The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Ace of Spades puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
This posted today on the Guardian newspaper website.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021......f-spades

Mike
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
That first question is one of those infuriating puzzles that you do not want to believe the answers even when they were explained. I worked out 1 + 2 but still cannot believe 3!
A Keeper
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
(3) seems so unbelievable because a "yes" answer is so improbable (1/52) that, in the vast majority of cases (51/52), the probability of guessing correctly is 1/51. It's hard to believe that the unlikely scenario when the card is actually the Ace of Spades can change matters so dramatically so that the overall probability is 1/26.

Intuitively it would seem even more implausible if a random number between 1 and 1000 was selected and you then asked "Is it 482?" But the theory remains the same and a Monte Carlo type simulation should confirm that the probability of guessing correctly in this case is 1/500.

Mike
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Chess engines can now use monte carlo simulation to coalesce around the best move
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Ace of Spades puzzle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL