic community. Nothing can be shown as you have suggested, and yet it is a great effect when presented correctly.

It may be just a little judgmental of you, to accuse Stevens Magic as being deceptive, just because you thought of something that was not addressed in the advertisement.

It is very difficult for magic dealers to know everything about the hundreds and thousands of magic tricks they sell. Many times they have not even seen the effect they are selling, because of the current trend using drop shipping, or shipper retaining the inventory in their warehouse, for faster packaging and mailing. Gone are the days of a magic shop owner knowing and demonstrating their products in the show cases.

Back on the 1940's to 1980's, there was maybe only 10 new tricks a year, not there are closer to hundreds new tricks every month, they barely have time to enter them in their inventory, much less actually see the item and props.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good insights Bill. Thank you.

I would also add that Stevens is one of the most reputable magic dealers out there. They tend to only stock quality props from reputable makers, and stand by their products. I buy quite a bit of magic, but stick to a handful of dealers. Stevens is one of them. More than once have I picked up the phone and talked to Joe or Mark to have a frank discussion about a prop. Not every dealer does that. And, they are one of the few sites that will list when a product is out of stock to avoid the dreaded "on back order," which has haunted the magic industry for decades.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Great post Bill and well said.
Tricky Ricky
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Bill
You bring wisdom and dignity to this forum.
Thank you.
Al
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Great posts guys.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I disagree with Bill.

The ad copy is, in my view, accidentally duplicitous at best and deliberately misleading at worst. However there are videos of this trick being performed that accompany the advert and the fact that the initial state of the inside of the box isn't shown gives an implied indication that it can't be, otherwise it would. I feel lets the advertising copy off the hook.

But the question asked by the OP is a valid one as the answer to the question drastically changes the strength of the effect.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Neal, as someone that works so hard on presenting your effects, I would say your comments are very surprising to me. Note, your hard work on the Linking Coat hangers you posted a while back.

Watching the video demo, I believe I figured out the working of the effect. Nice mental effect with a simple working that has not been used previously in magic, except in this effect.

I think I would chuckle every time I pulled the ropes out. This should be presented as shown, keep the effect moving along, and quick patter to get the finale.

I like effects that are fun to perform, I think this is one that would be easy and fun to present. And, the price is reasonable.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Sorry Bill, I wasn't disagreeing with all that you wrote in your post. Your post does indeed have merit and I guess I should have said so and been more specific.

The bit I was disagreeing about was simply the that the ad copy could be taken to mean that the wand can be placed into the box as part of the performance... and that if this was possible (which it isn't) the magical content of the effect would be substantially, to my mind, different and stronger.

'Over proving' and 'running when not being chased' are mistakes often made by magicians. But recognising an effect's inherent weaknesses/compromises (which in this case is; that it starts with a stated or implied set up that is hidden from view) and asking, as the OP did, if this is a requirement of the effect seems to me to be quite understandable and warranted.

And by way of a PS; I am still working on the Hangers! They are getting tried out in my show more and more often but I still don't feel I've got past presenting them as any more than 'a trick'. Albeit a trick that is both magical and surprising. But at some point I'm hoping the routine will include more of me and my character within it but that, as yet, is still, for the major part, continuing to elude me.Smile
Neal Austin

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As I read Moxahalla, I read his post as, I want to know the secret working and set up, before I consider purchasing the prop.

Those day are gone, and is an insult to ask for such a reveal. Of course, he has the right to travel to Wichita Kansas, and personally view, and he may be given that information to finalize his purchase of the effect.

I can see this effect being made smaller by one of those computer duplicator computer driven machines. This could be a nice beginner close-up effect, maybe Fun Inc. or Empire Magic should do so.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Bill I agree that deciding if someone is 'fishing' for the secret, either directly or via a process of elimination, or whether they have an innocent enquiry about a product is never easy to distinguish. Magicians helping magicians is one thing, revealing methods directly, or by elimination, is another matter entirely. It's always a hard judgement call to make.

In this case I didn't get any hint at all that Moxahalla was looking for the secret working or set up. Indeed answering the question as 'dragonash' did by simply saying, 'No', doesn't leave one any the wiser to the method than if one watched the video of the demonstration.

From my perspective the OP's question was warranted and reasonable because the ad copy was, in my opinion, written in such a way that it was on the cusp of being misleading and certainly open to misinterpretation.
Neal Austin

equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Neal, as someone that works so hard on presenting your effects, I would say your comments are very surprising to me. Note, your hard work on the Linking Coat hangers you posted a while back.

Watching the video demo, I believe I figured out the working of the effect. Nice mental effect with a simple working that has not been used previously in magic, except in this effect.

I think I would chuckle every time I pulled the ropes out. This should be presented as shown, keep the effect moving along, and quick patter to get the finale.

I like effects that are fun to perform, I think this is one that would be easy and fun to present. And, the price is reasonable.

Bill, I would never contradict you, but there is a similar effect (may be a different modus operandi) in “Magic From Holland.” The book was published in 1964. The effect is called “A Colorful Mentalism” by Ravellie. The effect uses for white envelopes and four different colored silks. Packs flat and plays big.
http://www.stevebeam.com/bruno-compiler-magic-from-holland/
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have this effect from Steven's, although I figured out the workings by watching their video performance I liked the looks of the box and thought the price was fair so Santa brought me one for Christmas. The effect is indeed baffling to a lay audience, my toughest critic is my wife whom I trust with her honest opinion, she was fooled. The written directions supplied do explain a method of removing the lid and physically inserting the wand into the box proper as the start of performance if you wish but this is not necessary in my view. Sometimes I think we over think things a bit.
Giannim
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Giannim
I’d like to know if this effect can be executed in a multistep phases alternating it with other effects ? Specifically, after that the first rope has been removed can the performer leave the box on the table, go forward with another effect and at the end of this second-effect-routine came back to the “Mental Ropes Box” ask to choose another rope to remove and so on ?
Thanks
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Yes it can be performed that way.
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
I also have this effect and have performed it up close and personal without any problems. I did think of the lid being on at first but have found after first rope is pulled no one even mentions it. Also the fact that spectator can change colors really seals the deal at least it has for me each time I show this neat effect. And yes I think we sometimes tend to over think things with too many what ifs etc.
I don't understand all I know about this
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mental Ropes (Davenport's/Steven's Magic) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL