The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Holy Grail of Peek devices » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I absolutely get what you mean about special abilities, but if you have an unusual item like a blank deck of cards you are drawing the spectators attention to an unusual item. If you then use that unusual item to do something magical all focus will then be on the item. In any p**k effect the card, pad, wallet, railway ticket being written on should be inconsequential -it should be psychologically invisible. A blank deck of cards is the opposite of psychologically invisible. Eddie even mentioned this in his early promotion of the item. It should feel as if you write on the cards as they are the handiest thing available.

This is what has been happening as magicians start to use Mentalism effects in their acts. They understand the mechanics of the effects but, too often, many don't seem to grasp the deeper psychological principles, subtleties and convincers that have to be in play for the effects to be truly powerful and believable. I think that lies at the heart of a lot of disagreements here.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Great comments and insights. This has convinced me to only use the plastic case for storage and not for performance. Removing a deck of cards from a plastic case would appear to draw attention to the deck. Who carries around a deck of cards in a plastic case? Isn't that what the tuck case is for in the first place? The plastic case is used to protect the tuck case?

It's not unusual to have a deck of cards in pocket, even for a layman. While in the Navy it wasn't unusual to whip out a deck of cards on the spur of the moment for a quick game of hearts or spades during quiet interludes (e.g., sitting around in after steering for a few hours during maneuvering drills). I've been in other work situations where rolling games of hearts, spades, or gin rummy were pretty common.
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
84 Posts

Profile of raether
I ordered this a few days ago, and surprisingly received it in 2 days via the mail. The handmade quality is exceptional. The workings were not a surprise, but as Eddie mentions, years of trial and error has gone into the product. For me, what sells this device over others, is the casual handling of the deck and the cards. I had the fortune of seeing the video link from this thread labeled "peek device". But, had I just seen the performance without knowing a peek is involved, I would NEVER guess a peek is happening.

On a slightly different note, do not underestimate the impact this effect has on someone. I had the great fortune of attending a Richard Osterlind lecture where he did his C***r T**r on me. I 100% knew the mechanics of the trick, read his book on the subject, watched the Osterlind videos, but when he did it personally on me, I was blown away. When he did the revelation, it sent shivers down my spine. It wasn't the method, but rather his performing style and presentation that made it have such a large impact on me. I left his lecture convinced that he can read minds. Or, maybe I just love magic.

So, whether it is this device, one of the clever peek wallets, or other methods, use the ones that fit your performing style. I am happy to add this to my working arsenal. Thank you to Eddie for providing and sharing this with the magic community at such a reasonable cost.
Helmut Raether
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
An intelligent, balanced and insightful post, thanks, I'm ordering
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Again, my presentation allows me to justify the writing on a playing card with no issues at all.

A thought for those who would prefer the spectator write on a business card. You can still use the Peek Deck for your peek, and "they" still get to put the business card in the middle of the deck. If you can justify a deck of playing cards in your posession, I still believe "the middle" of a deck of playing cards creates a more convincing safe spot for their information than the "back" of a wallet.

Their rewind will be - "I put the information in the middle of a deck of cards" as opposed to "The magician put the information (or guided me to put the information) in the back of his wallet."

If you can convince them your wallet is a safe spot, how much safer would the middle of a deck of cards be.

They don't know your wallet. But they do know a normal looking deck of cards.

Just a thought - a business cards works as well as a playing card with this deck.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
"I don't do card tricks any more. I don't even know why I still carry this deck around. Just stick your business card in the middle here, face down, where I can't see it . . ."
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
When I said "if you can justify a deck of playing cards in your possession" I didn't mean you have to literally qualify your deck. What I meant was - If you're an entertainer - You "can" justify a deck of playing cards in your possession. It's not an abstract item for you to have with you, therefore the "middle" of a deck of playing cards in my opinion creates a much more convincing safe spot than the back of a wallet.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On May 7, 2021, threadman77 wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2021, Forza Azzurri wrote:
"I don't do card tricks any more. I don't even know why I still carry this deck around. Just stick your business card in the middle here, face down, where I can't see it . . ."

When I said "if you can justify a deck of playing cards in your possession" I didn't mean you have to literally qualify your deck. What I meant was - If you're an entertainer - You "can" justify a deck of playing cards in your possession. It's not an abstract item for you to have with you, therefore the "middle" of a deck of playing cards in my opinion creates a much more convincing safe spot than the back of a wallet.

You are spot on with your reply. My statement was more rhetorical than actual. In all honesty, I'll just pull out the deck (no plastic case) and direct them to put their business card in without comment.

For the record? Awesome product. I'm coming up with way too many ideas while familiarizing myself with it. Of course, they're not necessarily GOOD ideas (he said with a hint of self-deprecation), but that's more of a reflection on my own creativity and has nothing to do with this utility. Lots of very useful comments on how to use "The Peek Deck" in this thread.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Thanks Forza - appreciate the kind words.

This thing is really taking off in a lot of good direction. Like I've stated, This was a personal device I created for my own use which is a simple 2 number peek I needed for a magic square routine.

So many good ideas and uses are coming in including blank double sided card decks, blank face decks, business cards, and more.

I love the creative minds of magicians.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Sliding the box of cards into a Card box guard allows plenty of time to get your p***

Mark
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Wow, thanks Mark - that's a brilliant idea. Not only a natural place to return your deck to, but it is also adding another layer of convincing security. And you can very slowly and fairly show both sides of the deck in the guard and lay it on the table. I like it a lot.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Your welcome, glad you like it Smile
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On May 7, 2021, Martin Pulman wrote:

"I think writing on a blank faced deck is just adding an unusual item (blank playing cards) to unusual behaviour (writing on playing cards)."

An entertainer and their "stuff" should contain unusual items and unusual behavior! That's part of the draw isn't it?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

"I think writing on a blank faced deck is just adding an unusual item (blank playing cards) to unusual behaviour (writing on playing cards)."

An entertainer and their "stuff" should contain unusual items and unusual behavior! That's part of the draw isn't it?

Not if you want an audience to believe you may have read their mind, as opposed to read their handwriting.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
One possible explanation for using the cards is to say you have bought a set of cards for doodling on and you offer the spectator a card to create their own doodle.

Just a thought.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
Not if you want an audience to believe you may have read their mind, as opposed to read their handwriting.

If your audience is an engineer convention as opposed to a typical audience under your command.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
If your audience is an engineer convention as opposed to a typical audience under your command.

"Audiences are far from being as dumb as some performers seem to think."
Theodore Annemann
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
I wasn’t minimizing the intelligence of the audience. I was qualifying the ability of the entertainer. You missed the part about typical ( meaning all walks of life ) audience and “under your command”
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Holy Grail of Peek devices » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL