The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is magic just a lie? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
johnw
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of johnw
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2022, johnw wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:
Lying is an essential life skill, and we should train our children how to do it correctly.

Teaching a 6 year old to do a simple trick (Imp bottle), I demoed the effect then showed her how it worked and how to perform it.
She said "well that's not magic then is it!"

Knowing magic isn't actually real was probably a good lesson in itself I suppose.

I don't see where her response indicated that "magic was not real" - only that what you showed her did not fit.

Sometimes we pretend at magic. Other times we use trickery to accentuate a magic truth. I see magic every day in life and applaud. Other stare at a tiny electronic screen - an artificial view.

Yet, I wear glasses to get a clearer view of things, well knowing that what I pretend to see is part imagination and part experience.

It is trick I can show anyone. What you see is not more or less real. What we see is not magic. That fact that we are both here to see and communicate about it, might be.

Perhaps even more so when the communication triggers emotion or empathy. I enjoyed reading your comment, and it made me smile Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It's a pretty garbage take to say that "magic is just a lie". You might as well say that all fiction is a lie. All metaphors are a lie. Similes & allusions? ...All lies.

But if you want to look at it in such a dismal way, it's not entirely incorrect, either.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
All magic is a lie. What is the problem?

Santa Claus is a lie. So?

Magic is a celebration of lying.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Danny on Page One of this thread put it well that you are presenting theater. With that also comes imagination and illusion. An intriguing way to open with a routine is to say, "What if...?"
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Here's a wonderful thing about art: we each get to choose the language we use to define what we do. I do not think magic is by definition a celebration of lying, any more than film is a celebration of lying. Film creates the sense of motion by showing still images in sequence at 24 frames per second. Is this a lie? No, it's a simulation, a representation, just like a cave painting or a sculpture, a board game, a stage play, a TV show, a comic book, or a magic trick is a representation. To assert that there is no other way of looking at, thinking about, or defining magic beyond lying is, well, silly and needlessly confining. Sure, magic can be about lying. But MUST it be about lying? Must it ONLY be about lying and nothing else? Of course not. There are many ways to think about this art form. I choose to look at and define it in ways that present wider vistas to explore and contemplate. To me, magic is simulated impossibility. It is a representation of things that are impossible according to the rules of the everyday world. It's not lying, it's pretend, it's make-believe — a directed act of creative imagination. Choose your own adventure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is magic just a lie? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL