The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Introducing yourself (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Hello to everyone,

Performing for a total stranger is a new world for me that I would like to try,
How do you introduce yourself to a total stranger? (not in a what I would call a comfortable setting like a restourant or a social meeting)

Any info will be appreciated
Best wishes,
Cristóbal
walidosama
View Profile
Regular user
algeria
107 Posts

Profile of walidosama
Just go to them and say 'hi am-yourName- I do magic would you like to see a magic trick ??'
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
That could be one way...
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2019, weirdwizardx wrote:
That could be one way...

How old are you Weirdy? 🙂 that plys a roll. 👌
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Hi,

I like Tommy Wonder’s advice on this subject. Give them a little display of something magical. If they seem interested follow up with a full routine. If they keep walking or ignore you, you know they are not.

Eldini
Scorpio91
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Scorpio91
If I am on the street busking then I will play around with throwing and catching cards. Or doing something flashy to catch their attention. This creates the possibility that they will approach you.
akashdeep617
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of akashdeep617
Just go with a deck of cards in your hand and just say "PICK A CARD " . And trust me they won't say no. As when you ask them if you could show them magic you give them an out but by just telling them to do something they won't think much and will just pick the card unless or until they are really in a hurry and need to go. If you want to get a more detailed help of certain situations you can PM me I would be happy to help.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2019, walidosama wrote:
Just go to them and say 'hi am-yourName- I do magic would you like to see a magic trick ??'

Not really the best way to start... You should really never give them the option to say "no". Would be pretty discouraging if you got 4-7 in a row to be "no"
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
Just be yourself. I find the least success when I try and be someone I am not.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
A magician once told me that magic is a gift for people. Most people don't ever get to see magic up close and in front of them. That feeling that I'm giving someone the gift of magic helps me get over any fears and nervousness when approaching a stranger.

If you are just getting started, the easiest way is while you are standing in a long line. Ask someone next to you, politely and with confidence, if they want to see some magic. It can be as simple as "Hey, you want to see a trick?" Or "Hey, can I show you a magic trick I'm working on, I need the practice." Sure, they might say no. If they do say no, just smile and say some other time then. But standing in line is boring and a trick is more exciting than that, so no rarely happens. Especially if you seemed confident when you asked.

To help build confidence, start with a trick that you have practiced, rehearsed and feel comfortable performing. Don't do a long trick - you don't want to hold up the line. Look at each performance as a learning experience. Good luck! You got this.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
In my experience, if you ask people if they would like to see a magic trick, 9 out of 10 will say no. They're too busy (even when they're obviously not). It's not what they are expecting, they don't know what will be asked of them, and their defences go right up.
Jolyon Jenkins
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
That's not been my experience. 90% of people I ask, say yes. So what do ya'll do if you don't ask people? Just assault them with magic? I mean I guess you could NOT approach people and NOT offer to show them magic. Of course, 100% of the time that has the same outcome of asking someone and being told no.
Cread
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
4 Posts

Profile of Cread
In my experience, the most important thing is to say you are a magician. It may sound obvious, but the word "Magician" seems to get people way more excited than if you said "Magic Trick". Magician just holds some power where people realize you are serious and probably good, while a magic trick could just be a bad pickup line.
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
I would say, don’t ask them if they’d like to see a magic trick because that doesn’t really catch their interest. Maybe say something like “would you like to try an experiment” while showing the deck of cards or whatever your prop is. It’s something different than just “would you like to see a magic trick”.
badwords
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of badwords
Some folks seem more concerned with getting people to watch their magic whether they really want to or not. This bothers me, personally. Everyone is going to have a better experience if they actually are interested in watching a magic trick. Respect peoples' time, and use yours wisely. Be honest and upfront.

Don't be afraid of 9 no's in a row. In my experience, that has more to do with location usually. In a busy shopping area in a dense city, people are usually busy doing something or going from A to B and don't have a moment to stop for a random person's trick. Respect that when you approach them. Be honest and tell them upfront you want to show them magic. If they say no, it's no big deal. Expect lots of no's in a place like this.

In other environments like a coffee shop, fast food place, bar, or whatever, just look out for bored people. Bored people are sitting in places like this all the time just staring into their phones. When I go out to perform, this is what I look for and I get a "yes" 90% of the time and they are usually enthusiastic. I almost always just approach with "Hi, I'm a magician and want to get some practice in. Can I show you something?" and I usually give people an opportunity to comfortably say no with something like, "if you don't have time, it's no problem." Don't be a menace. Let people say no if they want to. If you look for the right folks in the right place, they likely will say yes anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Introducing yourself (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL