The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Surefire way to make them stop, works out of your pockets (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheCardTrickGOD
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of TheCardTrickGOD
A lot of my knowledge on busking has come from this forum so I want to give back and share a way I found out how to make people stop. This may or may not work for you, when it doesn't work for me, I use other methods so it's always good to have backups. modify my method to your preference.

So basically I'm laying the rope out, setting things up, or just standing around and in scouting for people. I look for people who are walking at a slower pace, meandering, not in a rush. People who seem friendly and won't give me attitude.

I just say "hi, I need some help" they will slow down and stop but also seem to be pulled by some magnetic force towards the direction they were walking.

They'll say "yeah what's up"

I say "I'm starting a show I just need some fun people"

At this point they might say "hell yeah show me something" or look hesitant

Just say "want to see a trick?"

I know the number one rule, never ask, but at this point they've already stopped, they'll usually say "sure why not"

It's important to have a friendly personality, and smile, it will be harder for them to say no when they see you're a good person.

Works 9/10 times.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
That sounds interesting, the only thing I would not say is. Do you want to see a TRICK?
Anything but the word trick in my opinion is better.
I noticed on your video you had a hat on the ground.
There has been many discussions on this.
Leavening hat on the ground then people can watch part of the show drop a buck and walk away.
The idea is to have them watch the entire show do hat lines and stand still with your hat out and collect.
They can now look you in the eye and say thanks.
With the hat on the ground they are walking up and kinda bowing to you as they drop the money.
Nickoli
TheCardTrickGOD
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

I don't think all that stuff is really a big deal, it's better than saying some crap like "allow me to showcase an astonishing moment!"

That hat on the ground is done by cellini, sonny holiday and others. I only had a bucket on the ground since I had no idea whether people would stick around, sometimes they left and never tipped, with the bucket they always tipped and left.

Now I just do the flush, since I've purchased a hat and hold it out
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
OK,

Sounds like you have it all figured out.
Good luck
Nickoli
TheCardTrickGOD
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

I have nothing figured out. I'm just sharing my reasoning behind everything I do, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything.

The reason why I say "trick" is because that sounds more like I'll show them something quick, and it's direct. It's one trick and they decide if they like me and want to stick around.

You make a good point about the hat, sometimes I toss it on the ground because cellini did it and so do otherz
DavidMor
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DavidMor
I know nothing about Busking, but am interested in learning. The problem of how you get the first person to stop seems to be big. I noticed that veteran busker Gazzo recommends passively putting up a sign that says “See the world’s best card trick”; then waiting. Another veteran advises to quietly set up and do a coin levitation via IT; then waiting.

I am curious how mentalists get the first person to stop. Hard to be visual. Or, maybe mentalists do not do busking???

Any thoughts on getting the first person to stop?
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
One way to get a crowd is to use a TT and a streamer. Talk to one group. "Watch! This is going to disappear, but I don't know where it is going. On the count of ten. Watch!" Start counting backwards from ten. Find a passerby from a different group that is a distance away. "Sir! This streamer is going to jump from my hand into your hat! Watch!" Start counting again down from ten. Stop people from passing between you and the man with the hat so you have a direct line of sight and have created a disruption in the flow of foot traffic. The streamer disappears. You walk to the man with the hat. You walk from group to group to show your hands and the the hat are empty. You go to your table/focus spot and have a kid come up to you to hold the end of the streamer that you have pulled out of the hat. The kid stays stationary as you walk to the owner of the hat with the streamer pulling out as you go. Ditch the TT after you return the hat as you walk back to the kid. Start doing the next trick for the kid before you get there. Stop after ten seconds, tell the crowd to move up and form your edge, and go back to the trick as you broaden your focus from the kid to the rest of your crowd. Do manage your crowd so other people can still get by if you want to keep everyone happy and not ruin the pitch for other performers.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
I'd be interested in seeing a full uncut video of this. I have a feeling, it is not as effective as th eOP claims. of course, I may be wrong. Lets see if a video surfaces or at the very least some photos. The reason I'm interested in the video is because I don't believe this will build a substantial audience. I also believe that whoever stops, will quickly walk away before getting to the hat. Prove me wrong!
Illusionsfortheblind2
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Illusionsfortheblind2
It isn't very effective, but a good way to stop people it you don't want to stop people using magic.

The Eric evans method, use your personality.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
TheCardTrickGod.
Love the idea of asking for help. When they help you have the opportunity to deliver a soft hat line. 'thank you for your help, I believe if you do something nice for someone they should do something nice for you. Here watch this' At this point do a close up trick for this person's group. Gift magic would be a good idea. Say your going to do show and now build. If they go start again.

If they stay keep using that line they did something nice. I was nice and gave them that. At the end if something nice now you can do something nice!

This is a ruff sketch need a little work. Work it out make your own.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Surefire way to make them stop, works out of your pockets (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL