The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Books with lots of self working content? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
Here's a relevant excerpt from my article "Why You Should Try Self-Working Card Tricks, And Where To Learn Them" [link] which addresses this, and has some titles I'd recommend:

=========

If you're looking for a book full of self-working card tricks to explore, you can't do much better than Scarne on Card Tricks. It's an older title that has been reprinted by Dover in an inexpensive edition, and teaches 75 self-working tricks.

Also very cheap are several books by Karl Fulves, each of which is chock full of over 50 self-working card tricks. Although you may have to pick and choose, there are some gems to be found in the pages of the Fulves' books, including the terrific "Gemini Twins". Of his many titles, the three best ones are probably Self-Working Card Tricks, More Self-Working Card Tricks, and Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic.

You'll also find some good self-workers in the card magic books by Bob Longe. I can also recommend Garcia & Schindler's Magic With Cards, and used copies of this can be picked up very cheaply online. It has some terrific material for beginners, including Paul Curry's famous self-working miracle "Out Of This World", which some consider the best ever trick in card magic.

But my top choice is easily the set of three brilliant titles by Roberto Giobbi, entitled Card College Light, Card College Lighter, and Card College Lightest. Most magicians will recognize the titles as a play on his best-selling Card College course that teaches the fundamentals of card magic. This course also has a companion video series of the same name, which I can highly recommend as one of the best starting points for learning sleight of hand card magic. But the Card College Light books teach some of the best self-working magic you'll find anywhere, and unlike some of the older books mentioned above, they also tell you how to present them well, and routine them together.

To get an idea of Roberto Giobbi's work, I highly recommend getting his 150 page ebook Roberto Giobbi's Introduction to Card Magic [link], which includes half a dozen simpler self-workers.

I would not only recommend the Scarne book but also look into The Encyclopedia of Card Magic.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Tjs3000
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Tjs3000
How about Nick Trosts books? Maybe not entirely self working though?
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2021, Tjs3000 wrote:
How about Nick Trosts books? Maybe not entirely self working though?

He's more known for subtlety, rather than self-working magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Books with lots of self working content? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL