The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » The Denny Haney Book (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Here's a Vimeo link to a video where Scott Alexander reports on the progress of _Denny Haney: Collected Wisdom":
https://vimeo.com/490951324?mc_cid=13afc......6ff419fe

This tome is sure to be the Book of the Year!*
Scott reports that he expects that "Denny Haney: Collected Wisdom_ will ship on the "20th or 21st… More to news to come!"

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
*tome:(noun) a book, especially a large, heavy, scholarly one

For those who missed it, here's the link to Denny's guest appearance on The Magic Café discussing his life in magic:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=230
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
God bless Scott for doing this project and kudos to him for choosing to print and bind his book right here in the United States instead of China.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I just received an email from Aaron Fisher
entitled, "A message from Sigfried..."
Since he died yesterday and the mourning has only just begun, I opened it wondering if perhaps Seigfreid had some parting words of wisdom Aaron wanted to share with his subscribers or perhaps something to help us all heal or at least feel a little better.
When I opened it, I realized it was a Sigfreid quote praising denny haney to help sell the new book.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, Leo H wrote:
God bless Scott for doing this project and kudos to him for choosing to print and bind his book right here in the United States instead of China.

And selling it for 500$... that’s magic 😄
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Is it signed and/or numbered?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Made in the USA...as per Denny's request!

The Collectors Editions are sold out.

The regular book is $295 and there are some copies left. Limited run of 1000 copies only.

You know where to find me👍🏻
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2021, Scott Alexander wrote:
Made in the USA...as per Denny's request!

The Collectors Editions are sold out.

The regular book is $295 and there are some copies left. Limited run of 1000 copies only.

You know where to find me👍🏻

That's wonderful to know Denny wanted his book published right here in the United States! As opposed to other magic book publishers who prefer to print and bind their books in China to widen their profit margins. Greed is unbecoming.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Some are doing it to keep prices down rather than to boost margins. I doubt Richard Kaufman could have sold his Jennings book for $100 if he printed it in the US. I mean look at the price of Denny's book. It is nearly $300 for the standard edition. I suspect that is partly due to US printing.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2021, EvilClown wrote:
Some are doing it to keep prices down rather than to boost margins. I doubt Richard Kaufman could have sold his Jennings book for $100 if he printed it in the US. I mean look at the price of Denny's book. It is nearly $300 for the standard edition. I suspect that is partly due to US printing.

You're also getting a lot at 512 pages with some photos that are in color. Pretty much Denny's entire repertoire of close up, stage magic, and illusions. A professional magician's repertoire laid bare. And produced here in the United States to boot.

When Kaufman published Roth's Expert Coin Magic in 1985, the price was $80.00. Adjusted for inflation, $80.00 in 1985 is equal to $197.89 in 2021. The equivalent of publishing a magic book now and asking for $200.00. The numbers never lie.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

You are correct Leo. Denny wanted the book printed here in the US and had certain requests in terms of look and feel etc. He wanted it to lay flat when opened so you could really work and learn from it. That requires an expensive Smythe Sewn binding. Most books are glue bound which cracks over time and will not lay flat. Basically, this was about 4x more expensive to produce than most other magic books. The good part is the outside is just as great as what's on the inside. People who are writing me after receiving it all echo the same sentiments. "Denny's magic is preserved in a manner suiting his deep knowledge of, and love for the art of magic; and that he truly would be proud of it!" That's all that matters to me!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Hear, hear Scott! Dean Carnegie posted his review of your book:

https://www.themagicdetective.com/2021/0......07082296
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Received my Denny Book a few days ago and am loving it. It’s massive.

I’ve been browsing through and reading at random spots— I’m super excited about the stand-up magic section and the essays.

I’ve just now starting to read Denny’s biography, and it’s a fascinating story so far!

It’s a much more enjoyable read knowing how close Scott and Denny were.

Thanks Scott for passing on Denny’s story and knowledge...
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Thanks Tim! Even the bio has lessons to be learned. Plus there are some good laughs along the way. Enjoy!!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

JoshSchmid
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of JoshSchmid
Denny was a mentor to me for years. First magician I ever met when I was 11. He told me I had the fastest hands he ever saw on a kid. Truly a wonderful man. Hopefully I’ll be able to afford this book soon but I’m sure without even owning it that it’s a great read.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » The Denny Haney Book (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL